Recommended AV program?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gordon

Recommended AV program?
As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use? (I
used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)

Thanks

Mark Veldhuis

Re: Recommended AV program?
Gordon was thinking very hard :
> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use? (I
> used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)

I myself use the free version of AVG.
From what I have read, Avast! does well under Vista too.

--

Kind regards,
Mark Veldhuis.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Recommended AV program?
Both Avast! and AVG will work with Vista, so if you were happy with Avast!
then there is no need to change. But, if you do feel like a change then go
for AVG. I like AVG's interface because it is more use friendly than Avast!

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use? (I
> used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)
>
> Thanks

Knot

Re: Recommended AV program?

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use? (I
> used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)
>
> Thanks

I still use Avast as I did under XP. It's fine under Vista.

Gordon

RE: Recommended AV program?
"Gordon" wrote:

> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use? (I
> used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)
>
> Thanks

Thanks to all the responders! I've gone with what I know and like - Avast!
Dustin Harper

Re: Recommended AV program?
Avast! works great, as does AVG Free (which I use and like).

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use? (I
> used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)
>
> Thanks

Bruce Chambers

Re: Recommended AV program?
Gordon wrote:
> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people use?
> (I used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)
>
> Thanks

Then you would probably like to continue using Avast. It's certainly
been working well for a great many other Vista users.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
mikk

serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Both Avast! and AVG will work with Vista, so if you were happy with Avast!
> then there is no need to change.

serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33336.0
RalfG

Re: serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch
A few mentions of an apparent issue but that thread is still just hearsay at
this point. I tried their suggested little test and couldn't really see much
difference in how fast apps opened. The initial loading of an app
(OpenOffice) took about 10 seconds but after that it only took about 3
seconds whether the Avast standard scanner was running or not. Similar
results with MS Works and Paint.Net. A 90MB Acrobat file took around 12
seconds to open the first time, just about 2 seconds on subsequent tries
whether Avast as running or stopped.

"mikk" <mikk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> Both Avast! and AVG will work with Vista, so if you were happy with
>> Avast!
>> then there is no need to change.

> serious BUG: Avast slows down Vista inhibiting the Superfetch:
> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33336.0

Chris Game

Re: Recommended AV program?
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:46:51 -0600, Bruce Chambers wrote:

>> As a new (4 hours!) Vista user, what AV programs, free, do people
>> use? (I used Avast! in XP and was quite happy with it....)
>>
>> Thanks

> Then you would probably like to continue using Avast. It's certainly
> been working well for a great many other Vista users.

Well of course the issue is how does it perform as an anti-virus
program, not how user friendly the interface is.

Try Avira if you don't like Avast.

--
Chris Game

"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it."
-- Albert Einstein