ctfmon.exe

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

butterflyLA

ctfmon.exe
is this suppose to be in start up because i believe this is my main culprit.
when i had zone alarm i belive i narrowed it down to this then zone alarm
disappeared. when i used spybot it told me that there were trojans or worms.
but i have had almost every type at antivirus at one time or another if i
could download.
Paul Adare

Re: ctfmon.exe
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:44:02 -0800, butterflyLA wrote:

> is this suppose to be in start up because i believe this is my main culprit.

The main culprit for what?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
BurrWalnut

RE: ctfmon.exe
Ctfmon is a process used by Microsoft Office for the Language Bar and Speech
& Handwriting recognition. Even if you don’t have MS Office it will be
present with IE7 for IE7's Language bar.

If you don't need the functionality in XP (I can‘t find the setting in
Vista), stop it from starting up by going to Start > Control Panel > Regional
and Language Options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced tab then put a tick
in ‘Turn off advanced text services’ and hit Apply. This removes ctfmon.exe
from the running processes and from starting up when you boot. However, it
sometimes reappears after an IE7 update.

If the file is named cftmon it is probably a Trojan.

"butterflyLA" wrote:

> is this suppose to be in start up because i believe this is my main culprit.
> when i had zone alarm i belive i narrowed it down to this then zone alarm
> disappeared. when i used spybot it told me that there were trojans or worms.
> but i have had almost every type at antivirus at one time or another if i
> could download.

Ron H

Re: ctfmon.exe
Hi guys, Is there anything else that might be using ctfmon.exe since i don't
have Office and i also checked the path that BurrWalnut supplied to untick a
box (mine already unchecked) but task manger says i have ctfmon.exe
using 4000K of memory and now i don't know what would be starting up ? Ron

"Paul Adare" wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:44:02 -0800, butterflyLA wrote:
>
> > is this suppose to be in start up because i believe this is my main culprit.

> The main culprit for what?
>
> > when i had zone alarm i belive i narrowed it down to this then zone alarm
> > disappeared. when i used spybot it told me that there were trojans or worms.
> > but i have had almost every type at antivirus at one time or another if i
> > could download.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> MVP - Virtual Machines
> http://www.identit.ca
> CPU: A juvenile way of telling your dog he missed the paper.

Mark

Re: ctfmon.exe
I don't think you really read the link provided, so I'll summarize:

What Does the Ctfmon.exe File Do?
Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service
support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard,
translation, and other alternative user input technologies. It starts each
time Windows is started and remains in the background, regardless of whether
an Office XP program is started.

Can I Remove the Ctfmon.exe File?
Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP
programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from
running, follow these steps.
(You will note in the link, there are no steps related to Vista in Step
1... but, you do not have Office, so go to Step 2.

What Amount of System Resources Is Used When Ctfmon.exe Is Running?
Ctfmon.exe uses little of the system resources if Advanced Text Services are
not running. Advanced Text Services are those input technologies (speech
recognition, handwriting recognition, and Input Method Editors) that are
being controlled by Ctfmon.exe via a TIP.

"Ron H" <RonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, Is there anything else that might be using ctfmon.exe since i

don't
> have Office and i also checked the path that BurrWalnut supplied to

untick a
> box (mine already unchecked) but task manger says i have ctfmon.exe
> using 4000K of memory and now i don't know what would be starting up ?

Ron

> "Paul Adare" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:44:02 -0800, butterflyLA wrote:
> >
> > > is this suppose to be in start up because i believe this is my main

culprit.

> > The main culprit for what?
> >
> > > when i had zone alarm i belive i narrowed it down to this then zone

alarm
> > > disappeared. when i used spybot it told me that there were trojans or

worms.
> > > but i have had almost every type at antivirus at one time or another

if i
> > > could download.

> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599
> >
> > --
> > Paul Adare
> > MVP - Virtual Machines
> > http://www.identit.ca
> > CPU: A juvenile way of telling your dog he missed the paper.

Ron H

RE: ctfmon.exe
Thanks Mark and the others, I did find where i was reading BurrWalnut's
directions incorrectly. I was leaving the box for Advanced Text Services
unticked. Thanks Again Ron

"butterflyLA" wrote:

> is this suppose to be in start up because i believe this is my main culprit.
> when i had zone alarm i belive i narrowed it down to this then zone alarm
> disappeared. when i used spybot it told me that there were trojans or worms.
> but i have had almost every type at antivirus at one time or another if i
> could download.

Mark

Re: ctfmon.exe
I'm glad you figured this out, but concerned since CTFMON uses very little
resources, can cause problems when it is not running, and is unlikely the
culprit here.