Bitlocker on Non-system Drives

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Wayne Harris

Bitlocker on Non-system Drives
Quick Background:
I have Vista SP1 on my desktop.
I have Bitocker turned on.
I have encrypted my system drive.
I have encrypted my external USB hard drive.
I use a TPM+PIN for Bitlocker Authentication.

Question:
Why is it, that when I log on to my Vista workstation with a userID
other thany my local administrator, I cannot access the External
Drive?

I can access it fine when i logon with my local admin account. (The
account used when i enabled bitlocker).

Do I lose access the Volume Master Key when i change accounts?
Jesper

RE: Bitlocker on Non-system Drives
Wayne, what is the ACL on the external drive. Are you sure it allows you
access?
---

"Wayne Harris" wrote:

> Quick Background:
> I have Vista SP1 on my desktop.
> I have Bitocker turned on.
> I have encrypted my system drive.
> I have encrypted my external USB hard drive.
> I use a TPM+PIN for Bitlocker Authentication.
>
> Question:
> Why is it, that when I log on to my Vista workstation with a userID
> other thany my local administrator, I cannot access the External
> Drive?
>
> I can access it fine when i logon with my local admin account. (The
> account used when i enabled bitlocker).
>
> Do I lose access the Volume Master Key when i change accounts?

mikeyhsd

Re: Bitlocker on Non-system Drives
do not know the answer.
but I would say that using bit locker is BAD.

the first thing people do is forget their password key to decrypt it.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

On Mar 6, 6:45*pm, "mikeyhsd" <mikey...@sprintpcs.com> wrote:
> do not know the answer.
> but I would say that using bit locker is BAD.
>
> the first thing people do is forget their password key to decrypt it.
>
> mikey...@sprintpcs.com
>
> * "Wayne Harris" <Wayne.A.Har...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:d01e997e-0c5a-4f59-82f7-82f5c1c12dac@60g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...
> * Quick Background:
> * I have Vista SP1 on my desktop.
> * I have Bitocker turned on.
> * I have encrypted my system drive.
> * I have encrypted my external USB hard drive.
> * I use a TPM+PIN for Bitlocker Authentication.
>
> * Question:
> * Why is it, that when I log on to my Vista workstation with a userID
> * other thany my local administrator, I cannot access the External
> * Drive?
>
> * I can access it fine when i logon with my local admin account. (The
> * account used when i enabled bitlocker).
>
> * Do I lose access the Volume Master Key when i change accounts?

Question: Would the same not be true for the password protection
anything?

I would not be so quick to dismiss the whole technology because an
individual may lose the recovery key or password. Besides, there are
automated methods for the backup of both of those keys such that even
if you lose it, it is recoverable.
mikeyhsd

Re: Bitlocker on Non-system Drives
many more than AN individual.