Access Denied to C: as administrator

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Sarah

Access Denied to C: as administrator
The sercurity settings for permissons were changed by another person using my
computer. They have denied all permissions as the administrator and i am now
unable to use or change any of the settings on my computer as access has been
denied to C Drive, is there a way to undo these settings to reset the
sercurity settings?
davidjchuang

Re: Access Denied to C: as administrator

Sarah;652633 Wrote:
> The sercurity settings for permissons were changed by another person
> using my
> computer. They have denied all permissions as the administrator and i
> am now
> unable to use or change any of the settings on my computer as access
> has been
> denied to C Drive, is there a way to undo these settings to reset the
> sercurity settings?

I am not an expert, first and foremost. But I think I can help you.
1.) you need to activate the Real Built-in Administrator. Click Vista
Tutorials at the top of the page. First one on the list is How to Enable
or Disable the Real Built-in Administrator Account by Shawn aka Brink.
Once you have the real McCoy in the system, check all user accounts,
remove the offending one, might have to change your own password in
order to prevent that person to gain access to your computer again.
2.) change or reset the security settings : -
bring up the (OS) C drive, right click > click Properties > Security
>Advance > Effective Permission > Select > enter ( your name

)\administrators > click OK.
You should now regain full control of your computer. Please inform if
it is successful or not. Good luck.

--
davidjchuang
Sarah

Re: Access Denied to C: as administrator
i can not do any of this as i have no access to anything! thanks anyways let
me know if you have any other ideas!

"davidjchuang" wrote:

> Sarah;652633 Wrote:
> > The sercurity settings for permissons were changed by another person
> > using my
> > computer. They have denied all permissions as the administrator and i
> > am now
> > unable to use or change any of the settings on my computer as access
> > has been
> > denied to C Drive, is there a way to undo these settings to reset the
> > sercurity settings?

> I am not an expert, first and foremost. But I think I can help you.
> 1.) you need to activate the Real Built-in Administrator. Click Vista
> Tutorials at the top of the page. First one on the list is How to Enable
> or Disable the Real Built-in Administrator Account by Shawn aka Brink.
> Once you have the real McCoy in the system, check all user accounts,
> remove the offending one, might have to change your own password in
> order to prevent that person to gain access to your computer again.
> 2.) change or reset the security settings : -
> bring up the (OS) C drive, right click > click Properties > Security
> >Advance > Effective Permission > Select > enter ( your name

> )\administrators > click OK.
> You should now regain full control of your computer. Please inform if
> it is successful or not. Good luck.
>

> --
> davidjchuang

Bob

Re: Access Denied to C: as administrator
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista

http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Sarah;654208 Wrote:
> i can not do any of this as i have no access to anything! thanks anyways
> let
> me know if you have any other ideas!
>
> "davidjchuang" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Sarah;652633 Wrote:
> > >
> > > I am not an expert, first and foremost. But I think I can help you.
> > > 1.) you need to activate the Real Built-in Administrator. Click Vista
> > > Tutorials at the top of the page. First one on the list is How to

> > Enable
> > > or Disable the Real Built-in Administrator Account by Shawn aka

> > Brink.
> > > Once you have the real McCoy in the system, check all user accounts,
> > > remove the offending one, might have to change your own password in
> > > order to prevent that person to gain access to your computer again.
> > > 2.) change or reset the security settings : -
> > > bring up the (OS) C drive, right click > click Properties > Security
> > > )\administrators > click OK.
> > > You should now regain full control of your computer. Please inform if
> > > it is successful or not. Good luck.
> > >

