How to adjust policy setting?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

LM

How to adjust policy setting?
I'm using Vista Home Premium edition.

After last automatic upgrade my IE was not able to connect to the internet.
Troubleshooter returned the following message:

The fololowing policy might need to be adjusted to allow Windows to connect:
Policy Provider: -
Filter Name: VSWFP_LAYER_ALE_AUTH_CONNECT_V4

I'm using Windows Firewall.

The strange thing is that AOL easily connecting to the web, and neither IE
nor Firefox can NOT.

Help please.

Thank you in advance,
LM

Gary Mount

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
Run gpedit.msc to use the Group Policy Object Editor.

"LM" <LM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista Home Premium edition.
>
> After last automatic upgrade my IE was not able to connect to the
> internet.
> Troubleshooter returned the following message:
>
> The fololowing policy might need to be adjusted to allow Windows to
> connect:
> Policy Provider: -
> Filter Name: VSWFP_LAYER_ALE_AUTH_CONNECT_V4
>
> I'm using Windows Firewall.
>
> The strange thing is that AOL easily connecting to the web, and neither IE
> nor Firefox can NOT.
>
> Help please.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> LM

LM

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
What is gpedit.msc? Where do I find it?

"Gary Mount" wrote:

> Run gpedit.msc to use the Group Policy Object Editor.

Gary Mount

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
Type gpedit.msc in the start button or use the windows key + r and type in
gpedit.msc.
There are various components such as diskmgmt.msc that run in the "Microsoft
Management Console.
From MMC help:
"Microsoft Management Console (MMC) hosts administrative tools that you can
use to administer networks, computers, services, and other system
components. "

> What is gpedit.msc? Where do I find it?
>
> "Gary Mount" wrote:
>
>> Run gpedit.msc to use the Group Policy Object Editor.

Malke

Gary Mount wrote:

> Type gpedit.msc in the start button or use the windows key + r and type in
> gpedit.msc.
> There are various components such as diskmgmt.msc that run in the
> "Microsoft Management Console.
> From MMC help:
> "Microsoft Management Console (MMC) hosts administrative tools that you
> can use to administer networks, computers, services, and other system
> components. "
>
> "LM" <LM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What is gpedit.msc? Where do I find it?
>>
>> "Gary Mount" wrote:
>>
>>> Run gpedit.msc to use the Group Policy Object Editor.

The problem is that the OP has Vista Home Premium and just like XP Home,
gpedit.msc and MMC are not available in that version of Vista.

To the OP: Check in the Windows Update newsgroup for fixes for your issue.

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
LM

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
Yes,

I'm getting 'Window can't fine gpedit.msc' message... Any other ideas?
Gary Mount

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
Try this...
Do one of the following:

• Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.

• At the command prompt, type mmc, and then press ENTER.

Now click Open on the File menu.
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (or wherever your windows directory is
located.
You should see various .msc files you can open.
gpedit.msc should be one of them.

Gary Mount wrote:

> Try this...
> Do one of the following:
>
> ? Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
>
> ? At the command prompt, type mmc, and then press ENTER.
>
> Now click Open on the File menu.
> Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (or wherever your windows directory is
> located.
> You should see various .msc files you can open.
> gpedit.msc should be one of them.

No, the OP won't find gpedit in Vista Home Basic or Premium.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
Gary Mount

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
Ah, that would explain things.

> Gary Mount wrote:
>
>> Try this...
>> Do one of the following:
>>
>> ? Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
>>
>> ? At the command prompt, type mmc, and then press ENTER.
>>
>> Now click Open on the File menu.
>> Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (or wherever your windows directory is
>> located.
>> You should see various .msc files you can open.
>> gpedit.msc should be one of them.

> No, the OP won't find gpedit in Vista Home Basic or Premium.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

LM

Re: How to adjust policy setting?
At last I've got there and found mmc.exe. Do you want me add snap-ins now
(which ones) and then somehow configure them?