More proof that default passwords are bad

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Hank Arnold (MVP)

More proof that default passwords are bad
This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default
passwords for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not
changing the default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone
now.... :-(
--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Tom Allen

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
> This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default
> passwords for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not
> changing the default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone
> now.... :-(
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

Any chance of a link to that 'sight' ?

Tom

DevilsPGD

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad
In message <u0jpuVhcIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
<rasilon@aol.com> wrote:

>This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default
>passwords for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not
>changing the default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone
>now.... :-(

When has anyone with any level of competence ever suggested that
changing default router (and other) passwords is bad?

"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <u0jpuVhcIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
> <rasilon@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default
>>passwords for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not
>>changing the default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone
>>now.... :-(

> When has anyone with any level of competence ever suggested that
> changing default router (and other) passwords is bad?

Probably never, but that's false logic and not the same as regarding not
changing them as not bad :-)

Tom

Gary Mount

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad
If I forgot my password for my hardware device, such as my router, I would
need to reset it if I wanted to change settings on the device.
It would then revert to its default password, and it might be handy to have
a web site where I could find out what the new password is if I could not
locate my manual for the device.

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
> This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default passwords
> for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not changing the
> default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone now.... :-(
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

SG

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad
This one maybe?
http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

--
All the best,
SG

"Tom Allen" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
>> This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default
>> passwords for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not
>> changing the default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone
>> now.... :-(
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Server - Directory Services

> Any chance of a link to that 'sight' ?
>
> Tom

SG

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad
Or maybe this?
http://www.cirt.net/cgi-bin/passwd.pl

--
All the best,
SG

"Tom Allen" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
>> This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default
>> passwords for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not
>> changing the default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone
>> now.... :-(
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Server - Directory Services

> Any chance of a link to that 'sight' ?
>
> Tom

Rojo Habe

"Gary Mount" <gary_mount@telus.net> wrote in message
> If I forgot my password for my hardware device, such as my router, I would
> need to reset it if I wanted to change settings on the device.
> It would then revert to its default password, and it might be handy to
> have a web site where I could find out what the new password is if I could
> not locate my manual for the device.

All well and good, which is why these sites exist. Leaving it as default in
normal use, however, is very dodgy.

Rojo Habe

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad
Only problem is, if I change the password on my Vonage router, does that
stop Vonage from accessing it for necessary updates?

Similarly, my cable modem becomes inaccessible to visiting engineers. Not
really that much a hacker would want to do to my cable modem though...

To be safe, one can make use of those sites to return your passwords to
default should maintenance from outside become necessary.

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
> This is a scary sight... One place where you can get the default passwords
> for just about any hardware. If there was any doubt that not changing the
> default passwords on a router is bad, it should be gone now.... :-(
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

Dustin Harper

Re: More proof that default passwords are bad
Those sites have been around for a long time, also on BBS's back in the day.
Nothing new... Scary? Not really. It's common sense to change the password
if you want to be secure...

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com