> > > --
> > > davidjchuang

Sarah, can you click on the start menu ? If you can, then you can
enable the Real Built-in Administrator. Here is how : _
1. Start menu > type cmd on the search box
2. cmd program will appear at the top of the panel, right click that
3. click Run As Administrator, press Continue when prompt
4.a black & white window appears, type the following ------------
net_user_administrator_/active:yes
( note that "_" represents a space before the next word )
5. press Enter key on your key board. The window will indicate if your
request is successful or not. If not re-type the command and
watch for spacing. Don't use upper cast letters.
6. if it is successful, close the window. Logoff , and you will see an
Administrator account next to your account and other user accts.( if
any)
7. click on that new acct. and the system will start setting up the
desk top for that new acct. When it's done, you now use it as I posted
earlier
8. should you decide to remove the all powerful acct., just repeat the
steps Except at step 4 type active:no instead of active:yes . Please let
us know if it's ok this time. Good luck.
PS. Part of the reset settings procedures was missing , it got into a
quote. Must have hit a wrong key. Trace back to my earlier post and
include that quote as the continuation of the procedures.

--
davidjchuang

davidjchuang;654418 Wrote:
> > Sarah;654208 Wrote:
> > i can not do any of this as i have no access to anything! thanks anyways
> > let
> > me know if you have any other ideas!
> >
> > "davidjchuang" wrote:
> > > >

> Sarah, can you click on the start menu ? If you can, then you can
> enable the Real Built-in Administrator. Here is how : _
> 1. Start menu > type cmd on the search box
> 2. cmd program will appear at the top of the panel, right click that
> 3. click Run As Administrator, press Continue when prompt
> 4.a black & white window appears, type the following ------------
> net_user_administrator_/active:yes
> ( note that "_" represents a space before the next word )
> 5. press Enter key on your key board. The window will indicate if
> your request is successful or not. If not re-type the command and
> watch for spacing. Don't use upper cast letters.
> 6. if it is successful, close the window. Logoff , and you will see
> an Administrator account next to your account and other user accts.(
> if any)
> 7. click on that new acct. and the system will start setting up the
> desk top for that new acct. When it's done, you now use it as I posted
> earlier
> 8. should you decide to remove the all powerful acct., just repeat
> the steps Except at step 4 type active:no instead of active:yes .
> Please let us know if it's ok this time. Good luck.
> PS. Part of the reset settings procedures was missing , it got into a
> quote. Must have hit a wrong key. Trace back to my earlier post and
> include that quote as the continuation of the procedures.

Sarah, I hope you have not given up as you have not responded to my
last post. Anyway, I actually have problem understanding what you mean
by " I have no access to anythig ---". Are you unable to logon, and
you're using someone's computer to post this question? Here is one more
method :
1.) power off . Then power on and Immediately start tapping F8 key
continuously until a black & white screen appears.
2.) use the up/ down arrow keys , stop at Safe Mode. Press Enter key.
3.) the built-in Administrator should appear. Click that ( no password
is needed.) Now use it to remove user account(s), check yours as well in
case it has been altered. Then go reset the permissions, etc. Good luck
and don't forget to reply your progress.

--
davidjchuang

frintonp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right click on the drive,properties,security,advanced,then change the settings to take full control of the disk
Richard L. Miga

Re: Access Denied to C: as administrator
davejchuang,
I have the same issue as Sarah. I was working on trying to get two computers
networked and was changing and looking at OneCare parameters when I did
something that has resulted in not being able to access the c drive. Unlike
Sarah, I am able to boot the laptop to my desktop, but when I activate
windows explore it lists the c drive as "access denmnied" and will not let me
have access to the drive. However, I can run Outlook and it allows me access
to my email files which are stored on the c drive. However, I can not network
into the laptop which by the way is running Vista Business 32 bit. I have
also tried the recoomended actions you and others have indicated in this
tread. I was able to establish a new account via "net user administrator
/active:yes", but when I try to "change or reset the security settings : -
bring up the (OS) C drive, right click > click Properties > Security
>Advance > Effective Permission > Select > enter ( your name

)\administrators > click OK." I get to the "Effective Permissions" tab and
it indicates:

Object name: c:\
to continue, you must be an administive user with permission to view this
object's security properties.
Do you want to continue?

