Microsoft improvements in windows security?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

pavilion_alex

Microsoft improvements in windows security?
why windows vista is more secure from windows 2000 sp4 or windows XP sp2?

what's the difference between those two versions and vista?

and if microsoft says that vista has better security than XP why we will
always find a malicious file on our pc?

(this question is not meant to offend anyone)
Mark

Re: Microsoft improvements in windows security?
Since installing Vista Ultimate x64 over one year ago, I've only accumulated
three advertising cookies and one advertisement as reported by Spybot,
McAfee (while I was still x86), NOD32 and avast!
NOTE: I don't run any of these in Auto-protect mode.

Some would say this is UAC. I say hogwash since I merely click Continue
anytime it pops up.
This leaves the underlying structure, mostly IE7, my router's firewall, and
diligence on where I'm visiting at fault for the lack of "malicious"
software on my computer.

(I'd have to say I accumulated that much daily on my XP SP1 system.)

So, I'd have to give credit to IE7's updates and not Vista at this point.
And, IE7 was made available to each of the systems you referenced. Of
course, try turning the Protected Mode of IE7 off in Vista and you'll
constantly be reminded that Vista is trying to protect you by having you
turn it back on.

"pavilion_alex" <pavilionalex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> why windows vista is more secure from windows 2000 sp4 or windows XP sp2?
>
> what's the difference between those two versions and vista?
>
> and if microsoft says that vista has better security than XP why we will
> always find a malicious file on our pc?
>

> (this question is not meant to offend anyone)

Bruce Chambers

pavilion_alex wrote:
> why windows vista is more secure from windows 2000 sp4 or windows XP sp2?
>
> what's the difference between those two versions and vista?

This site also has links to related security information:

Security : Inside Windows Vista User Account Control -- TechNet
Magazine, June 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx

> and if microsoft says that vista has better security than XP why we will
> always find a malicious file on our pc?

Quite frankly, and I also don't mean to offend, if you're finding
malware on your computer, you (or someone else using your computer) have
very poor computing habits.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The most important component is also, not ironically, the weakest
link in the "equation," of course, the computer user. No software
manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected to -- protect the
computer user from him/herself. All too many people have bought into
the various PC/software manufacturers marketing claims of easy
computing. They believe that their computer should be no harder to use
than a toaster oven; they have neither the inclination or desire to
learn how to safely use their computer. All too few people keep their
antivirus software current, install patches in a timely manner, or stop
to really think about that cutesy link they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
James R. Gentile

Re: Microsoft improvements in windows security?
Give me a break. 'Always'? I have not found one piece of malware on multiple
computers running Vista in a year or so, so you are just plain wrong that it
will 'Always' be found. Since you can't get basic facts right no one should
pay you any attention. But I will say, the improvement in Vista and this
directly contradicts your 'always finding malware' crap, is that so far I
have not seen any evidence that Vista can ever get malware unless the user
causes it (by clicking OK to warnings they shouldn't have, or by downloading
the malware directly from the internet and running it). No other consumer
OS can make that claim, and it is due to the firewall and protected mode IE,
which other browsers and OS's lack. Despite this fact, the myth that
windows is insecure will never die because of tools like you that repeat
**** they read from other tools when none of you knows wtf you're talking
about.