Running Application in Login Script

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jeff Belorit

Running Application in Login Script
Hello, I am having an issue starting an application from within a network
login script. The particular application is Numara Trackit audit32.exe.

The user account used to logon to the Vista computer is a Domain Admin
account with Administrative rights to the computer.

the last step of the login script calls the application like so

Start \\servername\sharename\audit32.exe

If I try to run the application manually from the run line it works fine.
However this is unacceptable because the computer is on the directors desk
and to him that is not a solution.

This is not an issue with Windows XP systems, only Vista.

Is there a way to make this work from the login script?

Thanks

Mike Brannigan

Re: Running Application in Login Script
"Jeff Belorit" <jbelorit@mbi-inc.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am having an issue starting an application from within a network
> login script. The particular application is Numara Trackit audit32.exe.
>
> The user account used to logon to the Vista computer is a Domain Admin
> account with Administrative rights to the computer.
>
> the last step of the login script calls the application like so
>
> Start \\servername\sharename\audit32.exe
>
> If I try to run the application manually from the run line it works fine.
> However this is unacceptable because the computer is on the directors desk
> and to him that is not a solution.
>
> This is not an issue with Windows XP systems, only Vista.
>
> Is there a way to make this work from the login script?
>
> Thanks

Ensure you are running the logon script asynchronously to ensure the desktop
is started up before the login scripts execute.
Otherwise the environment may not be ready to execute the application - hard
to tell since you tell us absolutely nothing about what happens when it is
in the login script.

--

Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan

Re: Running Application in Login Script
Forgot to say - even if you run Asynch on the logon scripts they Explorer
may not be fully initialized before your app runs so put a delay ion the
login script to ensure the desktop is started up .
Alternatively don't use a login script put the app in the startup group or
the Run registry entry to ensure it starts once the UI is ready and the user
is logged on.

--

Mike Brannigan
"Jeff Belorit" <jbelorit@mbi-inc.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am having an issue starting an application from within a network
> login script. The particular application is Numara Trackit audit32.exe.
>
> The user account used to logon to the Vista computer is a Domain Admin
> account with Administrative rights to the computer.
>
> the last step of the login script calls the application like so
>
> Start \\servername\sharename\audit32.exe
>
> If I try to run the application manually from the run line it works fine.
> However this is unacceptable because the computer is on the directors desk
> and to him that is not a solution.
>
> This is not an issue with Windows XP systems, only Vista.
>
> Is there a way to make this work from the login script?
>
> Thanks

Jeff Belorit

Re: Running Application in Login Script
Not sure what is happening, the director clears the error before we can
check it out.

How do I make the login script asynchronous? It is just a .bat file