Bitlocker Requirements

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Mark

Bitlocker Requirements
Using Vista Ultimate: When I attempted to turn on Bitlocker I received two
prompts:

1. The drive configuration is unsuitable for BitLocker Encryption. To use
BitLocker, please re-partition your hard drive according to the BitLocker
Requirements.
This prompt gave a link to a Help File which states:

a. At least two partitions (also called volumes).

b. One partition is for the operating system drive (typically drive
C) that BitLocker will encrypt, and one is for the active partition, which
must remain unencrypted to start the computer. The size of the active
partition must be at least 1.5 gigabytes (GB).

c. Both partitions must be formatted with the NTFS file system.

My drives current specs:
C: 44 GB, NTFS, System, Boot, Page File, ACTIVE, Crash Dump, Primary
Partition
D: 40 GB, NTFS, Primary Partition
E: 20 GB, NTFS, Primary Partition
F: 15 GB, NTFS, Logical Drive
K: 30 GB, NTFS, Logical Drive

Are these requirements stating that the ACTIVE partition cannot be Drive
C?

2. A TPM was not found. A TPM is required to turn on BitLocker. If your
computer has a TPM, then contact the computer manufacturer for
BitLocker-compatible BIOS.
Because BitLocker stores its own encryption and decryption key in a
hardware device that is separate from your hard disk, you must have one of
the following:

a. A computer with Trusted Platform Module (TPM), which is a special
microchip in some newer computers that supports advanced security features.
If your computer was manufactured with TPM version 1.2 or higher, BitLocker
will store its key in the TPM.

b. A removable USB memory device, such as a USB flash drive. If your
computer doesn't have TPM version 1.2 or higher, BitLocker will store its
key on the flash drive.

The prompt received indicates that a USB device is not acceptable,
despite the Help File information. Can a USB be used? How do I make it
recognize the alternative device?

Thanks!

Mark

Re: Bitlocker Requirements
I answered my own question by searching this newgroup a little more:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905089.aspx