services in vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbFdhcmRzdGlsbA==?=

services in vista
I have disabled some services that I do not want running but they still seem
to want to start. How can I disable them so they will not run? The services
in question are: security center, windows Defender. There are other services
like Bluetooth that I don't use and the laptop does not have anyway and they
do not cause any problems.

I can right click on the icon in the tray and turn off security center, but
it still should not even start when the service is disabled.

Defender puts an icon in the tray stating that it failed to start, and I
have to right click it and choose exit. This just doesn't seem right.
=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

RE: services in vista
You cannot disable those services. There are protections in Vista that
prevents the security-relevant services from being disabled, under normal
operations.

"PhilWardstill" wrote:

> I have disabled some services that I do not want running but they still seem
> to want to start. How can I disable them so they will not run? The services
> in question are: security center, windows Defender. There are other services
> like Bluetooth that I don't use and the laptop does not have anyway and they
> do not cause any problems.
>
> I can right click on the icon in the tray and turn off security center, but
> it still should not even start when the service is disabled.
>
> Defender puts an icon in the tray stating that it failed to start, and I
> have to right click it and choose exit. This just doesn't seem right.

Robert Moir

Re: services in vista

"PhilWardstill" <PhilWardstill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have disabled some services that I do not want running but they still
>seem
> to want to start. How can I disable them so they will not run? The
> services
> in question are: security center, windows Defender. There are other
> services
> like Bluetooth that I don't use and the laptop does not have anyway and
> they
> do not cause any problems.
>
> I can right click on the icon in the tray and turn off security center,
> but
> it still should not even start when the service is disabled.
>
> Defender puts an icon in the tray stating that it failed to start, and I
> have to right click it and choose exit. This just doesn't seem right.

Can't comment on Security Centre (not sure why you would want this turned
off?).

Defender comes in two parts, the service that runs in the background and
does what it does - you've disabled this already, and a program that runs at
startup to interact with the user.

You've disabled the service and left the startup program running, and the
startup program is complaining that it can't connect to the service. This
makes sense enough to me, I have to say. Stop the startup program too, and
all should be well.

Bytesback

Re: services in vista

Once you have disabled the security centre you can then disbale all the
others.

Heres how to finally rid yourself of the security centre

- Go to Start --> Run and type "cmd" without the quotes.
- Type "cd\" followed by "cd windows\system32".
- Now run the following commands:
- takeown /f wscapi.dll
- takeown /f wscsvc.dll
- takeown /f wscui.cpl
- Now you have ownership of the files. Go into the system32
directory in explorer and right click each file, go to the
security tab and add an entry for everyone and give them full
access permissions.
- Disable the Security Center Service via services.msc if you
have not already done so.
- In the system32 folder rename the three mentioned dll's
(change their file extension to .bak).
- To get rid of the Security Center service from services.msc
drop to a command prompt and type the following:
- "REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\WSCSVC
/F", hit enter and reboot.
- Enjoy no more nagging or icon in your system tray!

--
Bytesback
Bytesback's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1668

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbFdhcmRzdGlsbA==?=

Re: services in vista
Thank you for the suggestions. could not run the takeown commands. Took
ownership via the properties option. Used msconfig to turn off Defender-it
still seems to want to start. No more SC though.

Thank you again.
Phil

"Bytesback" wrote:

> Once you have disabled the security centre you can then disbale all the
> others.
>
> Heres how to finally rid yourself of the security centre
>

> - Go to Start --> Run and type "cmd" without the quotes.
> - Type "cd\" followed by "cd windows\system32".
> - Now run the following commands:
> - takeown /f wscapi.dll
> - takeown /f wscsvc.dll
> - takeown /f wscui.cpl
> - Now you have ownership of the files. Go into the system32
> directory in explorer and right click each file, go to the
> security tab and add an entry for everyone and give them full
> access permissions.
> - Disable the Security Center Service via services.msc if you
> have not already done so.
> - In the system32 folder rename the three mentioned dll's
> (change their file extension to .bak).
> - To get rid of the Security Center service from services.msc
> drop to a command prompt and type the following:
> - "REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\WSCSVC
> /F", hit enter and reboot.
> - Enjoy no more nagging or icon in your system tray!
>

> --
> Bytesback
> Bytesback's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1668
> View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47418

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: services in vista
Do I need to point out that you just voided Microsoft's support on your
system?

"PhilWardstill" wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions. could not run the takeown commands. Took
> ownership via the properties option. Used msconfig to turn off Defender-it
> still seems to want to start. No more SC though.
>
> Thank you again.
> Phil
>
> "Bytesback" wrote:
>

> > Once you have disabled the security centre you can then disbale all the
> > others.
> >
> > Heres how to finally rid yourself of the security centre
> >

> > - Go to Start --> Run and type "cmd" without the quotes.
> > - Type "cd\" followed by "cd windows\system32".
> > - Now run the following commands:
> > - takeown /f wscapi.dll
> > - takeown /f wscsvc.dll
> > - takeown /f wscui.cpl
> > - Now you have ownership of the files. Go into the system32
> > directory in explorer and right click each file, go to the
> > security tab and add an entry for everyone and give them full
> > access permissions.
> > - Disable the Security Center Service via services.msc if you
> > have not already done so.
> > - In the system32 folder rename the three mentioned dll's
> > (change their file extension to .bak).
> > - To get rid of the Security Center service from services.msc
> > drop to a command prompt and type the following:
> > - "REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\WSCSVC
> > /F", hit enter and reboot.
> > - Enjoy no more nagging or icon in your system tray!
> >

> > --
> > Bytesback
> > Bytesback's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1668
> > View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47418

Bytesback

Re: services in vista

And......................................:confused :

PhilWardstill;227345 Wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestions. could not run the takeown commands. Took
> ownership via the properties option. Used msconfig to turn off
> Defender-it
> still seems to want to start. No more SC though.
>
> Thank you again.
> Phil

My apologies, I Messed up in the instructions, nothing that will cause
any problems, but just makes it easeier.Have amended the instructions
now

--
Bytesback
Bytesback's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1668
View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47418

=?Utf-8?B?SmVzcGVy?=

Re: services in vista
> And......................................:confused :

You've disabled crucial features of the operating system. It is now anyone's
guess whether the system will work properly, whether you can install any new
programs, updates or service packs, whether the system is still considered
genuine for purposes of downloading add-ons from Microsoft, or whether the
system will even continue to run properly over the longer term.

The OS was designed around these features being there and available. It has
not been tested without them.
Bytesback

Re: services in vista

No, it isn't anyones guess. Do you think I do this stuff on a whim ?
Dont you think I test to see if things still work ? If Microsoft
hadn't been so ludricrously over the top with their security perhaps I
wouldn't mind. But being forced to use their tools ,( which, by the
way, dont actually do their job ) Is a downright cheek. As to
Microsofts Licensing, IE: is it still genuine, well they can go and
sing. And as for Microsoft support, Have you tried it ?

Curious law in the UK states that for an agreement to exist it must be
either Verbal or Signed. Ticking a box doesn't cut the mustard. So, the
EULA is entirely worthless anyway. Dont get me going here or I'll tear
the whole EULA to bits as to why it, in itself, is Illegal under uK
law.