Uninstalling Anti Virus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

KelStar

Uninstalling Anti Virus
The AVG anti virus free trial has ended so I have tried to remove the program
using the 'unistall a program' feature on my laptop. It seem to remove
sucessfully but when checking the security, it still shows AVG as
running....Is there anything you can suggest to remove the program before I
install a new anti virus??
Charlie42

Re: Uninstalling Anti Virus
"KelStar" <KelStar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The AVG anti virus free trial has ended so I have tried to remove the
> program using the 'unistall a program' feature on my laptop. It seem to
> remove sucessfully but when checking the security, it still shows AVG
> as running....Is there anything you can suggest to remove the program
> before I install a new anti virus??

Make sure all the AVG services have been stopped, deactivated and removed
from your system. Do this by running 'services.msc' from the start menu
search box, you need administrator privileges. You may have to reinstall AVG
first, then kill the services before uninstalling.

Please report back if the problem persists.

Charlie42

Chris

Re: Uninstalling Anti Virus
KelStar wrote:
> Is there anything you can suggest to remove the program before I
> install a new anti virus??

Try rebooting, and see if it is still running. Sometimes cleanup is
performed on reboot.

-Chris

Bob

Re: Uninstalling Anti Virus
Why not continue to use AVG Free?
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"KelStar" <KelStar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The AVG anti virus free trial has ended so I have tried to remove the
> program
> using the 'unistall a program' feature on my laptop. It seem to remove
> sucessfully but when checking the security, it still shows AVG as
> running....Is there anything you can suggest to remove the program before
> install a new anti virus??

JohnDavid

Re: Uninstalling Anti Virus
Additionally, uninstalling while in Safe Mode may help.

"Charlie42" wrote:

> "KelStar" <KelStar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > The AVG anti virus free trial has ended so I have tried to remove the
> > program using the 'unistall a program' feature on my laptop. It seem to
> > remove sucessfully but when checking the security, it still shows AVG
> > as running....Is there anything you can suggest to remove the program
> > before I install a new anti virus??

> Make sure all the AVG services have been stopped, deactivated and removed
> from your system. Do this by running 'services.msc' from the start menu
> search box, you need administrator privileges. You may have to reinstall AVG
> first, then kill the services before uninstalling.
>
> Please report back if the problem persists.
>
> Charlie42

Gordon

Re: Uninstalling Anti Virus
"KelStar" <KelStar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The AVG anti virus free trial has ended so I have tried to remove the
> program
> using the 'unistall a program' feature on my laptop. It seem to remove
> sucessfully but when checking the security, it still shows AVG as
> running....Is there anything you can suggest to remove the program before
> install a new anti virus??

I think the free trial of the commercial version reverts to the free version
on expiry....