Security Center Showing Defender off when it is on

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Drewscifer

Security Center Showing Defender off when it is on
I'm running vista home premium and I recieved (at random) an error that said
that Windows Defender was offline as was my virus software (Symantec) after
checking and confirming that they were in fact both on. I tried to activate
them in the security center. Vista could not find Symantec but it did take me
to a site that I could download it so I just deactivated it.

Every time I tell vista to turn on defender it starts searching for updates
and when it can't find any it shows a security risk. Is this a common bug or
is there a quick easy fix that I'm just not seeing?
toni

RE: Security Center Showing Defender off when it is on