Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PCrunning when I am away

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

techman41973@yahoo.com

Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PCrunning when I am away
I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the
Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open
the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is
on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able
to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and
applications and have the desktop continue to record podcasts from the
internet using a tool called Replay AV and run other background
applications. However when I am away, I want to be able to also
prevent anyone from accessing the desktop via the keyboard (simply
hiding the keyboard in a safe place isnt going to cut it). Ideally if
someone tried to access the computer from the keyboard they would be
prompted for a password. Is this possible with Windows Vista?
Basically I want to lock out physical users via the keyboard but still
allow the computer to continue to run background applications and
remain accessable from the internet for remote access. Thanks
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PC running when I am away
Hi,

Set a strong password on your account, then either use "switch user" to log
off (which keeps your account in resident memory and running), or set a
screensaver with the password option enabled and a short time-out.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the
> Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open
> the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is
> on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able
> to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and
> applications and have the desktop continue to record podcasts from the
> internet using a tool called Replay AV and run other background
> applications. However when I am away, I want to be able to also
> prevent anyone from accessing the desktop via the keyboard (simply
> hiding the keyboard in a safe place isnt going to cut it). Ideally if
> someone tried to access the computer from the keyboard they would be
> prompted for a password. Is this possible with Windows Vista?
> Basically I want to lock out physical users via the keyboard but still
> allow the computer to continue to run background applications and
> remain accessable from the internet for remote access. Thanks

Robert McMillan

Re: Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PC running when I am away
<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the
> Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open
> the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is
> on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able
> to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and
> applications and have the desktop continue to record podcasts from the
> internet using a tool called Replay AV and run other background
> applications. However when I am away, I want to be able to also
> prevent anyone from accessing the desktop via the keyboard (simply
> hiding the keyboard in a safe place isnt going to cut it). Ideally if
> someone tried to access the computer from the keyboard they would be
> prompted for a password. Is this possible with Windows Vista?
> Basically I want to lock out physical users via the keyboard but still
> allow the computer to continue to run background applications and
> remain accessable from the internet for remote access. Thanks

How about using the Lock pc function next to Shutdown in the start menu or
enabling screensaver passwords. Both of these should leave all functions
running but require a password for anyone to access the computer.
HTH
Robert

Sascha Jazbec

Re: Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PC running when I am away
Have a look in the following : Start ->type in

"secpol.msc" without quotes,

theres a lot you can select to make pc more secure.

Next item to launch would be "gpedit.msc", Administrative templates for the
local computer or per User or for both.

If my memory serves me well you will find in one of those mmc-snap-ins the
item to disable removable devices for not-local logged in users / e.g. that
USB sticks will not be mounted as long as nobody local is logged on the
system / which you can prevent with "lock PC" plus CTRL+ALT+DEL option, plus
"Do not show last logged on user" etc.. there is really much to "cripple" a
PC for non-authorized people.

All these mmc snap-ins are in Vista Business,Enterprise and Ultimate.
Because you mentioned Bitlocker, you will have either Enterprise or
Ultimate.

Sascha/germany

<techman41973@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the
> Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open
> the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is
> on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able
> to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and
> applications and have the desktop continue to record podcasts from the
> internet using a tool called Replay AV and run other background
> applications. However when I am away, I want to be able to also
> prevent anyone from accessing the desktop via the keyboard (simply
> hiding the keyboard in a safe place isnt going to cut it). Ideally if
> someone tried to access the computer from the keyboard they would be
> prompted for a password. Is this possible with Windows Vista?
> Basically I want to lock out physical users via the keyboard but still
> allow the computer to continue to run background applications and
> remain accessable from the internet for remote access. Thanks

AlexB

Re: Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PC running when I am away
You can do it al in Vista. It is a very secure system. It will resist your
attempts to work on it with no password.

You can download Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (free), beta2 for
Vista, from MS website and run it periodically. It will give you a complete
analysis of your potential vulnerabilities in a form of a nice report easily
interpretable.

<techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the
> Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open
> the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is
> on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able
> to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and
> applications and have the desktop continue to record podcasts from the
> internet using a tool called Replay AV and run other background
> applications. However when I am away, I want to be able to also
> prevent anyone from accessing the desktop via the keyboard (simply
> hiding the keyboard in a safe place isnt going to cut it). Ideally if
> someone tried to access the computer from the keyboard they would be
> prompted for a password. Is this possible with Windows Vista?
> Basically I want to lock out physical users via the keyboard but still
> allow the computer to continue to run background applications and
> remain accessable from the internet for remote access. Thanks

NoStop

AlexB wrote:

> You can do it al in Vista. It is a very secure system. It will resist your
> attempts to work on it with no password.
>
> You can download Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (free), beta2 for
> Vista, from MS website and run it periodically. It will give you a
> complete analysis of your potential vulnerabilities in a form of a nice
> report easily interpretable.

Nothing beats a "nice report" about Vista's vulnerabilities. Then again, it
doesn't take much to impress simpletons. How about if MickeyMouse came up
with an operating system that wasn't vulnerable in the first place?
Probably asking too much.

Cheers.

> <techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the
>> Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open
>> the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is
>> on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able
>> to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and
>> applications and have the desktop continue to record podcasts from the
>> internet using a tool called Replay AV and run other background
>> applications. However when I am away, I want to be able to also
>> prevent anyone from accessing the desktop via the keyboard (simply
>> hiding the keyboard in a safe place isnt going to cut it). Ideally if
>> someone tried to access the computer from the keyboard they would be
>> prompted for a password. Is this possible with Windows Vista?
>> Basically I want to lock out physical users via the keyboard but still
>> allow the computer to continue to run background applications and
>> remain accessable from the internet for remote access. Thanks

--
The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

Proprietary Software: a 20th Century software business model.

Q: What OS is built for lusers?
A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

Frank, hard at work on his Vista computer all day:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/compost.htm

Frank

NoStop wrote:

> Nothing beats a "nice report" about Vista's vulnerabilities. Then again, it
> doesn't take much to impress simpletons. How about if MickeyMouse came up
> with an operating system that wasn't vulnerable in the first place?
> Probably asking too much.
>
> Cheers.

Oh...and you think (fool) you have an os that has no vulnerabilities?
You're dumber than originally thought...if that is even possible.
Frank