Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008
Stephen @ ZennHAUS
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
Hi Everyone.

I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to
sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the
option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a notification
that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a help screen with
information about how to configure DEP both appear. If I try to configure
DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run unaffected, DEP tells
me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live Messenger.

So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I have
no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I removed
and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown Publisher
rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.

Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
issue between this and Messenger.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Stephen @ ZennHAUS

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008
Charlie42
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
"Stephen @ ZennHAUS" wrote:

> I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
> last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
> ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried
> to sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose
> the option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a
> notification that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a
> help screen with information about how to configure DEP both appear. If I
> try to configure DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run
> unaffected, DEP tells me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live
> Messenger.
>
> So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I
> have no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I
> removed and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown
> Publisher rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.
>
> Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
> Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
> issue between this and Messenger.


That is correct. Download and install this patch from Acer:

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/for...ords=&areaid=7

Charlie42

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2008
Jonathan Kay [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
This has been an issue for awhile -- I wonder why they've not started shipping PCs with this
fixed.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2008 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--


"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
news:#Cm6aezdIHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> That is correct. Download and install this patch from Acer:
>
> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/for...ords=&areaid=7
>
> Charlie42



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2008
Charlie42
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:

> This has been an issue for awhile -- I wonder why they've not started
> shipping PCs with this fixed.


They have, but for some reason there are still laptops in store with the
old, buggy software. The fixed security app has version number 2.5.3032 or
later, and has been available for over a year now. It is shipped on all new
models.

Charlie42

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2008
chaitanya385@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
On Feb 25, 2:05*am, "Stephen @ ZennHAUS"
<stephen.huis...@zennhaus.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
> last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
> ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to
> sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the
> option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a notification
> that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a help screen with
> information about how to configure DEP both appear. *If I try to configure
> DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run unaffected, DEP tells
> me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live Messenger.
>
> So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I have
> no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I removed
> and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown Publisher
> rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.
>
> Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
> Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
> issue between this and Messenger.
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses
>
> Stephen @ ZennHAUS


download it from www.soft32.com
firstfall delete the windowns live messenger from ur sys which is
already dowloaded and again dowload it from soft32.com , sometimes it
take may get errors .
first save windows live messenger for ur sys then install it then may
download it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-10-2008
Stephen @ ZennHAUS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
Thanks guys. Really sorry for the delay, but I have been away. It works now.
Thanks

Stephen @ ZennHAUS

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
news:53F6B278-75A5-46F6-8CE5-F7223B400BC6@microsoft.com...
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote:
>
>> This has been an issue for awhile -- I wonder why they've not started
>> shipping PCs with this fixed.

>
> They have, but for some reason there are still laptops in store with the
> old, buggy software. The fixed security app has version number 2.5.3032 or
> later, and has been available for over a year now. It is shipped on all
> new models.
>
> Charlie42


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2009
James
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista


"Stephen @ ZennHAUS" wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
> last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
> ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to
> sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the
> option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a notification
> that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a help screen with
> information about how to configure DEP both appear. If I try to configure
> DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run unaffected, DEP tells
> me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live Messenger.
>
> So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I have
> no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I removed
> and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown Publisher
> rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.
>
> Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
> Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
> issue between this and Messenger.
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses
>
> Stephen @ ZennHAUS
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2009
Jonathan Kay [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
Greetings,

Yes, the Acer eDataSecurity causes this to happen. Just uninstall it for a quick fix.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--


"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EF0312CA-186F-455A-8F8C-DAA690E9CDBE@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Stephen @ ZennHAUS" wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone.
>>
>> I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
>> last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
>> ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to
>> sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the
>> option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a notification
>> that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a help screen with
>> information about how to configure DEP both appear. If I try to configure
>> DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run unaffected, DEP tells
>> me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live Messenger.
>>
>> So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I have
>> no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I removed
>> and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown Publisher
>> rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.
>>
>> Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
>> Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
>> issue between this and Messenger.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any responses
>>
>> Stephen @ ZennHAUS
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2009
arico
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista


Hi there,

firstly be advised one should only download applications from the parent websites, and secondly I did face a similar problem and it took me over a month to find the actual cause. Now there are two ways for downloading and installing any application. the most common one is download the entire application, store it on your hdd and then install it, now in this case one downloads both the setup file as well as the application. The other one is online that’s the case of msn messenger, one can download and store the setup file but not the application.

Problem I had experienced.

On downloading, storing and later installing the application I was having a similar problem, on looking closer, I unchecked the box that pops up for download “CLOSE BOX AFTER DOWNLOAD COMPLETS” in order to see how much KB is being downloading, and to my surprise only 99% of the file was getting downloaded. After continuously trying I got 100% download and the application worked.

