Sidebar security mixed up

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Les

Sidebar security mixed up
Hi

Vista Ultimate - fully up to date.

Had been using Sidebar for several months, but now, I just can't get it to
run at all.

99% of the time, I am using the default user account (3 accounts present -
Admin,User and Guest - guest is 'off')

I suspect the problem is of my own doing, but how, I don't know. I had been
playing around with security when trying to overcome a different problem. As
must be obvious, I know next to nothing of configuring the 'security' side
of applications etc.

I am sure that there is no malware present - router firewall/MS firewall/MS
malware stuff, and Avast in use all the time. Scans all clear.

The initial symptoms: I had sidebar running normally, and one day when I
switched on, sidebar hadn't started as usual. When I tried to start it via
the Start menu - popup dialog with: "Windows Sidebar is managed by your
system administrator". When I changed accounts to Administrator, I got
exactly the same popup when trying to run Sidebar there.

I then tried playing around with Sidebar/Properties/Security and despite all
tries, nothing changed the effects - same popup appeared every time.

In the security settings for the app, the user 'Les' is listed on the
various dialogs (where I would suppose it should be). I did alter something
somewhere and got account 'Les' to have Full Control, but that didn't seem
to make a difference.

I got the Owner to be 'Les', still no change.

Is there any 'standard' example of the security settings that I could try to
get this working? Or, how to uninstall / reinstall? Or, indeed any other
suggestions on getting this fixed?

--
regards,
Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Victek

Re: Sidebar security mixed up
> Had been using Sidebar for several months, but now, I just can't get it to
> run at all.
>
> 99% of the time, I am using the default user account (3 accounts present -
> Admin,User and Guest - guest is 'off')
>
> I suspect the problem is of my own doing, but how, I don't know. I had
> been playing around with security when trying to overcome a different
> problem. As must be obvious, I know next to nothing of configuring the
> 'security' side of applications etc.
>
> I am sure that there is no malware present - router firewall/MS
> firewall/MS malware stuff, and Avast in use all the time. Scans all
> clear.
>
> The initial symptoms: I had sidebar running normally, and one day when I
> switched on, sidebar hadn't started as usual. When I tried to start it via
> the Start menu - popup dialog with: "Windows Sidebar is managed by your
> system administrator". When I changed accounts to Administrator, I got
> exactly the same popup when trying to run Sidebar there.
>
> I then tried playing around with Sidebar/Properties/Security and despite
> all tries, nothing changed the effects - same popup appeared every time.
>
> In the security settings for the app, the user 'Les' is listed on the
> various dialogs (where I would suppose it should be). I did alter
> something somewhere and got account 'Les' to have Full Control, but that
> didn't seem to make a difference.
>
> I got the Owner to be 'Les', still no change.
>
> Is there any 'standard' example of the security settings that I could try
> to get this working? Or, how to uninstall / reinstall? Or, indeed any
> other suggestions on getting this fixed?

Try right clicking on the sidebar shortcut and select Run As Administrator
from the menu.

Les

"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Had been using Sidebar for several months, but now, I just can't get it
>> to run at all.
>>
>> 99% of the time, I am using the default user account (3 accounts
>> present - Admin,User and Guest - guest is 'off')
>>
>> I suspect the problem is of my own doing, but how, I don't know. I had
>> been playing around with security when trying to overcome a different
>> problem. As must be obvious, I know next to nothing of configuring the
>> 'security' side of applications etc.
>>
>> I am sure that there is no malware present - router firewall/MS
>> firewall/MS malware stuff, and Avast in use all the time. Scans all
>> clear.
>>
>> The initial symptoms: I had sidebar running normally, and one day when I
>> switched on, sidebar hadn't started as usual. When I tried to start it
>> via the Start menu - popup dialog with: "Windows Sidebar is managed by
>> your system administrator". When I changed accounts to Administrator, I
>> got exactly the same popup when trying to run Sidebar there.
>>
>> I then tried playing around with Sidebar/Properties/Security and despite
>> all tries, nothing changed the effects - same popup appeared every time.
>>
>> In the security settings for the app, the user 'Les' is listed on the
>> various dialogs (where I would suppose it should be). I did alter
>> something somewhere and got account 'Les' to have Full Control, but that
>> didn't seem to make a difference.
>>
>> I got the Owner to be 'Les', still no change.
>>
>> Is there any 'standard' example of the security settings that I could try
>> to get this working? Or, how to uninstall / reinstall? Or, indeed any
>> other suggestions on getting this fixed?

> Try right clicking on the sidebar shortcut and select Run As Administrator
> from the menu.

I should have said - I did already try that and same resulting popup dialog.
Thanks for suggestion though.