help on windows security center

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

robert the bruce

help on windows security center
i am new to computing an am trying to sort my security out. is windows
security center all the security i need? becuse my mate downloaded virgin
broadband pc guard on my comp and to me they both av the same protection. wat
is the difference? can i use just the windows security?av u any useful info
on security.
--
rockonjimmy
Charlie42

Re: help on windows security center
"robert the bruce" <robertthebruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> i am new to computing an am trying to sort my security out. is windows
> security center all the security i need? becuse my mate downloaded virgin
> broadband pc guard on my comp and to me they both av the same
> protection. wat is the difference? can i use just the windows security?av
> u any useful info on security.

They are not the same, and no - Windows Security Center is not all you need.
The Security Center monitors your computer's anti-malware, firewall, updates
and security settings status, but is itself neither of these.

Basic computer protection calls for some additional software: An anti-virus
and preferably a second anti-spyware scanner (you already have Windows
Defender). Most homeusers are perfectly well covered by Vista's built-in
firewall, but you can install a third party one of course (just make sure
you do not run more than one at a time, the same goes for the anti-virus).
Enable your router firewall too, if you have one.

I am not familiar with PC Guard myself, but from what I can see it is a
security suite that includes all of the application types I mentioned
above - and a lot of bloatware you probably do not need as well. I recommend
you bin the suite and get yourself an AV and an AS program, and leave it
with that. Browse through the posts in this newsgroup, you will find a lot
of discussions concerning different security programs, some of which are
free (and still do a decent job).

Security software:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/default.mspx
What you can do to protect yourself: