Can someone help me with windows defender.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

karl

Can someone help me with windows defender.
I just downloaded a bunch of application and did a lot of work on my computer.
I do however, have samantic endpoint virus protection and did a couple of
scans with no problems.
When i try to open windows defender i am getting an error that says.
Application failed to initialize: 0 x 800106ba. A problem caused this
program's service to stop. To start the service restart your computer or
search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

I restarted and tried to open it but got the same error. I searched help
and support and also found nothing.

Victek

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.

"karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just downloaded a bunch of application and did a lot of work on my
> computer.
> I do however, have samantic endpoint virus protection and did a couple of
> scans with no problems.
> When i try to open windows defender i am getting an error that says.
> Application failed to initialize: 0 x 800106ba. A problem caused this
> program's service to stop. To start the service restart your computer or
> search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.
>
> I restarted and tried to open it but got the same error. I searched help
> and support and also found nothing.

You could try opening the services interface and starting the service
yourself. Hit "<windows key> R" to open the run box and enter
"services.msc". Scroll down and double-click the Windows Defender entry,
and see if you can start the service.

JerryM

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.
Both Norton and Semantic will disable Windows Defender.
Because they have their own version of Virus protection.

"karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just downloaded a bunch of application and did a lot of work on my
> computer.
> I do however, have samantic endpoint virus protection and did a couple of
> scans with no problems.
> When i try to open windows defender i am getting an error that says.
> Application failed to initialize: 0 x 800106ba. A problem caused this
> program's service to stop. To start the service restart your computer or
> search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.
>
> I restarted and tried to open it but got the same error. I searched help
> and support and also found nothing.

karl

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.
i have a problem now.
when i try to open symantec enpoint i am getting an error as well.

It appears that firewall service is not running. You will not be able
tomanage the firwall through the main user interface until it is running.
Do you want to start the firewall service now?

If i push ok then

Failed to start the firewall service. Error code returned: 0x80070422

"JerryM" wrote:

> Both Norton and Semantic will disable Windows Defender.
> Because they have their own version of Virus protection.
>
> "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just downloaded a bunch of application and did a lot of work on my
> > computer.
> > I do however, have samantic endpoint virus protection and did a couple of
> > scans with no problems.
> > When i try to open windows defender i am getting an error that says.
> > Application failed to initialize: 0 x 800106ba. A problem caused this
> > program's service to stop. To start the service restart your computer or
> > search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.
> >
> > I restarted and tried to open it but got the same error. I searched help
> > and support and also found nothing.

JerryM

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.
You have the same problem with the firewall if Norton is running.

Try disabling Norton and Semantic to see if windows firewall and defender
will start up again.
This is a known problem.

> i have a problem now.
> when i try to open symantec enpoint i am getting an error as well.
>

> It appears that firewall service is not running. You will not be able
> tomanage the firwall through the main user interface until it is running.
> Do you want to start the firewall service now?
>
> If i push ok then
>
> Failed to start the firewall service. Error code returned: 0x80070422
>

> "JerryM" wrote:
>
>> Both Norton and Semantic will disable Windows Defender.
>> Because they have their own version of Virus protection.

C.B.

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.

"karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have a problem now.
> when i try to open symantec enpoint i am getting an error as well.
>

> It appears that firewall service is not running. You will not be able
> tomanage the firwall through the main user interface until it is running.
> Do you want to start the firewall service now?
>
> If i push ok then
>
> Failed to start the firewall service. Error code returned: 0x80070422
>

> "JerryM" wrote:
>
>> Both Norton and Semantic will disable Windows Defender.
>> Because they have their own version of Virus protection.
>>
>> "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I just downloaded a bunch of application and did a lot of work on my
>> > computer.
>> > I do however, have samantic endpoint virus protection and did a couple
>> > of
>> > scans with no problems.
>> > When i try to open windows defender i am getting an error that says.
>> > Application failed to initialize: 0 x 800106ba. A problem caused this
>> > program's service to stop. To start the service restart your computer
>> > or
>> > search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.
>> >
>> > I restarted and tried to open it but got the same error. I searched
>> > help
>> > and support and also found nothing.

karl,

In all due respect, if you uninstall your Norton/Symantec software and
go with another security product I think you will be much better off and you
will prevent a lot of problems. Be advised that even after using Norton's
uninstall tool you will still have some Norton remnants left on your system,
which require a manual removal from the registry. You can choose to leave
them or remove them.
There are many security products available and some of them are free. I
would go with an antivirus program as opposed to a "security suite", and if
you're not satisfied with the native Windows Firewall you can try Comodo
Firewall, which is also free.
Windows Defender IS NOT an antivirus program.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

wpic

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.
Hi guys,

I am having the exact same problem, I don't have Norton (I use AVG which is
also failing to start). Could I have a virus that is doing this? I am unable
to start any virus scanner, ad-scanner or any of the windows security
programs: defender, firewall etc....Am I stuffed?

Thanks in advance for your relpies.

-w

"C.B." wrote:

> "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i have a problem now.
> > when i try to open symantec enpoint i am getting an error as well.
> >

> > It appears that firewall service is not running. You will not be able
> > tomanage the firwall through the main user interface until it is running.
> > Do you want to start the firewall service now?
> >
> > If i push ok then
> >
> > Failed to start the firewall service. Error code returned: 0x80070422
> >

> > "JerryM" wrote:
> >
> >> Both Norton and Semantic will disable Windows Defender.
> >> Because they have their own version of Virus protection.
> >>
> >> "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> karl,
>
> In all due respect, if you uninstall your Norton/Symantec software and
> go with another security product I think you will be much better off and you
> will prevent a lot of problems. Be advised that even after using Norton's
> uninstall tool you will still have some Norton remnants left on your system,
> which require a manual removal from the registry. You can choose to leave
> them or remove them.
> There are many security products available and some of them are free. I
> would go with an antivirus program as opposed to a "security suite", and if
> you're not satisfied with the native Windows Firewall you can try Comodo
> Firewall, which is also free.
> Windows Defender IS NOT an antivirus program.
>
> C.B.
>

> --
> It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
> and unfortunate among us.

ososment

wpic;684125 Wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am having the exact same problem, I don't have Norton (I use AVG
> which is
> also failing to start). Could I have a virus that is doing this? I am
> unable
> to start any virus scanner, ad-scanner or any of the windows security
> programs: defender, firewall etc....Am I stuffed?
>
> Thanks in advance for your relpies.
>
> -w
>

> "C.B." wrote:

Yup I have the same problem, when I go to services/windows defender, it
is disabled and the activation button is greyed out. I uninstalled my
avg and downloaded antivir, neither will install seemingly because they
can't access wd...

curses...

any ideas? None of the microsoft help files seem to work!

--
ososment
ososment

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.

gnnn

I managed to get everything started but nothing works, firewall fails
as well with a 0x6D9 error present...

--
ososment
Milo

Re: Can someone help me with windows defender.
There might have been some clear conflict of application or such, you may
wanna get second opinon at
a Microsoft PCSAFETY ( 866 727 2338 ) it's a free support.