About Application Software

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

╦╝┐Ň

About Application Software
I only have one question.
Can we only use the vista OS to manage our system sources well without 360safe or any optimizing application software ?
Is it unnecessary to install other software to manage our system well?
Malke

Re: About Application Software
?? wrote:

> I only have one question.
> Can we only use the vista OS to manage our system sources well without
> 360safe or any optimizing application software ? Is it unnecessary to
> install other software to manage our system well?

I don't get anything useful from a Google for "360safe" so whatever it is, I
wouldn't use it. I also am unsure how you are defining "system sources".
Definitely stay away from "optimizing" programs and registry cleaners as
they are at best snakeoil and at worst malware; and possibly will hose your
system thoroughly.

In general, all you need for a Windows Vista machine to function well is:

1. Third-party antivirus. NOD32, Kaspersky, or Avast (free) are recommended.

2. A firewall - the built-in Windows Firewall is adequate for most people.

3. I usually don't install extra third-party antimalware software on Vista
machines since Windows Defender is included in the OS.

4. Imaging/backup software such as Acronis True Image and an external hard
drive is extremely useful but not mandatory as long as regular backups are
done to some form of removable media.

5. An educated user who knows not to install beta/garbage software and how
to practice Safe Hex on the Internet (see links below).

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971 - So How Did I Get
Infected Anyway?
http://www.getsafeonline.org/
https://www.mysecurecyberspace.com/
http://www.getnetwise.org/
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron.../05/82584.aspx - MVP
Harry Waldron - The Family PC - How to stay safe on the Internet
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on Rogue
Antispyware Programs

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
mikeyhsd

Re: About Application Software
what you need with vista is a good virus program like AVG or AVAST both free.
a good defrag program will help as well. I use Auslogic Disk Defrag.

otherwise vista manages itself pretty well.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com