Important Update? KB946486

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Peter

Important Update? KB946486
Update KB946486.

Can someone explain why this update is an important update for Windows Vista
when the KB article clearly states:

This article describes an update to Windows Live Photo Gallery that is
available on Microsoft Update. This update will be offered to customers who
have Windows XP computers that have version 2008 of Windows Live Photo
Gallery installed. These updates will be automatically installed if you have
chosen to enable updates to be installed on the system automatically. If you
have chosen the option to decide whether you want to download or install
updates, you will be notified of these new updates on the day that they are
available.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Important Update? KB946486
Did you read the part under ' Uninstalling Windows Desktop Search on a
Windows XP-based computer may cause metadata loss and broken
functionality for photos in Windows Live Photo Gallery ' ?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946486

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Peter wrote:

> Update KB946486.
>
> Can someone explain why this update is an important update for Windows
> Vista when the KB article clearly states:
>
> This article describes an update to Windows Live Photo Gallery that is
> available on Microsoft Update. This update will be offered to customers
> who have Windows XP computers that have version 2008 of Windows Live
> Photo Gallery installed. These updates will be automatically installed
> if you have chosen to enable updates to be installed on the system
> automatically. If you have chosen the option to decide whether you want
> to download or install updates, you will be notified of these new
> updates on the day that they are available.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Important Update? KB946486
Peter ... ignore my previous post. Forgot which NG I was in.
Frankly, I know of no reason why that update is offered to a Vista system.
Speculation - perhaps it's Important if one 'downgrades' to XP ? <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Peter wrote:

> Update KB946486.
>
> Can someone explain why this update is an important update for Windows
> Vista when the KB article clearly states:
>
> This article describes an update to Windows Live Photo Gallery that is
> available on Microsoft Update. This update will be offered to customers
> who have Windows XP computers that have version 2008 of Windows Live
> Photo Gallery installed. These updates will be automatically installed
> if you have chosen to enable updates to be installed on the system
> automatically. If you have chosen the option to decide whether you want
> to download or install updates, you will be notified of these new
> updates on the day that they are available.

Peter

Re: Important Update? KB946486
Thanks. I installed it anyway and nothing seems to have broken in the
process.

--

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Peter ... ignore my previous post. Forgot which NG I was in.
> Frankly, I know of no reason why that update is offered to a Vista system.
> Speculation - perhaps it's Important if one 'downgrades' to XP ? <w>
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Peter wrote:
>
>> Update KB946486.
>>
>> Can someone explain why this update is an important update for Windows
>> Vista when the KB article clearly states:
>>
>> This article describes an update to Windows Live Photo Gallery that is
>> available on Microsoft Update. This update will be offered to customers
>> who have Windows XP computers that have version 2008 of Windows Live
>> Photo Gallery installed. These updates will be automatically installed if
>> you have chosen to enable updates to be installed on the system
>> automatically. If you have chosen the option to decide whether you want
>> to download or install updates, you will be notified of these new updates
>> on the day that they are available.

Gotten

RE: Important Update? KB946486
Hey,

KB946486 has been downloaded to my PC a couple of weeks ago, but the
installation of this update always fails!!

I have a Windows XP computer that have version 2008 of Windows Live Photo
Gallery installed, and i have enabled updates to be installed automatically.

Do i need this update? Why will it not install on my PC? Is there any way
for me to remove this update?

DAG.