Windows firewall won't stay on for more that 2 minutes!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

angieb50

Windows firewall won't stay on for more that 2 minutes!!
I have an Acer Aspire 5103 running Windows Vista Premium and using Firefox.
I have not downloaded a third party firewall.
Every 2 minutes or so the red shield appears in the icon tray and when I
click on it it tells me the firewall is deactivated. I activate it, it goes
on and then two minutes later off again!!!! Help!
Malke

Re: Windows firewall won't stay on for more that 2 minutes!!
angieb50 wrote:

> I have an Acer Aspire 5103 running Windows Vista Premium and using
> Firefox. I have not downloaded a third party firewall.
> Every 2 minutes or so the red shield appears in the icon tray and when I
> click on it it tells me the firewall is deactivated. I activate it, it
> goes on and then two minutes later off again!!!! Help!

Are you *sure* you don't have another firewall installed as part of a
security suite (Norton Internet Security, Windows Live OneCare etc.)? What
antivirus program are you using?

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things
worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
angieb50

"Malke" wrote:

> angieb50 wrote:
>
> > I have an Acer Aspire 5103 running Windows Vista Premium and using
> > Firefox. I have not downloaded a third party firewall.
> > Every 2 minutes or so the red shield appears in the icon tray and when I
> > click on it it tells me the firewall is deactivated. I activate it, it
> > goes on and then two minutes later off again!!!! Help!

> Are you *sure* you don't have another firewall installed as part of a
> security suite (Norton Internet Security, Windows Live OneCare etc.)? What
> antivirus program are you using?
>
> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things
> worked and the time they didn't?
>
> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> versions) did you use to determine this?
>
> Be sure the computer is clean:
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Hi Yes I'm sure I'm not using another firewall. Well, think I'm sure! I
use AVG (free) antivirus, Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. I run them frequently.
As for what's happened, can't think of anything. Haven't downloaded
anything new. Just normal Windows updates.

angieb50 wrote:

> Hi Yes I'm sure I'm not using another firewall. Well, think I'm sure! I
> use AVG (free) antivirus, Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. I run them
> frequently.
> As for what's happened, can't think of anything. Haven't downloaded
> anything new. Just normal Windows updates.

Then start by running through the malware scanning steps in the link I gave
you. If the machine is really clean, then look in Event Viewer for clues.

Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Kerry Brown

"angieb50" <angieb50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> angieb50 wrote:
>>
>> > I have an Acer Aspire 5103 running Windows Vista Premium and using
>> > Firefox. I have not downloaded a third party firewall.
>> > Every 2 minutes or so the red shield appears in the icon tray and when
>> > click on it it tells me the firewall is deactivated. I activate it, it
>> > goes on and then two minutes later off again!!!! Help!

>> Are you *sure* you don't have another firewall installed as part of a
>> security suite (Norton Internet Security, Windows Live OneCare etc.)?
>> What
>> antivirus program are you using?
>>
>> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
>> things
>> worked and the time they didn't?
>>
>> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
>> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
>> versions) did you use to determine this?
>>
>> Be sure the computer is clean:
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> Don't Panic!
>>

> Hi Yes I'm sure I'm not using another firewall. Well, think I'm sure! I
> use AVG (free) antivirus, Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. I run them
> frequently.
> As for what's happened, can't think of anything. Haven't downloaded
> anything new. Just normal Windows updates.

Most Acer's come with a trial version of Norton. If you activated the trial
then decided to uninstall it the uninstall may not have been complete. In
the Control Panel under Uninstall a Program do you have any Norton or
Symantec products listed? Run services.msc and look to see if any Norton or
Symantec services are running.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: R&D

angieb50

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "angieb50" <angieb50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Are you *sure* you don't have another firewall installed as part of a
> >> security suite (Norton Internet Security, Windows Live OneCare etc.)?
> >> What
> >> antivirus program are you using?
> >>
> >> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
> >> things
> >> worked and the time they didn't?
> >>
> >> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
> >> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> >> versions) did you use to determine this?
> >>
> >> Be sure the computer is clean:
> >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> MS-MVP
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> Don't Panic!
> >>

> > Hi Yes I'm sure I'm not using another firewall. Well, think I'm sure! I
> > use AVG (free) antivirus, Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. I run them
> > frequently.
> > As for what's happened, can't think of anything. Haven't downloaded
> > anything new. Just normal Windows updates.
> >

> Most Acer's come with a trial version of Norton. If you activated the trial
> then decided to uninstall it the uninstall may not have been complete. In
> the Control Panel under Uninstall a Program do you have any Norton or
> Symantec products listed? Run services.msc and look to see if any Norton or
> Symantec services are running.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: R&D
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> Ok, now I'm going to demonstrate how useless I really am. On Windows XP Run was no problem to find and use, but what about on Vista?? Can't find it anywhere!

Kerry Brown

>> Ok, now I'm going to demonstrate how useless I really am. On Windows XP
>> Run was no problem to find and use, but what about on Vista?? Can't find
>> it anywhere!

Click on the Start Orb. Start typing. When you see the program you want in
the search list click on it. If you really want Start/Run then press the
WinKey-R combination or look in All Programs/Accessories. I find the Start
Search method much better than XP's Start/Run command.

"Malke" wrote:

> angieb50 wrote:
>
> > Hi Yes I'm sure I'm not using another firewall. Well, think I'm sure! I
> > use AVG (free) antivirus, Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. I run them
> > frequently.
> > As for what's happened, can't think of anything. Haven't downloaded
> > anything new. Just normal Windows updates.

> Then start by running through the malware scanning steps in the link I gave
> you. If the machine is really clean, then look in Event Viewer for clues.
>
> Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Thanks for advice. Yes, think it's too difficult for me to do. Guess I'll
have to find someone to do it although not easy where I am. Hard to find
anything other than PCBox and all that sort of rubbish!!!
angieb50

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "angieb50" <angieb50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Ok, now I'm going to demonstrate how useless I really am. On Windows XP
> >> Run was no problem to find and use, but what about on Vista?? Can't find
> >> it anywhere!

> Click on the Start Orb. Start typing. When you see the program you want in
> the search list click on it. If you really want Start/Run then press the
> WinKey-R combination or look in All Programs/Accessories. I find the Start
> Search method much better than XP's Start/Run command.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: R&D
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> Thanks Kerry. Have done it but no joy. Any other suggestions?

Kerry Brown

>> Thanks Kerry. Have done it but no joy. Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean by no joy. You couldn't get services.msc to run
or you did but there were no Norton or Symantec services running?