IE7 not resolving after SP1 install

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Tom McNally

IE7 not resolving after SP1 install
After Vista SP1 installed a couple nights ago, browing to a website has come
to a crawl, taking 10 secs or more to load a simple page (if at all), and it
would appear that the DNS is not resolving correctly (I always see the IP
address in the lower left of Explorer -- not the resolved name).

I disabled phishing filtering and defender but that didn't resolve the
issue. Am on a simple Win2003 server SP1 domain, running DNS for a public
website, and the usual ADS, DHCP, etc. A hardware firewall acts as my
perimeter DNS router -- routing web 80 requests from the cable modem to the
server's internal address on the network. Vista firewall is disabled. This
config has been running fine for years w/o issue. My laptop, which is also
Vista but not SP1, pops fine; and the Win2003 server the same -- IE 7 on
both. Just the SP1 machine has this issue. Norton 360 AV on the 2
workstations and most of the software is the same for the Vista machines
apart from the SP1. DHCP points only to Win2003 DNS for resolution -- not
external DNS servers of my ISP. Of course the firebox has the external DNS
nameserver addresses.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks in advance (I cross-posted to IE7 as well)
Bob

Re: IE7 not resolving after SP1 install

Norton is likely causing your problem.

Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
known to cause problems in which don’t always appear immediately.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
going to disinherit me.

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Tom McNally" <TomMcNally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After Vista SP1 installed a couple nights ago, browing to a website has
> come
> to a crawl, taking 10 secs or more to load a simple page (if at all), and
> it
> would appear that the DNS is not resolving correctly (I always see the IP
> address in the lower left of Explorer -- not the resolved name).
>
> I disabled phishing filtering and defender but that didn't resolve the
> issue. Am on a simple Win2003 server SP1 domain, running DNS for a public
> website, and the usual ADS, DHCP, etc. A hardware firewall acts as my
> perimeter DNS router -- routing web 80 requests from the cable modem to
> the
> server's internal address on the network. Vista firewall is disabled.
> This
> config has been running fine for years w/o issue. My laptop, which is
> also
> Vista but not SP1, pops fine; and the Win2003 server the same -- IE 7 on
> both. Just the SP1 machine has this issue. Norton 360 AV on the 2
> workstations and most of the software is the same for the Vista machines
> apart from the SP1. DHCP points only to Win2003 DNS for resolution --
> not
> external DNS servers of my ISP. Of course the firebox has the external
> DNS
> nameserver addresses.
>
> Any ideas/thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance (I cross-posted to IE7 as well)

Tom McNally

Re: IE7 not resolving after SP1 install
Although I admit Norton 360 does have issues, this was not the root cause of
my problem. I reinstalled Vista from scratch w/o installing any programs --
Norton included -- and found that once again upon installing SP1, my internet
connection and web-site resolution was poor at best.

After walking through various scenarios with the Microsoft Help Desk, I
finally found the cause: The problem lay in my DHCP and DNS settings on my
2003 server. While I had correctly setup my DNS server, I had inadvertently
opened up the port on my firewall for DNS resolution, pointing to the
server's IP address on the local network. So in effect the DNS server was
attempting to resolve names (wasn't necessary since this is just for internal
resolution) and since I had DNS set for secure dynamic updates only, to
AD-trusted servers, I was excluding 90% of the non-Unix based name servers
out there.

Once I cleaned that up (shut down the DNS services port on the firewall and
modified some DHCP settings) everything went smoothly; in fact, my speed
increased 3x through my ISP. Obviously SP1 is less forgiving (more secure)
than its predecessor; just unfortunate that I had to go and reinstall
everything just to be sure.

Norton 360 (I upgraded to ver 2) doesn't hinder me at all. Works better
than ver 1 and is a little more transparent. I like the low memory footprint
of this program and think that Symantec finally has something worthwhile
after several years of bloated antivirus programs (and I have tried just
about all of them -- including AVG)

-Tom

BTW, Acronis, which I use for HD imaging, took over 10 hours to recover my
image stored on a USB drive. It takes about 1.5 hours to backup the entire
265Gigs, but 10x that when restoring. Next time around will partition better
so the files are kept separate, should I have to restore again.

"Bob" wrote:

> Norton is likely causing your problem.
>
> Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
> Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
> it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
> known to cause problems in which don’t always appear immediately.
>
> Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
> computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
> ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
> goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
> 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
> going to disinherit me.
>

> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "Tom McNally" <TomMcNally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After Vista SP1 installed a couple nights ago, browing to a website has
> > come
> > to a crawl, taking 10 secs or more to load a simple page (if at all), and
> > it
> > would appear that the DNS is not resolving correctly (I always see the IP
> > address in the lower left of Explorer -- not the resolved name).
> >
> > I disabled phishing filtering and defender but that didn't resolve the
> > issue. Am on a simple Win2003 server SP1 domain, running DNS for a public
> > website, and the usual ADS, DHCP, etc. A hardware firewall acts as my
> > perimeter DNS router -- routing web 80 requests from the cable modem to
> > the
> > server's internal address on the network. Vista firewall is disabled.
> > This
> > config has been running fine for years w/o issue. My laptop, which is
> > also
> > Vista but not SP1, pops fine; and the Win2003 server the same -- IE 7 on
> > both. Just the SP1 machine has this issue. Norton 360 AV on the 2
> > workstations and most of the software is the same for the Vista machines
> > apart from the SP1. DHCP points only to Win2003 DNS for resolution --
> > not
> > external DNS servers of my ISP. Of course the firebox has the external
> > DNS
> > nameserver addresses.
> >
> > Any ideas/thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks in advance (I cross-posted to IE7 as well)

.Joe

Tom McNally;659874 Wrote:
> [...]

> > > 'Download and run the Norton Removal Tool'

> > (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039)
> > >
> > > It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of

> > your
> > > computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to

> > do or
> > > ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere

> > with its
> > > goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes

> > Norton
> > > 360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she

> > was
> > > going to disinherit me.
> > >

> > > -------
> > > *Report back, please*
> > > [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are

> > replying to so
> > > that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

It sounds like you're working again. That's good news. If we can help
with anything else, just give us a post.

Best wishes.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_*::Click_here_for_the_Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4050 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/42901\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Tom McNally

Re: IE7 not resolving after SP1 install
Thanks for the help. Just wish I could have figured this out w/o wasting a
nice weekend re-installing (or considering the weekend, "resurrecting" is
more apropos) software that didn't need to be reinstalled... But that is of
course one of the joys of computing!