I hit the "Contiue" button an receive the Windows Security dialog box
indicating "Can't open access control editor. Access is denied."

When I tried "bob's" suggestion to modify the registry to "Add "Take
Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista" I get an error message indicating
that there is an invalid registry command and thus have not been able to add
the Take Ownership function.

As such, I would apprecaite any help anyone can provide which will allow me
to regain access to the c drive.
Thanks,

Richard L. Miga

"davidjchuang" wrote:

> davidjchuang;654418 Wrote:
> > > Sarah;654208 Wrote:
> > > i can not do any of this as i have no access to anything! thanks anyways
> > > let
> > > me know if you have any other ideas!
> > >
> > > "davidjchuang" wrote:
> > > > >

> > Sarah, can you click on the start menu ? If you can, then you can
> > enable the Real Built-in Administrator. Here is how : _
> > 1. Start menu > type cmd on the search box
> > 2. cmd program will appear at the top of the panel, right click that
> > 3. click Run As Administrator, press Continue when prompt
> > 4.a black & white window appears, type the following ------------
> > net_user_administrator_/active:yes
> > ( note that "_" represents a space before the next word )
> > 5. press Enter key on your key board. The window will indicate if
> > your request is successful or not. If not re-type the command and
> > watch for spacing. Don't use upper cast letters.
> > 6. if it is successful, close the window. Logoff , and you will see
> > an Administrator account next to your account and other user accts.(
> > if any)
> > 7. click on that new acct. and the system will start setting up the
> > desk top for that new acct. When it's done, you now use it as I posted
> > earlier
> > 8. should you decide to remove the all powerful acct., just repeat
> > the steps Except at step 4 type active:no instead of active:yes .
> > Please let us know if it's ok this time. Good luck.
> > PS. Part of the reset settings procedures was missing , it got into a
> > quote. Must have hit a wrong key. Trace back to my earlier post and
> > include that quote as the continuation of the procedures.

> Sarah, I hope you have not given up as you have not responded to my
> last post. Anyway, I actually have problem understanding what you mean
> by " I have no access to anythig ---". Are you unable to logon, and
> you're using someone's computer to post this question? Here is one more
> method :
> 1.) power off . Then power on and Immediately start tapping F8 key
> continuously until a black & white screen appears.
> 2.) use the up/ down arrow keys , stop at Safe Mode. Press Enter key.
> 3.) the built-in Administrator should appear. Click that ( no password
> is needed.) Now use it to remove user account(s), check yours as well in
> case it has been altered. Then go reset the permissions, etc. Good luck
> and don't forget to reply your progress.
>

> --
> davidjchuang

Richard L. Miga

Re: Access Denied to C: as administrator
After posting my message for help, I did a search over all the Vista Forums
instead of just the security for8um and found the following:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...xp=&sloc=en-us

To make a long story short, I followed the instructions given in the post at
the above URL and I WAS ABLE TO GAIN ACCRESS TO MY DRIVE. For purposes of
completness in one location the proceddure is copied below:

AAD213 wrote:

Success! I can't believe it but I was able to take back full ownership of my
C: drive and got all 37gb of my stuff back. I thank those that tried to help
me and gave me clues to fix the problem. Below are the steps as to how I made
It work for my retail version of Vista Ultimate.

These steps might help some else with a similar UAC/ACL complete root
"Access Denied" issues to the point where even if you are logged into your
Admin account it still doesn't let you create accounts or modify any
important settings/permissions etc.

Step 1:
Clicked: Start Menu
Click: Run
Type: net user administrator /active:yes
Close All Other Applications And Reboot Your System.

