Elevation to Administrator

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Bill Clinton

Elevation to Administrator
I have three questions regarding elevation:

a. How do I do it on the command line for a particular program other than
elevating the whole command shell?

b. When I right click, some programs have Run as administrator but some
not. How do I get those with not to have that option?

c. What's the difference between a user in the Administrator group running
as administrator and when not running as administrator? What is the list of
rights when running as administrator and an administrator not running as
administrator? Where is the documentation for this?

Thanks.
Jesper

RE: Elevation to Administrator
> a. How do I do it on the command line for a particular program other than
> elevating the whole command shell?

You need something like my elevate tool:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...rity-book.aspx

> b. When I right click, some programs have Run as administrator but some
> not. How do I get those with not to have that option?

You can't. At least not easily. They are designed specifically to prevent
elevation. You can try elevating them with elevate.exe, but it is not
guaranteed to work properly. For example, you cannot elevate explorer.exe
that way.

> c. What's the difference between a user in the Administrator group running
> as administrator and when not running as administrator? What is the list of
> rights when running as administrator and an administrator not running as
> administrator? Where is the documentation for this?

When you are running under UAC a number of privileges are stripped,
including all the ones that are considered sensitive. In addition, the
Administrators SID in your token is set to deny only. There is complete
documentation on this in the Vista Security book in my signature.

---

cwg1960 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Elevation to Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
> a. How do I do it on the command line for a particular program other than
> elevating the whole command shell?

You need something like my elevate tool:
Downloads from the Vista Security Book - Jesper's Blog

> b. When I right click, some programs have Run as administrator but some
> not. How do I get those with not to have that option?

You can't. At least not easily. They are designed specifically to prevent
elevation. You can try elevating them with elevate.exe, but it is not
guaranteed to work properly. For example, you cannot elevate explorer.exe
that way.

> c. What's the difference between a user in the Administrator group running
> as administrator and when not running as administrator? What is the list of
> rights when running as administrator and an administrator not running as
> administrator? Where is the documentation for this?

When you are running under UAC a number of privileges are stripped,
including all the ones that are considered sensitive. In addition, the
Administrators SID in your token is set to deny only. There is complete
documentation on this in the Vista Security book in my signature.

---
Amazon.com: Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious Attacks: Roger A. Grimes, Jesper M. Johansson: Books
From the cmd console just type this: cd c:\windows\system32\ ; This will elevate you

Last edited by cwg1960 : 12-20-2008 at 18:19.
Peter Foldes

Re: Elevation to Administrator
leech post

--