trojan removal?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Heath

trojan removal?
I run spybot search and destroy and it finds a corrupt file. i then fix the
problem however the file is still there. I can find the file myself but I am
not able to delete it because it says "in use cannot delete" . So know what
should I do.

c:\windows\system\32\drivers\core.cache.dsk

that is the problem file . and when i do FIX IT with S&D do i then allow
windows defender to permit or is windows seeing the error as well. I have
difficulty reading the language! thanks
Malke

Re: trojan removal?
Heath wrote:

> I run spybot search and destroy and it finds a corrupt file. i then fix
> the
> problem however the file is still there. I can find the file myself but I
> am not able to delete it because it says "in use cannot delete" . So know
> what should I do.
>
> c:\windows\system\32\drivers\core.cache.dsk
>
> that is the problem file . and when i do FIX IT with S&D do i then allow
> windows defender to permit or is windows seeing the error as well. I have
> difficulty reading the language! thanks

A quick search for "core.cache.dsk" brings up a lot of links on Google about
removing this:

You've obviously got malware that is respawning and Spybot alone won't get
rid of it. Look at some of the links from the search above and/or go
through these general malware removal steps:

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
- download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that worry
you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and you'll
see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". You'll see
"Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download Multi_AV.

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. If you are unable to remove the infection by following the
general steps, register at one of the HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Engel

RE: trojan removal?
Hello Heath,

Restart in safe mode and scan with both updated Sybot S&D, your antivirus,
and Windows Defender.

Another very good antimalware app is Superantispyware. (Free) Try with this
in Safe mode again
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

Write back if this can't be removed in safe-mode.

Good luck
- -- --