Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Sadie

Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider - Symantec, I
see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to do for the
Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed and working well?
Appreciate! Sadie
Charlie42

Re: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
"Sadie" <Sadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
> and Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider -
> Symantec, I see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to
> do for the Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed
> and working well?

Under the assumption Norton 360 itself reports to be up and running:
There is a general fix that can solve the problem with Vista reporting
malware protection is missing, although it is present. All commands are
typed in at the command prompt, you need to run as administrator:

Method 1:

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run the following command:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

Method 2:

net stop winmgmt /y
cd %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old

Then reboot the computer.

Charlie42

Dwarf

RE: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
Hi Sadie,

This is one of the reasons why Norton products are not recommended for use
with Vista by several people who frequent these newsgroups. If you check the
newsgroups, you will find numerous posts concerning Norton and McAfee
products. I myself used to use Norton Internet Security 2007 with the Vista
compatibility update and, despite installing Visat and NIS2007 the same way a
number of times, some of the times it used to integrate with Vista's Security
Center and sometimes it did not, for no apparent reason. There was no
difference in how I installed it, and I did not connect to any network until
after I had installed it. Needless to sya, I no longer use Norton and now use
Kaspersky.
Dwarf

"Sadie" wrote:

> Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
> Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider - Symantec, I
> see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to do for the
> Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed and working well?
> Appreciate! Sadie

Kayman

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:21:04 -0800, Sadie wrote:

> Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
> Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider - Symantec, I
> see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to do for the
> Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed and working well?
> Appreciate! Sadie

The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
using Norton's own uninstall tool
and get a refund
As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
proceeding.
Or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)

Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser

ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
Have you seen these "extra settings for NOD32"?
SG

Re: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
Hi Kayman,

Have you used NTREGOPT with Vista?
Doesn't seem to be supported and I really do think these programs are
useless and can be dangerous.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-on...t/ntregopt.txt

I would be very cautious when someone states:
Quote:
Question: Should I disable Windows XP's System Restore function when using
ERUNT?
Answer: Yes! Though System Restore backs up more than just the registry, the
registry is essentially all you need to revert your system to a previous
state.
End Quote
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-on.../erunt/faq.htm

--
All the best,
SG

ALEX NICHOL
(1935-2005)
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
You will never be forgotten my friend

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:21:04 -0800, Sadie wrote:
>
>> Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
>> Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider -
>> Symantec, I
>> see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to do for the
>> Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed and working
>> well?
>> Appreciate! Sadie

> The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
> using Norton's own uninstall tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
> and get a refund
> As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
> proceeding.
> Or
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html
>
> If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
> Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
> http://www.revouninstaller.com/
> and/or
> RegSeeker
> http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
> RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
> folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
> very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
> Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
> The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
> ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
> typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
> remove associated files as well.
> Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
>
> Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
> http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html
>
> Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
> (Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
> Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
>
> AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
> http://free.grisoft.com/
> (Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
>
> Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
> http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser
>
> ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
> http://www.eset.com/
> Have you seen these "extra settings for NOD32"?
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

Kayman

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:23:26 -0500, SG wrote:

> Hi Kayman,
>
> Have you used NTREGOPT with Vista?
> Doesn't seem to be supported and I really do think these programs are
> useless and can be dangerous.

Based on what...your thinking? You've got to be kidding!

ERUNT and NTREGOPT
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Question: Do ERUNT and NTREGOPT run on Windows Vista?
Answer: Yes. To make sure the programs are executed with proper
administrative privileges, you should however turn off User Account Control
in Vista¢s system settings.

> I would be very cautious when someone states:
> Quote:
> Question: Should I disable Windows XP's System Restore function when using
> ERUNT?
> Answer: Yes! Though System Restore backs up more than just the registry, the
> registry is essentially all you need to revert your system to a previous
> state.
> End Quote

Re-read my post; I never suggested to use ERUNT (but *I* use both utilities
without any problems)
SG

Re: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
>>>I never suggested to use ERUNT<<<

Nope you didn't and I missed that, my apologies.

>>>Based on what...your thinking? You've got to be kidding!<<<

Well lets see here Kayman, maybe I should have said something besides
"THINK" and suggested after my 18 some years with computer experience, would
that suite you better?

>>>(but *I* use both utilities without any problems)<<<

So, because you didn't have problems that makes these two programs SAFE?,
you got to be kidding :>). I wasn't after you Kayman for what you posted,
not sure why, but it seems to me you took this personally and that's not the
case at all. When I see these snake oil programs and that's all they are, I
simply point out they are dangerous. It's been debated for years and
probably always will be about compacting the registry and in my professional
opinion it doesn't amount to a grain of salt. Do some of these programs
really work? I'm sure some do and I know in Win98 Scanreg /Fix and Opt did
indeed reduce the size of the Registry. The question was, is it noticeable
enough for the user to tell and in many test done by me and many others
years was no. BTW, in Win98 and WinMe if the Registry contain more than 500
KB of empty data blocks, Windows Registry Checker automatically optimized
it.

