Rootkit

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ssplal

Rootkit

Hi
Today i scanned my system and got the following notification.
"The On-Demand Scan found alterations to code or data which may
indicate that a rootkit is attempting to hide files, registry keys,
processes or other items. If this scan fails to find anything then the
computer should be scanned with McAfee PreScan or booted into Safe Mode
and this scan run again"

What is the problem and what should i do now?
Please guide me.
Thanks

--
ssplal
Jeff Smith [MSFT]

RE: Rootkit
It sounds like your antivirus program has found evidence of a serious kind of
virus. You may be able to fix it by following the instructions that came
with your virus scanner. However, it's not always possible to recover an
infected computer. The safest course of action is to back up all your
documents and re-install Windows.

I'd strongly suggest that you not use that computer for internet banking or
other "secure" stuff.

"ssplal" wrote:

> Hi
> Today i scanned my system and got the following notification.
> "The On-Demand Scan found alterations to code or data which may
> indicate that a rootkit is attempting to hide files, registry keys,
> processes or other items. If this scan fails to find anything then the
> computer should be scanned with McAfee PreScan or booted into Safe Mode
> and this scan run again"
>
> What is the problem and what should i do now?
> Please guide me.
> Thanks
>

> --
> ssplal

Malke

Re: Rootkit
ssplal wrote:

> Hi
> Today i scanned my system and got the following notification.
> "The On-Demand Scan found alterations to code or data which may
> indicate that a rootkit is attempting to hide files, registry keys,
> processes or other items. If this scan fails to find anything then the
> computer should be scanned with McAfee PreScan or booted into Safe Mode
> and this scan run again"

McAfee isn't very good (and I'm being polite about it by saying only that).
It would be wise to scan with another antivirus/malware product to get a
"second opinion" first before you panic. I'd use David Lipman's Multi_AV:

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

If McAfee reported a particular file as the rootkit, you can also send it to
Virus Total for identification.

http://www.virustotal.com/

If your alternate scan comes up clean, I'd consider replacing McAfee with a
betteer security solution such as NOD32, Kaspersky, or even Avast if you
want something free.

Malke
--
MS-MVP