Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

HeatherLasVegas

Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!

I've tried and tried, please I hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba
A215-4817 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My troubles began when
my cd/dvd was not operating properly. Toshiba support said my operating
system was corrupt. I didn't believe that just because the cd/dvd
wasn't working properly that the os is corrupt, maybe they were right.
I have extremely important info on my hd as I do taxes for a living. In
an effort to trouble shoot the cd/dvd I booted into safe mode. No-one
tole me that the administrator account is disabled by default! So now I
can't get out of safe mode. I have access to only my limited user
account and uac is enabled. System restore doesn't change boot options.
I can't edit registry = access denied, cmd.exe when trying to activate
administrator account = system error 5. Please help. Surely I'm not
the only bozo to do this?! I knew I didn't want Vista when I purchased
this laptop!

--
HeatherLasVegas
Bob

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
Did you try to simply restart your PC?

"HeatherLasVegas" <HeatherLasVegas.355wr2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I've tried and tried, please I hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba
> A215-4817 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My troubles began when
> my cd/dvd was not operating properly. Toshiba support said my operating
> system was corrupt. I didn't believe that just because the cd/dvd
> wasn't working properly that the os is corrupt, maybe they were right.
> I have extremely important info on my hd as I do taxes for a living. In
> an effort to trouble shoot the cd/dvd I booted into safe mode. No-one
> tole me that the administrator account is disabled by default! So now I
> can't get out of safe mode. I have access to only my limited user
> account and uac is enabled. System restore doesn't change boot options.
> I can't edit registry = access denied, cmd.exe when trying to activate
> administrator account = system error 5. Please help. Surely I'm not
> the only bozo to do this?! I knew I didn't want Vista when I purchased
> this laptop!
>

> --
> HeatherLasVegas

HeatherLasVegas

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!

Yes, I've tried simply rebooting.

When it boots up is says:

The system is booting in safe mode - Directory Services Reppair
Boot logging enabled

--
HeatherLasVegas
Mick Murphy

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
When it goes back into Safe mode again:

Start>Programs>Accessories>Run> Type in Run: msconfig
Hit OK, and select normal startup

Cheers!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"HeatherLasVegas" wrote:

> Yes, I've tried simply rebooting.
>
> When it boots up is says:
>
> The system is booting in safe mode - Directory Services Reppair
> Boot logging enabled
>

> --
> HeatherLasVegas

HeatherLasVegas

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!

Msconfig Does not work when UAC is enabled with a limited user account!

--
HeatherLasVegas
Marcus L. Jackson

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
Have you tried to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button? It
should've been able to reboot either that way or from the start-up menu by
simply choosing "shutdown/restart from the start up menu. but, When all
else fails, simply disconnect it from it's power source, then reconnect
after a minute or so.
"HeatherLasVegas" <HeatherLasVegas.355wr2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I've tried and tried, please I hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba
> A215-4817 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My troubles began when
> my cd/dvd was not operating properly. Toshiba support said my operating
> system was corrupt. I didn't believe that just because the cd/dvd
> wasn't working properly that the os is corrupt, maybe they were right.
> I have extremely important info on my hd as I do taxes for a living. In
> an effort to trouble shoot the cd/dvd I booted into safe mode. No-one
> tole me that the administrator account is disabled by default! So now I
> can't get out of safe mode. I have access to only my limited user
> account and uac is enabled. System restore doesn't change boot options.
> I can't edit registry = access denied, cmd.exe when trying to activate
> administrator account = system error 5. Please help. Surely I'm not
> the only bozo to do this?! I knew I didn't want Vista when I purchased
> this laptop!
>

> --
> HeatherLasVegas

Marcus L. Jackson

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
Or something else you might want to try. Turn it off, but this time press
and hold the F8 key during start up. It' going to give you the option to
start Win normally or in safe mode. Go back into safe mode this way then
try to shutdown from the start- up menu again. If that doesn't work, go
through those same steps, but this time choose to start Win normally.
Finally, you can have it to try and fix itself via F11 or one of the other
opts in F8.
"Marcus L. Jackson" <mleddell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button?
> It should've been able to reboot either that way or from the start-up menu
> by simply choosing "shutdown/restart from the start up menu. but, When
> all else fails, simply disconnect it from it's power source, then
> reconnect after a minute or so.
> "HeatherLasVegas" <HeatherLasVegas.355wr2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in
> message news:HeatherLasVegas.355wr2@no-mx.forums.net...
>>
>> I've tried and tried, please I hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba
>> A215-4817 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My troubles began when
>> my cd/dvd was not operating properly. Toshiba support said my operating
>> system was corrupt. I didn't believe that just because the cd/dvd
>> wasn't working properly that the os is corrupt, maybe they were right.
>> I have extremely important info on my hd as I do taxes for a living. In
>> an effort to trouble shoot the cd/dvd I booted into safe mode. No-one
>> tole me that the administrator account is disabled by default! So now I
>> can't get out of safe mode. I have access to only my limited user
>> account and uac is enabled. System restore doesn't change boot options.
>> I can't edit registry = access denied, cmd.exe when trying to activate
>> administrator account = system error 5. Please help. Surely I'm not
>> the only bozo to do this?! I knew I didn't want Vista when I purchased
>> this laptop!
>>

