Revert to default security settings

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

KaPes

Revert to default security settings
Hi,

I want to ensure that, after mucking arond with various security settings
like services, registry settings, file system permissions etc. I should be
able to revert back Vista to pristine default security settings.

How to achieve that ?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
Malke

Re: Revert to default security settings
KaPes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to ensure that, after mucking arond with various security settings
> like services, registry settings, file system permissions etc. I should be
> able to revert back Vista to pristine default security settings.
>
> How to achieve that ?

HOW TO Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
.Joe

KaPes;646431 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to ensure that, after mucking arond with various security
> settings
> like services, registry settings, file system permissions etc. I should
> be
> able to revert back Vista to pristine default security settings.
>
> How to achieve that ?
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello.

I'd recommend creating a system restore point before making any
changes. That way if you want to change everything back, doing a system
restore should do the trick. There is also commercial imaging software
available that can image your hard drive, and if you have a problem, it
will bring it back to the time when you imaged it. I can get you a link
to one imager if you'd like.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=17621\")_
_CPU-Z_Verified (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179\")_
Jesper

Re: Revert to default security settings
What that article fails to point out is that it is impossible to revert
security settings to their defaults in a canonical way. You can get close,
and that article tells you how. However, for example, let's say you do this:
1. Change the ACL on the C:\ directory.
2. Create a folder called c:\foo
3. Create another folder called c:\bar and set its permissions to something
else.
4. Create a file in c:\foo\bar.text
5. Move the file c:\foo\bar.text to c:\bar\bar.text
6. Delect c:\foo
7. Revert permissions to the defaults.

What should the permissions be on c:\bar\bar.text?

The defltbase.inf template will be able to revert the file system and
registry keys that the OS laid down to their defaults. It can make no
guarantees that you get the correct permissions on things that were not laid
down during OS install. In fact, it is guaranteed that it won't because there
are permissions missing in that file. For instance, there are some trailing
Power User permissions in the registry that are not listed in that file. The
file does not contain permissions for %ProgramFiles%, nor for %SystemDrive%.

In short, the only way to revert a system conclusively to the default
security settings is to flatten the system and rebuild it from scratch.
---