Windows Login Failure Fail safe

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jonathan Rimbaud

Windows Login Failure Fail safe
I'm extremely paranoid about my computer and am looking for a way to set up
Windows Vista so that if the windows login password incorrectly more than
once it will nuke the HD? Does Vista do anything like that? Or is there
another program someone can suggest that has similiar features?

Jonathan
Bob F.

Re: Windows Login Failure Fail safe
"Jonathan Rimbaud" <Jonathan Rimbaud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E4516EE0-E3E6-4F4B-B154-45C8DB46EBC6@microsoft.com...
> I'm extremely paranoid about my computer and am looking for a way to set
> up
> Windows Vista so that if the windows login password incorrectly more than
> once it will nuke the HD? Does Vista do anything like that? Or is there
> another program someone can suggest that has similiar features?
>

> Jonathan

Windows does not. You will have to look for an after market product.

--
BobF.

.Joe

Jonathan Rimbaud;631613 Wrote:
> I'm extremely paranoid about my computer and am looking for a way to set
> up
> Windows Vista so that if the windows login password incorrectly more
> than
> once it will nuke the HD? Does Vista do anything like that? Or is there
> another program someone can suggest that has similiar features?
>

> Jonathan

Jonathan,

I searched but could not locate a utility that would start the process
of deleting data on a Windows PC based on a password failure.

In fact, simple deleting of data which is built into Windows doesn't
stop people from getting to the data (the "deleted" files still exist).

You best option would be to encrypt your sensitive data.

There's an open source (free) encryption tool you can download:
'TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for
Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux' (http://www.truecrypt.org/)

To make this tool even more secure, use an external USB drive to
encrypt your data onto and take it with you. So your encrypted data is
not even with your PC in the event it's compromised. Depending on how
much data you need encrypted will determine the size of the USB drive
you'll need. They have them in 250, 500 gb and 1 tb size, so space
should not be an issue.

Once you've saved your data to your encrypted drive, you'll want to
shread (render unreadable) the data where it was originally saved.

The shreading tool I use is built into a backup utility which is
actually very good. It's a commercial product, but you can download an
evaluation version here: 'Backup software for data backup and disaster
recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis' (http://www.acronis.com)

That's the best solution I can come up with for sensitive data.

I hope this is helpful to you.

--
.Joe

.Joe™
'Vista x64 Forums'
'[image: http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/323179.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=323179)
Dustin Harper

Re: Windows Login Failure Fail safe
Not as an included program, no. Your best bet is to secure your system as
much as possible. Encryption, etc.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Jonathan Rimbaud" <Jonathan Rimbaud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E4516EE0-E3E6-4F4B-B154-45C8DB46EBC6@microsoft.com...
> I'm extremely paranoid about my computer and am looking for a way to set
> up
> Windows Vista so that if the windows login password incorrectly more than
> once it will nuke the HD? Does Vista do anything like that? Or is there
> another program someone can suggest that has similiar features?
>

> Jonathan

C.B.

Re: Windows Login Failure Fail safe

"Jonathan Rimbaud" <Jonathan Rimbaud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E4516EE0-E3E6-4F4B-B154-45C8DB46EBC6@microsoft.com...
> I'm extremely paranoid about my computer and am looking for a way to set
> up
> Windows Vista so that if the windows login password incorrectly more than
> once it will nuke the HD? Does Vista do anything like that? Or is there
> another program someone can suggest that has similiar features?
>

> Jonathan

Jonathan,

That's rather extreme, don't you think? Password protect your account
and don't worry about it. If that's not good enough you can use encryption
software for either your files only or your whole system.
I'd hate to think what would happen if you had a couple of beers and
hit the wrong key. I don't know which edition of Vista you are using because
you did not say. If you have Ultimate you can use the BitLocker application.
If not, you may want to see the link below.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

C.B.

--
It is the responsibility and duty of everyone to help the underprivileged
and unfortunate among us.