Vista 64 Bit Read Only STUCK ARRGGG

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SirCabbage

Vista 64 Bit Read Only STUCK ARRGGG
Okay; I have vista 64 bit home premium. I have disabled UAC because I find it
to be highly annoying. Another thing I find highly annoying is; no matter how
much I try to stop it; vista always seems to think I am a moron and sets
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY FILES to read only. Now I heard if you disable
security center/windows defender you can un-readonly everything. I tried
that; didnt work; yes I reset to make it active. Then I reactivated them;
still didnt work. I tried a document on how to manually turn off Read Only;
but even then it didnt work. Once; I dont know how; I managed to turn it off;
but every single time that I installed something new it went to read only. It
is REALLY annoying; and I swear this is pissing me off something chronic. I
cant be a heavy computer user when I cant even do basic system operations
since vista seems to think I am a straight jacket. Belive me though; if I
dont find a way to turn it off; this computer will be dead and I will be in a
striahgt jacket. I want either a way to EFFING TURN THIS OFF. or a patch
offical or unoffical I DONT CARE I just want this read only stuff OFF. Now if
you think I am overacting. It is hard to live with winamp constantly not
showing your last playlist; or opera showing pages you had open when I first
transfered the config files across. Trying to change settings on open source
programs that refuse to change thanks to this ahem of a system that I cant
disactivate. When I do; it turns itself BACK ON .
Paul Smith

Re: Vista 64 Bit Read Only STUCK ARRGGG
What do you mean the files are "read only" are they actually marked as read
only in their properties, or are you trying to write to locations you don't
have permission to?

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"SirCabbage" <SirCabbage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay; I have vista 64 bit home premium. I have disabled UAC because I find
> it
> to be highly annoying. Another thing I find highly annoying is; no matter
> how
> much I try to stop it; vista always seems to think I am a moron and sets
> EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY FILES to read only. Now I heard if you disable
> security center/windows defender you can un-readonly everything. I tried
> that; didnt work; yes I reset to make it active. Then I reactivated them;
> still didnt work. I tried a document on how to manually turn off Read
> Only;
> but even then it didnt work. Once; I dont know how; I managed to turn it
> off;
> but every single time that I installed something new it went to read only.
> It
> is REALLY annoying; and I swear this is pissing me off something chronic.
> cant be a heavy computer user when I cant even do basic system operations
> since vista seems to think I am a straight jacket. Belive me though; if I
> dont find a way to turn it off; this computer will be dead and I will be
> in a
> striahgt jacket. I want either a way to EFFING TURN THIS OFF. or a patch
> offical or unoffical I DONT CARE I just want this read only stuff OFF. Now
> if
> you think I am overacting. It is hard to live with winamp constantly not
> showing your last playlist; or opera showing pages you had open when I
> first
> transfered the config files across. Trying to change settings on open
> source
> programs that refuse to change thanks to this ahem of a system that I cant
> disactivate. When I do; it turns itself BACK ON .

SirCabbage

Re: Vista 64 Bit Read Only STUCK ARRGGG
They show themselves as read only. marked. And when I try to change settings
in programs or save games; or work with temp; they just dont save. at all. I
have Full Admin Rights (has been confirmed in cmd prompt too.) and all I
want; is this auto read only turned off. When Iturn it off; it turns it back
on. I cant work with this!

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> What do you mean the files are "read only" are they actually marked as read
> only in their properties, or are you trying to write to locations you don't
> have permission to?
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
>

> "SirCabbage" <SirCabbage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay; I have vista 64 bit home premium. I have disabled UAC because I find
> > it
> > to be highly annoying. Another thing I find highly annoying is; no matter
> > how
> > much I try to stop it; vista always seems to think I am a moron and sets
> > EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY FILES to read only. Now I heard if you disable
> > security center/windows defender you can un-readonly everything. I tried
> > that; didnt work; yes I reset to make it active. Then I reactivated them;
> > still didnt work. I tried a document on how to manually turn off Read
> > Only;
> > but even then it didnt work. Once; I dont know how; I managed to turn it
> > off;
> > but every single time that I installed something new it went to read only.
> > It
> > is REALLY annoying; and I swear this is pissing me off something chronic.
> > cant be a heavy computer user when I cant even do basic system operations
> > since vista seems to think I am a straight jacket. Belive me though; if I
> > dont find a way to turn it off; this computer will be dead and I will be
> > in a
> > striahgt jacket. I want either a way to EFFING TURN THIS OFF. or a patch
> > offical or unoffical I DONT CARE I just want this read only stuff OFF. Now
> > if
> > you think I am overacting. It is hard to live with winamp constantly not
> > showing your last playlist; or opera showing pages you had open when I
> > first
> > transfered the config files across. Trying to change settings on open
> > source
> > programs that refuse to change thanks to this ahem of a system that I cant
> > disactivate. When I do; it turns itself BACK ON .

Pralines in May

Re: Vista 64 Bit Read Only STUCK ARRGGG
Please tell me someone has an answer for this. I too am ready to throw this
comp out the window.

"SirCabbage" wrote:

> They show themselves as read only. marked. And when I try to change settings
> in programs or save games; or work with temp; they just dont save. at all. I
> have Full Admin Rights (has been confirmed in cmd prompt too.) and all I
> want; is this auto read only turned off. When Iturn it off; it turns it back
> on. I cant work with this!
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
> > What do you mean the files are "read only" are they actually marked as read
> > only in their properties, or are you trying to write to locations you don't
> > have permission to?
> >
> > --
> > Paul Smith,
> > Yeovil, UK.
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> > http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> > http://www.windowsresource.net/
> >
> > *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
> >

> > "SirCabbage" <SirCabbage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Okay; I have vista 64 bit home premium. I have disabled UAC because I find
> > > it
> > > to be highly annoying. Another thing I find highly annoying is; no matter
> > > how
> > > much I try to stop it; vista always seems to think I am a moron and sets
> > > EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY FILES to read only. Now I heard if you disable
> > > security center/windows defender you can un-readonly everything. I tried
> > > that; didnt work; yes I reset to make it active. Then I reactivated them;
> > > still didnt work. I tried a document on how to manually turn off Read
> > > Only;
> > > but even then it didnt work. Once; I dont know how; I managed to turn it
> > > off;
> > > but every single time that I installed something new it went to read only.
> > > It
> > > is REALLY annoying; and I swear this is pissing me off something chronic.
> > > cant be a heavy computer user when I cant even do basic system operations
> > > since vista seems to think I am a straight jacket. Belive me though; if I
> > > dont find a way to turn it off; this computer will be dead and I will be
> > > in a
> > > striahgt jacket. I want either a way to EFFING TURN THIS OFF. or a patch
> > > offical or unoffical I DONT CARE I just want this read only stuff OFF. Now
> > > if
> > > you think I am overacting. It is hard to live with winamp constantly not
> > > showing your last playlist; or opera showing pages you had open when I
> > > first
> > > transfered the config files across. Trying to change settings on open
> > > source
> > > programs that refuse to change thanks to this ahem of a system that I cant
> > > disactivate. When I do; it turns itself BACK ON .

Man-wai Chang ToDie

Pralines in May wrote:
> Please tell me someone has an answer for this. I too am ready to throw this
> comp out the window.

You don't need to throw away a PC (hardware) for an OS (software) problem.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.3