Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2008
PEF
 

Posts: n/a
2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
Hello community

Is it valid to install 2 antivirus instead of one? in this specific case AVG
and AVAST, will they work well together? or will inhibit?

Regards

PEF

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2008
Charlie42
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
"PEF" <pefl@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is it valid to install 2 antivirus instead of one? in this specific case
> AVG and AVAST, will they work well together? or will inhibit?


It is generally unwise to run multiple anti viruses and firewalls. Such
programs may conflict (try to fight each other), and cause performance or
connection problems. In most cases things work out, but I really do not
think it is worth the risk and the slow-down. Uninstall one of them.

If you feel a need for a second opinion, you can download and run another AV
software or try an online scanner every now and then. Beware that online
scanners are advertising tools though, they tend to exaggerate positives.
Vista is a pretty secure OS, keep it patched and exercise sound judgement
when online, and you should be OK with the one AV.

Charlie42

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2008
PEF
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
Thanks Charlie for your great feedback, have a good weekend.
I will follow your recommendations.

Regards

PEF


"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
news:26491AB9-D97A-44A9-9D99-63C26A4EEFE6@microsoft.com...
> "PEF" <pefl@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it valid to install 2 antivirus instead of one? in this specific case
>> AVG and AVAST, will they work well together? or will inhibit?

>
> It is generally unwise to run multiple anti viruses and firewalls. Such
> programs may conflict (try to fight each other), and cause performance or
> connection problems. In most cases things work out, but I really do not
> think it is worth the risk and the slow-down. Uninstall one of them.
>
> If you feel a need for a second opinion, you can download and run another
> AV software or try an online scanner every now and then. Beware that
> online scanners are advertising tools though, they tend to exaggerate
> positives. Vista is a pretty secure OS, keep it patched and exercise sound
> judgement when online, and you should be OK with the one AV.
>
> Charlie42


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2008
Charlie42
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
"PEF" <pefl@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Charlie for your great feedback, have a good weekend.
> I will follow your recommendations.


You are welcome, and a good weekend to you as well.

Charlie42
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2008
Ken Blake, MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:00:03 -0400, "PEF" <pefl@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello community
>
> Is it valid to install 2 antivirus instead of one? in this specific case AVG
> and AVAST, will they work well together? or will inhibit?




You can install as many as you want, but do not *run* two at once.
There is a decided risk of their conflicting with each other, and
causing problems.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2008
robert.stojanov@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
Don't try it because they will mess your system. Always use one AV
program...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008
JohnDavid
 

Posts: n/a
RE: 2 antivirus installed (AVG & Avast)
And yet another opinion: have been running 2 AV pgms on 2 Vista machines for
some time with no problem. But here is the key: for one of the AV products,
DO NOT install (or activate) the resident portion (the module that constantly
monitors open and execution of of files). Doing so most likely result in
conflict.

The 2nd AV I use is AVG, with the 'resident shield' not installed. I just
use AVG for periodic system wide scans, as a crosscheck against the other AV
product.

"PEF" wrote:

> Hello community
>
> Is it valid to install 2 antivirus instead of one? in this specific case AVG
> and AVAST, will they work well together? or will inhibit?
>
> Regards
>
> PEF
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
posso continuare ad usare Avast come antivirus? sabina microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 3 03-09-2008 12:10
Installed avast,cannot connect to internet lakota microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 11 01-07-2008 20:25
Pare-feu et Avast Antivirus valérie microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.securite 1 11-06-2007 19:18
[antivirus] Perchč vista non riconosce Avast?...me Ricc@rdo microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 1 10-01-2007 17:37




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:53.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120