best anti-malware solution for Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

John A Grandy

best anti-malware solution for Vista
What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?

Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.
Straight Talk

Re: best anti-malware solution for Vista
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 14:47:51 -0800, "John A Grandy"
<johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote:

>What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?

Yourself.
C.B.

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote in message
newsED79E3F-2010-4EEB-9736-F8FE65BF04B8@microsoft.com...
> What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?
>
> Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.

Mr. Grandy,

I have used about all of them and I prefer NOD32 over all the others
for an AV program. It also includes antispyware scanning. I stay away from
security suites as they are resource hogs and tend to cause more problems
than they solve. I learned this the hard way. There's nothing like
self-inflicted damage to bring one to his senses. Of course, many people
have used security suites and never experienced anything detrimental. I wish
I could have had the success they enjoy.
I use AVG AntiSpy 7.5 paid edition and run it in real time protection
mode along with Windows Defender and have had no problems or conflicts
whatsoever.
They are the only security applications I have running together in real
time. However, I will also use Spybot S&D, AdAware 2007 and
SUPERAntiSpyware, all of them free editions, on an occasional basis
approximately once or twice a month.

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.

Dustin Harper

Re: best anti-malware solution for Vista
I use AVG Free for Anti-Virus, although NOD32 and Kapersky are great as
well. As for spyware, etc, I use Spybot Search & Destroy.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote in message
newsED79E3F-2010-4EEB-9736-F8FE65BF04B8@microsoft.com...
> What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?
>
> Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.

Bruce Chambers

John A Grandy wrote:
> What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?
>
> Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The most important component is also, not ironically, the weakest
link in the "equation," of course, the computer user. No software
manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected to -- protect the
computer user from him/herself. All too many people have bought into
the various PC/software manufacturers marketing claims of easy
computing. They believe that their computer should be no harder to use
than a toaster oven; they have neither the inclination or desire to
learn how to safely use their computer. All too few people keep their
antivirus software current, install patches in a timely manner, or stop
to really think about that cutesy link they're about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

Protect Your PC

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;49500

Home PC Firewall Guide
http://www.firewallguide.com/

Scumware.com
http://www.scumware.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Doug

> John A Grandy wrote:
>> What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?
>>
>> Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.

> There are several essential components to computer security: a
> knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
> reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
> patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

(snip)

As regards prompt patching, and in addition to using Windows Update,
consider using Secunia Software Inspector. It will check that your installed
software is fully patched and up-to-date - see:
http://secunia.com/software_inspector/
either using the online version, or installing Secunia PSI that they
recommend there, downloadable from:
https://psi.secunia.com/
Both are free for personal use.
If you backup to (eg) drive D, it is as well to use the Secunia PSI to
exclude Secunia from that drive, as it probably is not a good idea to be
updating the backed up applications.

I have only recently stumbled upon Secunia, so my recommendation is not
based on limited experience, but I have been impressed so far.

Doug

John A Grandy

Re: best anti-malware solution for Vista
I'm not having luck with eset's online scanner. Says that Administrator
privileges are required.

"C.B." <notreallyc.b.mullen@windowslive.com> wrote in message

> "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote in message
> newsED79E3F-2010-4EEB-9736-F8FE65BF04B8@microsoft.com...
>> What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ?
>>
>> Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.

> Mr. Grandy,
>
> I have used about all of them and I prefer NOD32 over all the others
> for an AV program. It also includes antispyware scanning. I stay away from
> security suites as they are resource hogs and tend to cause more problems
> than they solve. I learned this the hard way. There's nothing like
> self-inflicted damage to bring one to his senses. Of course, many people
> have used security suites and never experienced anything detrimental. I
> wish I could have had the success they enjoy.
> I use AVG AntiSpy 7.5 paid edition and run it in real time protection
> mode along with Windows Defender and have had no problems or conflicts
> whatsoever.
> They are the only security applications I have running together in
> real time. However, I will also use Spybot S&D, AdAware 2007 and
> SUPERAntiSpyware, all of them free editions, on an occasional basis
> approximately once or twice a month.
>
> C.B.
>

> --
> It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
> and unfortunate among us.

Straight Talk

Re: best anti-malware solution for Vista
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:10:23 -0800, "John A Grandy"
<johnagrandy@g-mail-dot-com> wrote:

>I'm not having luck with eset's online scanner. Says that Administrator
>privileges are required.

Listen carefully:

1) Online scanning is stupid.

2) Anti-malware requiring admin privileges to run is stupid.
santiagojames

Re: best anti-malware solution for Vista

Hello All,

I am a vista user and recently i was used and fake and rogue
anti-spyware 'Adware Alert' from 'The Official Ad-WareAlert Client'
(http://www.adwarealert.com) and This affect badly on to my system and
corrupted some files too, finally I removed it by formatting my system..

Now What I should be use for my system security
Thanks in advance for any help..

--
santiagojames
Brink

Re: best anti-malware solution for Vista

Hi SantiagoJames,

You can find some good anti-spyware and anti-adware programs in this
list. I tested these free programs myself and have yet had any problems
with them.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/115...ist-vista.html

Shawn

--