Temporary Internet Files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jay

Temporary Internet Files
When I try to print a web site image to an Adobe PDF file, Vista states that
for security purposes the pdf file will be placed in a "virtual" temporary
internet file folder, then opens the virtual folder on C drive, but then
doesn't save the file in the folder. I've been able to work around the
problem by disabling all user account control security, but there has to be
an easier way. I'd like to save files without security forcing them to a
specific folder. Ideas? Thanks.
Jesper

RE: Temporary Internet Files
How exactly are you printing? If you click the print icon and select the
"Adobe PDF" printer you will get a message stating that Internet Explorer is
trying to launch an external program. After that warning you can place the
printout anywhere you want.

I do not have it installed, but I presume Adobe still has a bunch of toolbar
add-on stuff for IE? If that is what you are using those run within process
in IE Protected Mode, and they would not have the ability to write to most of
the file system. This is a core security feature of IE in Vista which
prevents rogue web pages from reading and writing files outside a little
sandbox that consists mostly of the Temporary Internet Files. It is correct
that if you disable UAC you also lose IE Protected Mode, and any web page
that manages to run programs on your computer will be doing so with the full
privileges of your user account, exactly the way it worked in Windows XP.
That means they can place files anywhere on your computer, and, of course,
read any files they want and send them to criminals.

Hope this helps.
---

"Jay" wrote:

> When I try to print a web site image to an Adobe PDF file, Vista states that
> for security purposes the pdf file will be placed in a "virtual" temporary
> internet file folder, then opens the virtual folder on C drive, but then
> doesn't save the file in the folder. I've been able to work around the
> problem by disabling all user account control security, but there has to be
> an easier way. I'd like to save files without security forcing them to a
> specific folder. Ideas? Thanks.

susiesusie

Re: Temporary Internet Files

Hi...I am printing by selecting the print icon and then Adobe PDF, but I
do not get a message abou IE trying to launch an external program. Is
there any other fix for this besides adjusting the UAC? I am running IE
7 and Vista Business...please forgive me for being ignorant-I am pretty
new at some of this.

Thanks!
Susiesusie

--
susiesusie

Tulsaboyw is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ON my new vista based pc that I re-installed QUICKEN to...
It has a QUICKEN PDF PRINTER --- creates pdf files for me..

On my previous XP based pc (used to have quicken) but installed Xp
now runs a PDF printer called BULLZIP (a free pdf printer) per moving quicken to new machine.

If u are having any problems with pdf printing, get one that works.

If the adobe onei isnt working, there are dozens of workalikes..

Last edited by Tulsaboyw : 08-07-2008 at 15:17.
jaybart

Re: Temporary Internet Files

I have yet to find a solution to this problem anywhere else. A different
post by "Shonna" in this same section addresses how to download PDF
files and indicate where to save them, but not how to get around the
vista security setting that diverts any effort to print an internet page
into PDF into the temporary internet folder, wherever that may be.

To sum up the issue:

When viewing a web based email (e.g. Hotmail) or any other page, if you
select print, and then from the list of printers select your Adobe PDF
writer to print in PDF format directly to your desktop or whatever
location you select, upon printing stupid vista interrupts and states
that for security purposes the file was re-directed to a mystery
'Temporary Internet Files' folder, wherein the supposedly saved file is
not viewable even though the notification presents the option "open this
file?", and inspite of selecting the "show hidden files" option.

Any ideas out there on how to get around this??

--
jaybart
KenKen

Re: Temporary Internet Files
Have you tried searching for the file name on the windows vista search area
of the start menu?
http://www.mycuredcomputer.com