Remote Install Blocked

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Wayne

Remote Install Blocked
Greetings!

When I try to do a remote install of eTrust anti-virus on my Vista machine,
an error message appears in that program when I try to verify the
installation... "Remote install failed to connect to target computer's
registry".

The firewall on the Vista machine is not active.

I have "allow(ed) connections from computers running any version of Remote
desktop."

I have tried various Windows Defender settings, and am now back to the
default settings.

I rebooted the target PC after each change in settings.

Thinking that perhaps there actually is a problem with the target PC's
registry,
I ran CHKDSK. (Which reported no problems.)

I have successfully done this remote install countless times on XP machines.

My Vista updates are up-to-date, as of last Friday.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.

-- Wayne
Jesper

RE: Remote Install Blocked
More than likely you are running into UAC issues. Am I correct in guessing
that the account you are using to authenticate the connection is a local
account to the target system, and that it is a member of Administrators? If
so, you are getting a filtered security token that does not have the
Administrators SID in it. In other words, you can't connect remotely as an
administrator to this computer.

To get around this you can either use a domain account that is an
administrator, or turn off the filtering of local accounts used remotely.
Keep in mind that if you use this latter option you are disabling security
features of the system. Those are designed to stop malware from spreading in
a stand-alone environment.

The setting to configure is:
Hive: HKLM
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies \System
Value: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: set it to 1 to build a full token. 0, the default, gives you a
filtered token.

The usual caveats about modifying the registry apply.
---