Now in the case of online download that the msn messenger, there is no way to find how much KB is getting downloaded, like once I was downloading yahoo messenger it showed me 100% download complete but when I installed it I was having the same problem, DEP was closing it.

Solution: make sure that you have downloaded the complete application 100% and always download it from the parent website.


arico





"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message news:eZRCBoidKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
>
> Yes, the Acer eDataSecurity causes this to happen. Just uninstall it for a quick fix.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>
>
> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EF0312CA-186F-455A-8F8C-DAA690E9CDBE@microsoft.com...
>>
>>
>> "Stephen @ ZennHAUS" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone.
>>>
>>> I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
>>> last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
>>> ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to
>>> sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the
>>> option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a notification
>>> that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a help screen with
>>> information about how to configure DEP both appear. If I try to configure
>>> DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run unaffected, DEP tells
>>> me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live Messenger.
>>>
>>> So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I have
>>> no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I removed
>>> and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown Publisher
>>> rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.
>>>
>>> Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
>>> Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
>>> issue between this and Messenger.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any responses
>>>
>>> Stephen @ ZennHAUS
>>>
>>>

>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2009
Jonathan Kay [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista
You can always check the digital signature of the executable to verify you have the complete,
unaltered version of a file from a specific company. It doesn't matter where it comes from
if the signature isn't broken.

Microsoft digitally signs all their code.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

"arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
news:02C97329-F946-40B4-8BE2-D262B2624840@microsoft.com...
>
>
> Hi there,
>
> firstly be advised one should only download applications from the parent websites, and
> secondly I did face a similar problem and it took me over a month to find the actual cause.
> Now there are two ways for downloading and installing any application. the most common one
> is download the entire application, store it on your hdd and then install it, now in this
> case one downloads both the setup file as well as the application. The other one is online
> that's the case of msn messenger, one can download and store the setup file but not the
> application.
>
> Problem I had experienced.
>
> On downloading, storing and later installing the application I was having a similar
> problem, on looking closer, I unchecked the box that pops up for download "CLOSE BOX AFTER
> DOWNLOAD COMPLETS" in order to see how much KB is being downloading, and to my surprise
> only 99% of the file was getting downloaded. After continuously trying I got 100% download
> and the application worked.
>
> Now in the case of online download that the msn messenger, there is no way to find how much
> KB is getting downloaded, like once I was downloading yahoo messenger it showed me 100%
> download complete but when I installed it I was having the same problem, DEP was closing
> it.
>
> Solution: make sure that you have downloaded the complete application 100% and always
> download it from the parent website.
>
>
> arico
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> news:eZRCBoidKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Yes, the Acer eDataSecurity causes this to happen. Just uninstall it for a quick fix.
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
>> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
>> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>> (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
>> --
>>
>>
>> "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:EF0312CA-186F-455A-8F8C-DAA690E9CDBE@microsoft.com...
>>>
>>>
>>> "Stephen @ ZennHAUS" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Everyone.
>>>>
>>>> I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought
>>>> last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the
>>>> ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to
>>>> sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the
>>>> option to "Check Online for a solution", after a few seconds a notification
>>>> that Windows DEP has stopped Windows Live Messenger and a help screen with
>>>> information about how to configure DEP both appear. If I try to configure
>>>> DEP so that Windows Live Messenger is allowed to run unaffected, DEP tells
>>>> me that DEP cannot be disabled for Windows Live Messenger.
>>>>
>>>> So in short, DEP is stopping Windows Live Messenger from running and I have
>>>> no idea how to fix it. The only other thing I noticed is that when I removed
>>>> and reinstalled Messenger, it says that it is from an Unknown Publisher
>>>> rather than from Microsoft as it usually does.
>>>>
>>>> Also, this machine is running the Acer eMpowered services including eData
>>>> Security and I hear (but cannot confirm) that there could possibly be an
>>>> issue between this and Messenger.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks in advance for any responses
>>>>
>>>> Stephen @ ZennHAUS
>>>>
>>>>

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista Stephen @ ZennHAUS microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 10 12-07-2009 04:41
MS07-054 - Important: Vulnerability in MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Could Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 09-11-2007 21:50
windows live messenger on vista mmmlinzi microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 05-25-2007 10:17
Yahoo messenger and Windows Live Messenger wont connect on Vista =?Utf-8?B?TXVyYXQ=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 03-02-2007 05:06
Live Messenger with Windows Vista =?Utf-8?B?U3Bpbm96aWFuYQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-01-2007 12:33




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120