computer problems.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

karl

computer problems.
I am having problems with my computer. Installing new virus software like
onecare doesn't help. The problem may actually be related to onecare not
even being able to open. It says restart comp or contact support if problem
persists.
My disk defragmenter hasn't been working like it did when i first go my
computer around a year ago. it says it is degragmenting but just keeps
syaing that forever. This has been going on for about a month. Also my
windows defender won't open at all so i can't manage start up programs and
turn defender on off. It tells me i need to turn it on when i try to open it
but it won't let me turn it on.

I have noticed a wierd problem as well. everytime i restart my computer and
try to run windows update i get the same error. The error doesn't fix itself
though it resets itself after each restart. The fix for each pc session is
to open up services.msc and to select automatic for windows update.

For the other problems though there is not solution not even a solution that
resets itself.

I think my problem is a virus or somethign. But considering i installed
onecare and it won't open i am stuck. I have been able to have a person
connect with windows remote assistance. If someone is willing to do that
that would help.
Malke

Re: computer problems.
karl wrote:

> I am having problems with my computer. Installing new virus software like
> onecare doesn't help. The problem may actually be related to onecare not
> even being able to open. It says restart comp or contact support if
> problem persists.
> My disk defragmenter hasn't been working like it did when i first go my
> computer around a year ago. it says it is degragmenting but just keeps
> syaing that forever. This has been going on for about a month. Also my
> windows defender won't open at all so i can't manage start up programs and
> turn defender on off. It tells me i need to turn it on when i try to open
> it but it won't let me turn it on.
>
> I have noticed a wierd problem as well. everytime i restart my computer
> and
> try to run windows update i get the same error. The error doesn't fix
> itself
> though it resets itself after each restart. The fix for each pc session
> is to open up services.msc and to select automatic for windows update.
>
> For the other problems though there is not solution not even a solution
> that resets itself.
>
> I think my problem is a virus or somethign. But considering i installed
> onecare and it won't open i am stuck. I have been able to have a person
> connect with windows remote assistance. If someone is willing to do that
> that would help.

You would be enormously foolish to have a complete stranger whom you found
on Usenet connect to your computer remotely. You need to either go through
the virus/malware removal steps below or take your computer to a local
computer tech and have them clean it up for you.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. If you are unable to remove the infection by following the
general steps, register at one of the HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Kurt

Re: computer problems.
Karl;
How much space is left on your hard disk? Some of what you describe suggests
you are out of storage space and may need to delete some stuff. You should
always have at least 5% space free, preferably more like 10%.

Kurt Dillard