Win Defender non start?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

What4

Win Defender non start?
Have been running Vista Home Basic since Mar 07, with updates on download and
notify, all up to date, have just checked. Today noticed no icon for Defender
in Quick Launch Toolbar, looked to change display view, no icon to select in
list. Checked security centre, Defender not running. Used Start, All
programmes to start defender. Opened Options, checked for Admin authority and
all users, both ticked. Unticked the admin user, selected save change, then
reversed the process to add tick, and saved, Defender icon appeared, and
almost immediately started scanning system. Whats up doc?? I now suspect
Defender hasn't run for a couple of days but not sure. Also, why no
notification from Security centre? All the other ticks seem to be in place on
the options screen, so just a little concerned about my security status.
--
W4 me
What4

RE: Win Defender non start?
Can no one tell me what's still going on here please?
--
W4 me

"What4" wrote:

> Have been running Vista Home Basic since Mar 07, with updates on download and
> notify, all up to date, have just checked. Today noticed no icon for Defender
> in Quick Launch Toolbar, looked to change display view, no icon to select in
> list. Checked security centre, Defender not running. Used Start, All
> programmes to start defender. Opened Options, checked for Admin authority and
> all users, both ticked. Unticked the admin user, selected save change, then
> reversed the process to add tick, and saved, Defender icon appeared, and
> almost immediately started scanning system. Whats up doc?? I now suspect
> Defender hasn't run for a couple of days but not sure. Also, why no
> notification from Security centre? All the other ticks seem to be in place on
> the options screen, so just a little concerned about my security status.
> --
> W4 me

hawkwind

Re: Win Defender non start?

Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
msascui.exe loads into the task manager.

It is also set to start automatically in services.
vista home premium 32 not running live care.

Thanks

--
hawkwind
Bob

Re: Win Defender non start?
What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"hawkwind" <hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
>
> It is also set to start automatically in services.
> vista home premium 32 not running live care.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> hawkwind

hawkwind

Re: Win Defender non start?

Brink;661293 Wrote:
> > hawkwind;661282 Wrote:
> > Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> > Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> > checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> > If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> > It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> > msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
> >
> > It is also set to start automatically in services.
> > vista home premium 32 not running live care.
> >
> > Thanks> >

> Hi Hawkwind and What4,
>
> You might try the Resolution here to see if it will help you.
>
> 'Unable to enable Windows Defender application in Windows Vista'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962)
>
> Shawn

Hi i tried that and nothing changed as the result were consistant.
However, i have just looked at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and windows defender
value data pointed to %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
I changed it to C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide And
WD is working fine now ??????

--
hawkwind
What4

Re: Win Defender non start?
Hi Bob,

Using Avast AV, Windows firewall, and have also installed Ad Aware, but run
this on an ad hoc user request basis. Prior to Avast, I used AVG, and prior
to that Norton. Have removed Norton using their tool from Symantec website,
and AVG also gone.
--
W4 me

"Bob" wrote:

> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
>
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>

> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "hawkwind" <hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> > Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> > checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> > If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> > It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> > msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
> >
> > It is also set to start automatically in services.
> > vista home premium 32 not running live care.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > hawkwind

wpic

Re: Win Defender non start?
This is the same problem I am having - along with a lot of people in other
threads!

Someone must know the answer????