something preventing me from accessing nbc.com

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

modernenigma@gmail.com

something preventing me from accessing nbc.com
I have found over the past few days, via 'Yahoo answers' that more and
more people are unable to access NBC.com. It also appears to be just
affecting IE.

I have ensured my OneCare anti-virus is up to date, downloaded
installed and updated ad-aware, flushed dns, tried different dns
servers, cleared all third party addons, tried IE in safe mode (or no
addons mode), checked host file, ran system restore..

Going to the IP address for nbc.com (64.210.192.67) comes up with a
page that simply says "It works!"

Adding nbc.com to trusted sites makes browser cycle through a site via
nbc.starcut.us before 'page can't be displayed'. Starcut.us
(214.39.58.204) goes to an Apache test page.

Firefox works fine.. will edit later if I come up with anything else

Any clues?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: something preventing me from accessing nbc.com
Going to 64.210.192.67 with Firefox in XP also shows " It Works ! "

http://web-sniffer.net/?url=64.210.1...type=GET&uak=0

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=64.210.192.67

Savvis SAVVIS (NET-64-210-192-0-1)
64.210.192.0 - 64.210.255.255
NBC UNIVERSAL SAVV-S263745-1 (NET-64-210-192-0-2)
64.210.192.0 - 64.210.193.255

Perhaps IE7's Agent String is the issue since this XP system can access
http://www.nbc.com with IE6 and Firefox can access it in Vista.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

modernenigma@gmail.com wrote:

> I have found over the past few days, via 'Yahoo answers' that more and
> more people are unable to access NBC.com. It also appears to be just
> affecting IE.
>
> I have ensured my OneCare anti-virus is up to date, downloaded
> installed and updated ad-aware, flushed dns, tried different dns
> servers, cleared all third party addons, tried IE in safe mode (or no
> addons mode), checked host file, ran system restore..
>
> Going to the IP address for nbc.com (64.210.192.67) comes up with a
> page that simply says "It works!"
>
> Adding nbc.com to trusted sites makes browser cycle through a site via
> nbc.starcut.us before 'page can't be displayed'. Starcut.us
> (214.39.58.204) goes to an Apache test page.
>
> Firefox works fine.. will edit later if I come up with anything else
>
> Any clues?

Charlie M

Re: something preventing me from accessing nbc.com
I'm seeing the same problem and it has been driving me crazy for the lst
several days as I've tried to find a solution.

I've got three different computers running Vista, and two can go to nbc.com,
and one fails with the same symptoms reported above.

The computers that work are running Vista Business Service Pack 1 (had SP1
RC1 installed that I uninstalled and then installed the real SP1 from via my
MSDN subscription download) and Vista Home Premium SP1 (no RC1 ever
installed).

The computer that fails is Vista Business SP1 (no RC1 ever installed).

And of course the computer that fails is my wife's. And she thinks it worked
before I updated her to SP1.

Any help in fixing this would be great.

kingsley.yip@gmail.com

On Feb 26, 8:38*pm, moderneni...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have found over the past few days, via 'Yahoo answers' that more and
> more people are unable to access NBC.com. *It also appears to be just
> affecting IE.
>
> I have ensured my OneCare anti-virus is up to date, downloaded
> installed and updated ad-aware, flushed dns, tried different dns
> servers, cleared all third party addons, tried IE in safe mode (or no
> addons mode), checked host file, ran system restore..
>
> Going to the IP address for nbc.com (64.210.192.67) comes up with a
> page that simply says "It works!"
>
> Adding nbc.com to trusted sites makes browser cycle through a site via
> nbc.starcut.us before 'page can't be displayed'. Starcut.us
> (214.39.58.204) goes to an Apache test page.
>
> Firefox works fine.. will edit later if I come up with anything else
>
> Any clues?

I'm having the exact same problem. Any help on how to solve this
issue would be greatly appreciated!
kingsley.yip@gmail.com

On Mar 6, 10:56*pm, kingsley....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 26, 8:38*pm, moderneni...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > I have found over the past few days, via 'Yahoo answers' that more and
> > more people are unable to access NBC.com. *It also appears to be just
> > affecting IE.

> > I have ensured my OneCare anti-virus is up to date, downloaded
> > installed and updated ad-aware, flushed dns, tried different dns
> > servers, cleared all third party addons, tried IE in safe mode (or no
> > addons mode), checked host file, ran system restore..

> > Going to the IP address for nbc.com (64.210.192.67) comes up with a
> > page that simply says "It works!"

> > Adding nbc.com to trusted sites makes browser cycle through a site via
> > nbc.starcut.us before 'page can't be displayed'. Starcut.us
> > (214.39.58.204) goes to an Apache test page.

> > Firefox works fine.. will edit later if I come up with anything else

> > Any clues?

> I'm having the exact same problem. *Any help on how to solve this
> issue would be greatly appreciated!- Hide quoted text -

After some more googling it seems that this is a problem specific to
tablet pc's. Is this the case for you guys as well?
(ps. I'm running vista and ie7)
Charlie M

Re: something preventing me from accessing nbc.com
Interesting observation about the tablet PC ...

My wife's machine is not a tablet PC, but it does use a Wacom Cintiq monitor
which does give the machine tablet PC functionality.

Also, I did not include it in my original response but she can get to
nbc.com using Firefox browser.

Charlie

"kingsley.yip@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Mar 6, 10:56 pm, kingsley....@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 8:38 pm, moderneni...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > > I have found over the past few days, via 'Yahoo answers' that more and
> > > more people are unable to access NBC.com. It also appears to be just
> > > affecting IE.

> > > I have ensured my OneCare anti-virus is up to date, downloaded
> > > installed and updated ad-aware, flushed dns, tried different dns
> > > servers, cleared all third party addons, tried IE in safe mode (or no
> > > addons mode), checked host file, ran system restore..

> > > Going to the IP address for nbc.com (64.210.192.67) comes up with a
> > > page that simply says "It works!"

> > > Adding nbc.com to trusted sites makes browser cycle through a site via
> > > nbc.starcut.us before 'page can't be displayed'. Starcut.us
> > > (214.39.58.204) goes to an Apache test page.

> > > Firefox works fine.. will edit later if I come up with anything else

> > > Any clues?

> > I'm having the exact same problem. Any help on how to solve this
> > issue would be greatly appreciated!- Hide quoted text -

> After some more googling it seems that this is a problem specific to
> tablet pc's. Is this the case for you guys as well?
> (ps. I'm running vista and ie7)

rammobile@gmail.com

Re: something preventing me from accessing nbc.com
Same issue from a Windows XP SP2 tablet with IE7.
Very weird that nbc.com is the only nonworking site.
Works from Mozilla Firefox on the tablet, also works on the same
internet connection from Vista ie7 on a desktop.
IP address also gives page cannot be displayed from tablet, but
resolves and goes to nbc.com in firefox.

On Mar 7, 1:46 am, Charlie M <Charl...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Interesting observation about the tablet PC ...
>
> My wife's machine is not a tablet PC, but it does use a Wacom Cintiq monitor
> which does give the machine tablet PC functionality.
>
> Also, I did not include it in my original response but she can get to
> nbc.com using Firefox browser.

rjgray60

Re: something preventing me from accessing nbc.com

http://anotherlab.rajapet.net/2008/0...th-ie7-on.html
I stumbled on this link....I have an HP vista tablet....ie7 with
same problem....followed links suggestion and added an "i" to nbc.....
e.g. nbci.com and that worked....have to add it to every link not just
original nbc...pain in the rear...hope they get this figured out....

--
rjgray60
rjgray60's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rjgray60.htm

http://forums.techarena.in