When I see things like:
"You may want to disable the tracker to avoid this message in the future
(see the Windows help for information on how to do this)" this is referring
to the NTREGOPT sometimes fails with error 1450.

Right, now lets turn off Tracker so we can run his program without the error
not really knowing what other problems this my cause the user and if it did
no one would know what or where this new error may be coming from.

" To make sure the programs are executed with proper administrative
privileges, you should however turn off User Account Control in Vista's
system settings "

Nothing at all about turning off UAC and the dangers this can cause, for
example, the problem lies when turning off UAC after Vista has been used for
a while with UAC turned on. Vista intercepts any file operations that
attempts to write to a Program Files directory for a specific app, like when
a program tries to create a saved file for example. These files are
virtualized to a special Program Data folder instead. If you save a file and
then turn off UAC, virtualization is also turned off. So then the program
can not find the saved file. This can also happen with anything else the
application tries to store in its program files directory. You can Google
"dangers turning off UAC" and find many reasons NOT to turn it off. I find
it amazing the author suggest totally disabling one of the best security
features ever in windows only to compact the Registry that supposedly speeds
up the system. WOW what a trade off, lets all get infected with Spyware,
Trojans and Viruses, but not to worry, with our Registry compacted it will
make getting rid of these pest much faster.

"Should I disable Windows XP's System Restore function when using ERUNT?
Yes! Though System Restore backs up more than just the registry, the
registry is essentially all you need to revert your system to a previous
state."

Now you ask me if I was kidding and you should have ask the author. Disable
XP's System Restore for what? to save a little hard drive space? man this is
unbelievable. He says the registry is essentially all you need to revert
your system to a previous state. Humm, well I guess MS screwed up when they
added all the other features that go along with System Restore eh? Hard
Drive space is just about a thing of the past and as cheap as they are now
no one should be to worried about space. DVD's, CD Writers, Memory Cards and
8 Gig pocket drives at Wal-Mart for $79.00, USB to IDE/SATA cables drives
makes it easy for more than enough backup space.

Well enough said and again I do apologize if I worded my post to the extent
if offended you, it surely wasn't meant to be that way. You can have the
last word as I will be moving on and sorry to the OP for high-jacking this
thread.

--
All the best,
SG

ALEX NICHOL
(1935-2005)
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
You will never be forgotten my friend

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message

Kayman

Re: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:08:27 -0500, SG wrote:

<drivel snipped>
> Well enough said

indeed
> and again I do apologize

not needed as I was never offended
Sadie

"Charlie42" wrote:

> "Sadie" <Sadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Upon accessing Windows Security Center, I see both Virus Protection and
> > and Spyware are both turned Off. Upon accessing Security Provider -
> > Symantec, I see only Norton Internet Security listed. What do we need to
> > do for the Windows Security Center to acknowledge Norton 360 installed
> > and working well?

> Under the assumption Norton 360 itself reports to be up and running:
> There is a general fix that can solve the problem with Vista reporting
> malware protection is missing, although it is present. All commands are
> typed in at the command prompt, you need to run as administrator:
>
> Method 1:
>
> winmgmt /verifyrepository
>
> If WMI repository is reported to be inconcistent, run the following command:
>
> winmgmt /salvagerepository
>
> Method 2:
>
> net stop winmgmt /y
> cd %windir%\system32\wbem
> ren repository repository.old
>
> Then reboot the computer.
>
> Charlie42

Appreciate your reply. With my tech skills, I will leave as is for now;
hopefully Norton 360 will improve eventually. Had difficult time removing
Norton Internet Security 2007 to install Norton 360; mission accomplished &
pleased. All things will never be perfect!
Charlie42

Re: Norton 360 not recognized as Malware Protection
"Sadie" <Sadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Appreciate your reply. With my tech skills, I will leave as is for now;
> hopefully Norton 360 will improve eventually. Had difficult time removing
> Norton Internet Security 2007 to install Norton 360; mission accomplished
> & pleased. All things will never be perfect!

I can not help myself (rant of the day follows): Not with Symantec products
anyway. Norton really is not the best security software around, it is also
has a huge footprint and comes jam packed with bloatware few need. Next time
your subscription is up for renewal, you should honestly consider obtaining
a different solution. (Rant finished.)

Search this group for "best anti virus", "best anti spyware", "best
security" an so on, and you will find good recommendations. What you need is
an anti virus, an additional anti spyware (you already have Windows
Defender) and a firewall (the built in Windows Firewall serves most home
user's needs just fine). Enable your router firewall if you have one, it
makes an excellent first line of defense, and educate yourself on online
do's and don'ts.

Microsoft Security at Home:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx

I am sorry my previous post appeared a wee bit too technical, command line
work can be a bit advanced. If your problems persist, you should take your
computer to a professional and have him or her take a look at it.

As for removing Norton products, Symantec offers a removal tool. Perhaps you
are already aware of it. You may have to run it 2-3 times in order to to
wipe out your system properly, sadly even then Norton may leave residue
behind.

Norton Removal Tool:

Charlie42