>> --
>> HeatherLasVegas

Mick Murphy

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
Marcus, read the heading on the thread!!!

She CAN'T get out of Safe Mode, and you are trying to get here into it,lol.

And F11 is not the answer; come on!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Marcus L. Jackson" wrote:

> Or something else you might want to try. Turn it off, but this time press
> and hold the F8 key during start up. It' going to give you the option to
> start Win normally or in safe mode. Go back into safe mode this way then
> try to shutdown from the start- up menu again. If that doesn't work, go
> through those same steps, but this time choose to start Win normally.
> Finally, you can have it to try and fix itself via F11 or one of the other
> opts in F8.
> "Marcus L. Jackson" <mleddell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button?
> > It should've been able to reboot either that way or from the start-up menu
> > by simply choosing "shutdown/restart from the start up menu. but, When
> > all else fails, simply disconnect it from it's power source, then
> > reconnect after a minute or so.
> > "HeatherLasVegas" <HeatherLasVegas.355wr2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in
> > message news:HeatherLasVegas.355wr2@no-mx.forums.net...
> >>
> >> I've tried and tried, please I hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba
> >> A215-4817 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My troubles began when
> >> my cd/dvd was not operating properly. Toshiba support said my operating
> >> system was corrupt. I didn't believe that just because the cd/dvd
> >> wasn't working properly that the os is corrupt, maybe they were right.
> >> I have extremely important info on my hd as I do taxes for a living. In
> >> an effort to trouble shoot the cd/dvd I booted into safe mode. No-one
> >> tole me that the administrator account is disabled by default! So now I
> >> can't get out of safe mode. I have access to only my limited user
> >> account and uac is enabled. System restore doesn't change boot options.
> >> I can't edit registry = access denied, cmd.exe when trying to activate
> >> administrator account = system error 5. Please help. Surely I'm not
> >> the only bozo to do this?! I knew I didn't want Vista when I purchased
> >> this laptop!
> >>

> >> --
> >> HeatherLasVegas

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
Hello,
She first needs to logon on as administrator which is problem 1, which may
resolve the issue.
If not boot to safe mode can be prompted by bootstat.dat file located in
the \boot folder.
If the machine did not boot sucesfully ( dirty shutdown-power-off, Stop
screen on boot, etc) bootstat.dat is checked on next boot for a dirty
shutdown, if that file cannot changed, it's possible that Windows will
prompt to go into safe mode each time.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?TWljayBNdXJwaHk=?= <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!
|> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:35:00 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|>
|> Marcus, read the heading on the thread!!!
|>
|> She CAN'T get out of Safe Mode, and you are trying to get here into
it,lol.

|> And F11 is not the answer; come on!!!
|> --
|> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
|>

|> "Marcus L. Jackson" wrote:
|>
|> > Or something else you might want to try. Turn it off, but this time
press
|> > and hold the F8 key during start up. It' going to give you the option
|> > start Win normally or in safe mode. Go back into safe mode this way
then
|> > try to shutdown from the start- up menu again. If that doesn't work,
go
|> > through those same steps, but this time choose to start Win normally.
|> > Finally, you can have it to try and fix itself via F11 or one of the
other
|> > opts in F8.
|> > "Marcus L. Jackson" <mleddell@gmail.com> wrote in message
When

Toshiba
No-one

HeatherLasVegas

Re: Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I was able to successfully get
out of safe mode by rebuilding the master boot record; access attained
through an XP OS disk.

Having set the machine in safe mode via: msconfig, only an
administrator acct could access it. With only a limited user acct. I
used the XP OS disk to get to the options screen where I chose command
prompt. This takes you to a cmd.exe prompt logged on as an
administrator acct. It shows the account name as "Administrator: X:" I
could then rebuild the bcd. file, thus eliminating the safe mode boot
option previously selected in msconfig.

I sure am glad I didn't listen to Toshiba's Support team - I no longer
think the OS is corrupted, and my cd/dvd works just fine! Imagine
that. Thanks again everyone!

--
HeatherLasVegas