User Account Control

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

AW

User Account Control
I am new to Vista and I would like to know how to stop the prompt to cancel
or allow a program that I use 50+ times a day in my line of work. I tried to
follow instructions in the help section by going to accessories, run, and
typing secpol.msc but that address cannot be found (this is a brand new
laptop). Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

AW
Bob

Re: User Account Control
To stop the prompt Run regedit. Navigate to the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.
Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.

Be sure to backup your registry first.

"AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to Vista and I would like to know how to stop the prompt to cancel
> or allow a program that I use 50+ times a day in my line of work. I tried
> follow instructions in the help section by going to accessories, run, and
> typing secpol.msc but that address cannot be found (this is a brand new
> laptop). Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
>
> AW

Mark Conrad

Re: User Account Control

Thanks Bob for that tip to "AW", the original poster.

I had a similar problem with UAC, your tip paid off.

Mark-

In article <E_2dndRlNdSx9CvanZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com>,
"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote:

> To stop the prompt Run regedit. Navigate to the registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.
> Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>
> Be sure to backup your registry first.

Bob

Re: User Account Control

Your welcome. Glad to hear your problem is resolved. Thanks for the
feedback.

"Mark Conrad" <noneof@urbusiness.invalid> wrote in message

> Thanks Bob for that tip to "AW", the original poster.
>
> I had a similar problem with UAC, your tip paid off.
>
> Mark-
>

> In article <E_2dndRlNdSx9CvanZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com>,
> "Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>> To stop the prompt Run regedit. Navigate to the registry key
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.
>> Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>>
>> Be sure to backup your registry first.

AW

Re: User Account Control
Thank you very much Bob. Can you tell me a little more specifically how I do
this? I just do my work on my computer. I am not very knowledgeable about
the processes of things. Thanks for your help.

AW

"Bob" wrote:

> To stop the prompt Run regedit. Navigate to the registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.
> Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>
> Be sure to backup your registry first.
>
> "AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am new to Vista and I would like to know how to stop the prompt to cancel
> > or allow a program that I use 50+ times a day in my line of work. I tried
> > follow instructions in the help section by going to accessories, run, and
> > typing secpol.msc but that address cannot be found (this is a brand new
> > laptop). Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
> >
> > AW

Bob

Re: User Account Control
Press Winkey+r. Type regedit. Press Enter. When the registry opens press
CTRL+f. Type ConsentPrompt. Press Enter. Right click the resulting
highlighted file. In the Value Box change the 2 to 0.

Again, be sure to backup your registry first. To backup click File>Export.
Save it in a convenient location. Make sure you save it with the .reg
extension. I suggest you name it "registry backup 2-16-2008.reg". (without
the quotes) As an additional safeguard, I suggest you also create a Restore
Point before making the registry change.

> Thank you very much Bob. Can you tell me a little more specifically how I
> do
> this? I just do my work on my computer. I am not very knowledgeable
> about
> the processes of things. Thanks for your help.
>
> AW
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> To stop the prompt Run regedit. Navigate to the registry key
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.
>> Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
>>
>> Be sure to backup your registry first.
>>
>> "AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am new to Vista and I would like to know how to stop the prompt to
>> >cancel
>> > or allow a program that I use 50+ times a day in my line of work. I
>> > tried
>> > follow instructions in the help section by going to accessories, run,
>> > and
>> > typing secpol.msc but that address cannot be found (this is a brand new
>> > laptop). Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > AW

AW

Re: User Account Control
Bob, thank you very very much for your help.

AW

"Bob" wrote:

> Press Winkey+r. Type regedit. Press Enter. When the registry opens press
> CTRL+f. Type ConsentPrompt. Press Enter. Right click the resulting
> highlighted file. In the Value Box change the 2 to 0.
>
> Again, be sure to backup your registry first. To backup click File>Export.
> Save it in a convenient location. Make sure you save it with the .reg
> extension. I suggest you name it "registry backup 2-16-2008.reg". (without
> the quotes) As an additional safeguard, I suggest you also create a Restore
> Point before making the registry change.
>

> "AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you very much Bob. Can you tell me a little more specifically how I
> > do
> > this? I just do my work on my computer. I am not very knowledgeable
> > about
> > the processes of things. Thanks for your help.
> >
> > AW
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> >> To stop the prompt Run regedit. Navigate to the registry key
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.
> >> Change the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (zero) from 2.
> >>
> >> Be sure to backup your registry first.

Bob

Re: User Account Control
You're very welcome, AW.