"Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Steve Samson

"Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies
I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the first
time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include:

- Starting anything as "Run as Administrator"
- Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list

Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the last
time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to
define attributes for trusted programs so the dialog is not necessary?

Please do not suggest disabling UAC. The nagging is intolerable.
Kayman

Re: "Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:57:01 -0800, Steve Samson wrote:

> I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the first
> time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include:
>
> - Starting anything as "Run as Administrator"
> - Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list
>
> Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the last
> time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to
> define attributes for trusted programs so the dialog is not necessary?
>
> Please do not suggest disabling UAC. The nagging is intolerable.

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: "Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies
What software needs to run as admin all the time.

Next check this out
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...-kit-done.aspx
There's a command in the book that may be of interest to you

Lastly you can adjust UAC to silently elevate

Steve Samson wrote:
> I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the first
> time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include:
>
> - Starting anything as "Run as Administrator"
> - Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list
>
> Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the last
> time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to
> define attributes for trusted programs so the dialog is not necessary?
>
> Please do not suggest disabling UAC. The nagging is intolerable.

Mark

Re: "Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies
No, you cannot train the function.
You must train the operator. (See other posted answers.)

If MS could have taken you out of the process, it would have been done.
Instead, because the process of determining what is valid or not is so
unreliable, they gave the task to you, because when you finally tire of
answering this prompt and start simply clicking it away without reading...
they can now blame you for messing up their work of art.

So, if you find you are tired of the never ceasing prompts:
1. Revert to XP for a couple of years, or
2. Perform a clean install and turn UAC off immediately, or
(Some programs don't like UAC changing state after installation.)
3. Get used to it... it's the future of protection.
(It's too hard to program, so we leave the Yes/No answer to you because
you know better that ksxrvdl.exe belongs in your Program folder. It's your
responsibility, so YOU WILL answer the prompts and relieve us of the
responsibility.)

"Steve Samson" <SteveSamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the first
> time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include:
>
> - Starting anything as "Run as Administrator"
> - Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list
>
> Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the last
> time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to
> define attributes for trusted programs so the dialog is not necessary?
>
> Please do not suggest disabling UAC. The nagging is intolerable.

Bob

Re: "Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies

To disable UAC prompts: (not UAC)
Run Regedit and navigate to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System]
Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin from "2" to "0".

> "Steve Samson" <SteveSamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the
>> first
>> time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include:
>>
>> - Starting anything as "Run as Administrator"
>> - Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list
>>
>> Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the
>> last
>> time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to
>> define attributes for trusted programs so the dialog is not necessary?
>>
>> Please do not suggest disabling UAC. The nagging is intolerable.

Mark

Re: "Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies
If you read the prompts when you do this, it will tell you UAC is turned
off.
And, you will constantly be reminded to turn it back on with the little red
shield and tooltips.

news:PsCdnQ2kSsHdI1_anZ2dnUVZ_sOrnZ2d@comcast.com. ..