Step 2:
Click/Login To The Administrator Account.
Clicked: Start Menu
Click: Run
Type: Regedit
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Right Click On: EnableLUA
Click: Modify
Change: Value Data To A 0
Click: OK

Step 3:
Right Click On: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Click: Permissions
Click: CREATOR OWNER
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: SYSTEM
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: Administrators
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click On Users
Click: Remove
Click: Your Account Name If It Shows
Click: Remove
Click: OK

Step 4:
Right Click On: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click: Permissions
Click: SYSTEM
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: Administrators
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: OK

Step 5:
Right Click On: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click: Permissions
Click: Everyone
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: RESTRICTED
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: SYSTEM
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: Administrators
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: OK

Step 6:
Right Click On: HKEY_USERS
Click: Permissions
Click: Everyone
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: RESTRICTED
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: SYSTEM
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: Administrators
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click On Users If It Shows
Click: Remove
Click: Your Account Name If It Shows
Click: Remove
Click: OK

Step 7:
Right Click On: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
Click: Permissions
Click: CREATOR OWNER
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: Administrators
Check: All Allow Boxes
Click: Apply
Click: OK
Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System.

Step 8:
Click/Login To The Available Regular/Owner Account.
Clicked: Start Menu
Click: Control Panel
Click: Add Or Remove User Acounts
Create A New User Account And Logoff.
Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System.

Step 9:
Click/Login To Your New Created Account.
Right Click On The Drive Or Directory You Lost Access To.
Click: Properties
Click: Security
Click: Advance
At The Permissions Tab.
Click: Edit
Click: Add
Type The Name Of The Recently New Created Account.
Click: Check Names
Your New Account Name Should Fully Show Up.
Click: OK
A Permission Screen Should Show Up.
Click On The Allow Box Where It Says Full Control.
Where It Says "Apply To:" Choose The "This Folder, Subfolders And Files"
Option.
Click: OK
Again At The Permissions Tab Click On Your New Created Account.
Click: Apply
Click Yes On The Security Popup To Change Your Allow Permissions.
If An Errors Occur Just Click Continue.
Once The Process Finishes, Reboot Your System And Login To Your New Account.
You Should Now Have Access Back Into Your Hard Drive Or Directory.

Note: There Maybe Better/Shorter Ways Out There To Do This But In My
Situation They Were Not Working. The Above Steps Are What Worked For Me But
May Not Work For You. Please Make Sure You Are Having Similar Issues To Mine
Before Trying The Above Steps...

My thanks go out to AAD213 and I hope this post will be helpful to others
who expereince this challenge.

Richard L. Miga

PS: I should point out that the sysytem still has some issues, but at least
I am able to backup the c drive prior to restoring the OS.

"Richard L. Miga" wrote:

> [...]

> > > include that quote as the continuation of the procedures.

> > Sarah, I hope you have not given up as you have not responded to my
> > last post. Anyway, I actually have problem understanding what you mean
> > by " I have no access to anythig ---". Are you unable to logon, and
> > you're using someone's computer to post this question? Here is one more
> > method :
> > 1.) power off . Then power on and Immediately start tapping F8 key
> > continuously until a black & white screen appears.
> > 2.) use the up/ down arrow keys , stop at Safe Mode. Press Enter key.
> > 3.) the built-in Administrator should appear. Click that ( no password
> > is needed.) Now use it to remove user account(s), check yours as well in
> > case it has been altered. Then go reset the permissions, etc. Good luck
> > and don't forget to reply your progress.

Richard L. Miga

Re: Access Denied to C: as administrator
Once I was able to access the c drive again I then ran accross a number of
other challenges such as a "server execution failed" error message which was
preventing being able to network to the laptop on which the access to the c
drive was denied. Since I needed to network to this ailing laptop in order
tio retrieve some large files and significant environmental parameters I came
accross the following URL when I searched for information on how to address
the "server execution failed" challenge:

http://www.xoxideforums.com/networki...tml#post989337

I then followed the information provided and low and behold the ailing
laptop began to act like it did prior to my mistake which caused the denied
access to the c drive. The procedure provided at the above URL appears to
restore appropriate file protections.

I have included this information in this threead in order to assist those
who might have a similar problem as a result of tryi9ng to work with OneCare.

Hope This Is Of Value,

Richard L. Miga