bitlocker : (

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Gunna

bitlocker : (
Hi all, read the following negative about bitlocker. Can anyone confirm
these and even point me towards an official MS document confirming these

1. non-Microsoft software updates will require you to completely disable
BitLocker before you start
2. System upgrades will require you to decrypt the volume
3. Only volume containing OS and system files will be encrypted. Other
volumes are nto encrypted by bitlocker but can be encrypted using EFS.

Will there be any support for bitlocker using certificates issued by Active
Directory enabled PKI services? (microsoft certificate services)
benedito78

Re: bitlocker : (
1. I don't see why any software would require disabling bitlocker, there is
no reason to do so.

2. Have not heard of this either nor would there be reason to do so.

3. You can encrypt your system volume partition, you can also encrypt other
volumes but this is not yet supported by Microsoft, meaning if it doesn't
work out well, it doesn't work out well. Service Pack 1 should allow you to
encrypt multiple volumes. Until then you can try www.truecrypt.org

-Lou

"Gunna" <Gunna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, read the following negative about bitlocker. Can anyone confirm
> these and even point me towards an official MS document confirming these
>
> 1. non-Microsoft software updates will require you to completely disable
> BitLocker before you start
> 2. System upgrades will require you to decrypt the volume
> 3. Only volume containing OS and system files will be encrypted. Other
> volumes are nto encrypted by bitlocker but can be encrypted using EFS.
>
> Will there be any support for bitlocker using certificates issued by
> Active
> Directory enabled PKI services? (microsoft certificate services)

Gary Mount

Re: bitlocker : (
1. BitLocker is transparent to any programs. For example you don't have to
convert your NTFS formatted hard drive to fat32 to upgrade software.

2. What do you mean by "System upgrades". Ultimate is the Highest version
and the only version with BitLocker, so there is no Upgrading that can be
done.

3. You can use BitLocker on any drive. There is no GUI for encrypting
volumes other than the volume containing the OS. You use a command line
utility to encrypt other volumes, so I read. I use the graphical interface
included with the SP1 beta.
Service Pack 1 adds the Graphical Interface to easily encrypt other volumes.

"Gunna" <Gunna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, read the following negative about bitlocker. Can anyone confirm
> these and even point me towards an official MS document confirming these
>
> 1. non-Microsoft software updates will require you to completely disable
> BitLocker before you start
> 2. System upgrades will require you to decrypt the volume
> 3. Only volume containing OS and system files will be encrypted. Other
> volumes are nto encrypted by bitlocker but can be encrypted using EFS.
>
> Will there be any support for bitlocker using certificates issued by
> Active
> Directory enabled PKI services? (microsoft certificate services)

Paul Adare

Re: bitlocker : (
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 03:26:21 -0800, Gary Mount wrote:

> 2. What do you mean by "System upgrades". Ultimate is the Highest version
> and the only version with BitLocker, so there is no Upgrading that can be
> done.

Bitlocker is also available in Vista Enterprise Edition.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
Kevin Young

Re: bitlocker : (
"Gunna" <Gunna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi all, read the following negative about bitlocker. Can anyone confirm
> these and even point me towards an official MS document confirming these
>
> 1. non-Microsoft software updates will require you to completely disable
> BitLocker before you start
> 2. System upgrades will require you to decrypt the volume
> 3. Only volume containing OS and system files will be encrypted. Other
> volumes are nto encrypted by bitlocker but can be encrypted using EFS.
>
> Will there be any support for bitlocker using certificates issued by Active
> Directory enabled PKI services? (microsoft certificate services)

I've had to disable Bitlocker when flashing the bios on a Lenovo T60p.
Machine has a TPM so that may have something to do with it though.

Kos

Re: bitlocker : ?
Anyone knows how much performance speed hit on a typical installation.
Gary Mount

Re: bitlocker : ?
With or without a TPM ?

"Kos" <tbanot.com> wrote in message
> Anyone knows how much performance speed hit on a typical installation.

Kos

Re: bitlocker : ?
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:15:35 -0800, "Gary Mount"
<gary_mount@telus.net> wrote:

>With or without a TPM ?

Without. Just wondering if I should just get an hardware encrypted hd
instead if theres much performance hit.

>"Kos" <tbanot.com> wrote in message
>news:7a2kr3d2t2l7ba58m9p59pjqmd76eltsce@4ax.com.. .
>> Anyone knows how much performance speed hit on a typical installation.

Peter

Re: bitlocker : ?
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:15:35 -0800, "Gary Mount"
> <gary_mount@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>With or without a TPM ?

> Without. Just wondering if I should just get an hardware encrypted hd
> instead if theres much performance hit.
>>
>>"Kos" <tbanot.com> wrote in message
>>news:7a2kr3d2t2l7ba58m9p59pjqmd76eltsce@4ax.com. ..
>>> Anyone knows how much performance speed hit on a typical installation.

No performance hit at all here.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada