POP UPS - AAARGH!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Rach

POP UPS - AAARGH!
The kids have been playing online games, and I have suddenly got constant pop
ups (All start with CiD, if this helps!)- despite having Norton, and using
Spybot to try to sort out the problem. I finally resorted to Restore Point,
but it is not able to do this as it says that there have been 2 files that
haven't been backed up, and I am not able to see which ones these are. (I've
tried to Restore Point before and this always happens!)
Please help?!
Malke

Re: POP UPS - AAARGH!
Rach wrote:

> The kids have been playing online games, and I have suddenly got constant
> pop ups (All start with CiD, if this helps!)- despite having Norton, and
> using Spybot to try to sort out the problem. I finally resorted to Restore
> Point, but it is not able to do this as it says that there have been 2
> files that haven't been backed up, and I am not able to see which ones
> these are. (I've tried to Restore Point before and this always happens!)
> Please help?!

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/siche...ning_tool.html
- download site

The site is in German but David's tool is in English so don't let that worry
you. Scroll all the way down to almost the bottom of the page and you'll
see a box titled "Infos Zum Download - Multi-AV Scanning Tool". You'll see
"Download von www pctipp.ch" and the live link to download Multi_AV.

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the first link above (not here, please).

Not all tools used will work in Vista and you will need to run them
elevated. If you are unable to remove the infection by following the
general steps, register at one of the HijackThis forums as suggested.

Standard disclaimer: I can't see and test your computer myself, so these are
just suggestions based on many years of being a professional computer tech;
suggestions based on what you've written. You should not take my
suggestions as a definitive diagnosis. If you can't do the work yourself
(and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea), take the
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent
of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be aware that not all local shops
are skilled at removing malware and even if they are, your computer may be
so infested that Windows will need to be clean-installed. If possible, have
all your data backed up before you take the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Paul Smith

Re: POP UPS - AAARGH!
"Rach" <Rach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The kids have been playing online games, and I have suddenly got constant
> pop
> ups (All start with CiD, if this helps!)- despite having Norton, and using
> Spybot to try to sort out the problem. I finally resorted to Restore
> Point,
> but it is not able to do this as it says that there have been 2 files that
> haven't been backed up, and I am not able to see which ones these are.
> (I've
> tried to Restore Point before and this always happens!)
> Please help?!

In addition to what Malke said, in the future for best practice you might
want to consider not giving them administrative rights.

That way they won't be able to make system-wide changes like this. The
absolute worse they'll be able to do is screw up their own user account,
which can quickly be deleted and re-created by the administrator.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*