UAC

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Julsie

UAC
I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the
users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and
when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more "corrected
itself" and it is ticked again which means I have to start procedure again if
I want to use my dictation program.
Is there no way at all whereby I can permanently cancel the uac. I am
prepared to take the risks that may involve. To have to reboot my computer
every few hours to get programmes to work is a real nuisance.

I would really appreciate some help for this
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Re: UAC
Julsie wrote:
> I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
> mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the
> users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
> My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and
> when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more "corrected

Did you install DragonDictate as Administrator?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.2
Mark

Re: UAC
Uninstall DragonDictate.
Delete any remnants you find... folders, files.
Turn off UAC.
Re-install DragonDictate.
Leave UAC off. (If you turn it back on, DragonDictate will cease to
function.)
Some programs don't like it when UAC changes state after installation.

Now standby for all the UAC advocates, who somehow managed to survive the
last 30 years without it, telling you how bad it is to turn this off and how
much fun it is to answer that stupid prompt 10 times a day or more.

"Julsie" <Julsie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
> mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the
> users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
> My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and
> when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more

"corrected
> itself" and it is ticked again which means I have to start procedure again

if
> I want to use my dictation program.
> Is there no way at all whereby I can permanently cancel the uac. I am
> prepared to take the risks that may involve. To have to reboot my

computer
> every few hours to get programmes to work is a real nuisance.
>
> I would really appreciate some help for this

Malke

Re: UAC
Julsie wrote:

> I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
> mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the
> users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
> My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and
> when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more
> "corrected itself" and it is ticked again which means I have to start
> procedure again if I want to use my dictation program.
> Is there no way at all whereby I can permanently cancel the uac. I am
> prepared to take the risks that may involve. To have to reboot my
> computer every few hours to get programmes to work is a real nuisance.
>
> I would really appreciate some help for this

What do DragonDictate's tech support people say?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Julsie

Re: UAC
Thank you all for replying.
My problem simply is that If i turn off UAC it finds a way of reinstating!!!1
I want to remove it permanently- UAC

"Malke" wrote:

> Julsie wrote:
>
> > I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
> > mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the
> > users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
> > My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and
> > when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more
> > "corrected itself" and it is ticked again which means I have to start
> > procedure again if I want to use my dictation program.
> > Is there no way at all whereby I can permanently cancel the uac. I am
> > prepared to take the risks that may involve. To have to reboot my
> > computer every few hours to get programmes to work is a real nuisance.
> >
> > I would really appreciate some help for this

> What do DragonDictate's tech support people say?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Susan Bradley

Re: UAC
Never see the prompt.

If you install programs the proper way, you never see it.

Mark wrote:
> Uninstall DragonDictate.
> Delete any remnants you find... folders, files.
> Turn off UAC.
> Re-install DragonDictate.
> Leave UAC off. (If you turn it back on, DragonDictate will cease to
> function.)
> Some programs don't like it when UAC changes state after installation.
>
> Now standby for all the UAC advocates, who somehow managed to survive the
> last 30 years without it, telling you how bad it is to turn this off and how
> much fun it is to answer that stupid prompt 10 times a day or more.
>

> "Julsie" <Julsie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
>> mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the
>> users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
>> My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and
>> when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more

> "corrected
>> itself" and it is ticked again which means I have to start procedure again

> if
>> I want to use my dictation program.
>> Is there no way at all whereby I can permanently cancel the uac. I am
>> prepared to take the risks that may involve. To have to reboot my

> computer
>> every few hours to get programmes to work is a real nuisance.
>>
>> I would really appreciate some help for this

Mark

Re: UAC
Congratulations!
The proper way?
You mean you don't take a disk out of the box and use the standard method of
installation... you know: autorun.inf, setup.exe, install.exe, etc.?
(I noticed you didn't post this miracle cure so it could be tested by those
that install, test and remove ten or more programs a day.)

"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Never see the prompt.
>
> If you install programs the proper way, you never see it.
>
> Mark wrote:
> > Uninstall DragonDictate.
> > Delete any remnants you find... folders, files.
> > Turn off UAC.
> > Re-install DragonDictate.
> > Leave UAC off. (If you turn it back on, DragonDictate will cease to
> > function.)
> > Some programs don't like it when UAC changes state after installation.
> >
> > Now standby for all the UAC advocates, who somehow managed to survive

the
> > last 30 years without it, telling you how bad it is to turn this off and

how
> > much fun it is to answer that stupid prompt 10 times a day or more.
> >

> > "Julsie" <Julsie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated
> >> mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in

the
> >> users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate.
> >> My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function

and
> >> when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more

> > "corrected
> >> itself" and it is ticked again which means I have to start procedure

again
> > if
> >> I want to use my dictation program.
> >> Is there no way at all whereby I can permanently cancel the uac. I am
> >> prepared to take the risks that may involve. To have to reboot my

> > computer
> >> every few hours to get programmes to work is a real nuisance.
> >>
> >> I would really appreciate some help for this

Phil Wilson

Re: UAC
The miracle cure is to write apps and installation programs that don't
require administrator privileges. Unfortunately hardly anybody can be
bothered to do it because they've got used to NOT doing it (over the past 30
yrs). Should games really require administrator privilege to install and
run?
--
Phil Wilson
[MVP Windows Installer]

"Mark" <jmhonzell@nospam.insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Congratulations!
> The proper way?
> You mean you don't take a disk out of the box and use the standard method
> of
> installation... you know: autorun.inf, setup.exe, install.exe, etc.?
> (I noticed you didn't post this miracle cure so it could be tested by
> those
> that install, test and remove ten or more programs a day.)
>

> "Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Never see the prompt.
>>
>> If you install programs the proper way, you never see it.
>>
>> Mark wrote:
>> > Uninstall DragonDictate.
>> > Delete any remnants you find... folders, files.
>> > Turn off UAC.
>> > Re-install DragonDictate.
>> > Leave UAC off. (If you turn it back on, DragonDictate will cease to
>> > function.)
>> > Some programs don't like it when UAC changes state after installation.
>> >
>> > Now standby for all the UAC advocates, who somehow managed to survive

> the
>> > last 30 years without it, telling you how bad it is to turn this off
>> > and

> how
>> > much fun it is to answer that stupid prompt 10 times a day or more.
>> >

>> > "Julsie" <Julsie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the

> and
>> > "corrected

> again
>> > if
>> > computer

Kayman

Re: UAC
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 05:27:01 -0800, Julsie wrote:

> Thank you all for replying.
> My problem simply is that If i turn off UAC it finds a way of reinstating!!!1

Your real problem is that you refuse to listen to good advice.
Start educate yourself!
Re-read the responses from Malke, Susan and M-wai and act accordingly.

> I want to remove it permanently- UAC

Very bad idea!

Do not work in elevated level; Day-to-day work should be performed while
the User Account Control (UAC) is enabled. Turning off UAC reduces the
security of your computer and may expose you to increased risk from
malicious software.

Familiarize yourself with "Services Hardening in Windows Vista".
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...SecurityWatch/

UAC is important to have running in the first place, and it's doubly true
with the average consumer PC, which commonly has a non-technical user
responsible for maintaining it.
http://itsvista.com/2008/02/12-of-co...-down-from-16/

Peez of Pith :-)
Bob

Re: UAC
I disagree. If you are running AV, AS (2 or more) and a firewall AND you
have a working brain you don't need UAC.