Add Programs That Aren't Installed Automatically

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Jeff

Add Programs That Aren't Installed Automatically
Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me understand Vista so that I can work
with some add-on programs.

One of the programs is GrafiCalc. GrafiCalc is part of a Calculator Suite
which is provided in .zip format. When the .zip file is expanded, three (3)
folders are created, one for GrafiCalc, and one each for two additional
programs that are part of that suite.

The only additional step toward using the programs is to enter an activation
code the first time the program is run.

When I go to the Start, All Programs button, the folders that I have added
to the Program Files folder don't show up. I realize that I can create
shortcuts on the desktop; however, I would like to make sure that all of the
programs are included in the same folder (if possible).

Am I missing something? Is there some sort of recommended protocol for
dealing with this kind of situation?

Thanks

Jeff
Gary Mount

Re: Add Programs That Aren't Installed Automatically
If GrafiCalc does not have a setup program or an installer then it does not
add a short cut to the start menus.
It instead can be run by double clicking on the executable file without
requiring to install the application first. In that case you can just create
a short cut to the .exe file and move or copy the short cut to your stat
menu.
These types of programs are sometimes referred to as xcopy deployable
programs. Meaning they don't require installing them first, writing
information into the windows registry and creating short cuts on the start
menu and desktop. Just copy to the computer and run it.

A program may however write infomation into the windows registry on its
first run, or it might write files in its own directory bypassing the
registry just like how programs stored user settings in .ini files in the
days before the windows registry was invented.