How do I copy a CD with Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Mike Tucker

How do I copy a CD with Vista?
Doesn't Vista have a way of copying CD's?

Bob F.

Re: How do I copy a CD with Vista?
"Mike Tucker" <mtucker13@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Doesn't Vista have a way of copying CD's?

yes.

Mike Tucker

"Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Tucker" <mtucker13@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Doesn't Vista have a way of copying CD's?
>>

> yes.

Thank you so much for your kindness and help.

peter

Re: How do I copy a CD with Vista?
open help&support
type in CD Burning.........follow the instructions
peter

> "Bob F." <bob@furtawNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>> "Mike Tucker" <mtucker13@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Doesn't Vista have a way of copying CD's?
>>>

>> yes.

> Thank you so much for your kindness and help.

Richard G. Harper

Re: How do I copy a CD with Vista?
If you're referring to copying an entire disc at once, no it does not.

> If you're referring to copying an entire disc at once, no it does not.

Mike...what people are saying here is that you need to be more specific. Do
you want to copy a commercially bought Music CD?, A music CD you made? A
data CD you made? Is it protected? Do you want an exact image or just the
files copied? etc

Native Vista will copy CD's in many of these cases. Also most PCs come
bundled with 3rd party disk burning programs. Roxio is very popular and has
additional features. Don't expect any of them to do illegal copies for you.
No one will (or at least shouldn't) help you here.
BobF.

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> If you're referring to copying an entire disc at once, no it does not.
>>

> Mike...what people are saying here is that you need to be more specific.
> Do you want to copy a commercially bought Music CD?, A music CD you made?
> A data CD you made? Is it protected? Do you want an exact image or just
> the files copied? etc
>
> Native Vista will copy CD's in many of these cases. Also most PCs come
> bundled with 3rd party disk burning programs. Roxio is very popular and
> has additional features. Don't expect any of them to do illegal copies
> for you. No one will (or at least shouldn't) help you here.

Tell me something: if someone asked you what the best way is to sharpen a
knife, would you tell them how illegal it is to cut someone's throat?

I did mean: how to copy an entire CD, a safety copy of my Vista backup CD.

Regards.

Bruce Chambers

Mike Tucker wrote:

> Tell me something: if someone asked you what the best way is to sharpen
> a knife, would you tell them how illegal it is to cut someone's throat?

No, but we would need to know what kind of knife it was, what it's
intended use is, and what tools you have on hand before being able to
give a truly useful and pertinent answer.

> I did mean: how to copy an entire CD, a safety copy of my Vista backup CD.

This is a start. Now we know that you don't want to copy a CD, after
all, because the Vista installation medium is a DVD. I'm sure that
you'll need to use a 3rd party application to make a usable backup copy.
There are free solutions available, such as CDBurnerXP (which works
just fine on Vista, despite the name), from http://cdburnerxp.se/download.

And, unless you've at least one DVD-ROM and one DVD/RW drive, you can't
make a direct copy, anyway. You'll need to first create an ISO file on
your hard drive, and then burn a new DVD from that ISO file.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mike Tucker

> Mike Tucker wrote:
>>

>> Tell me something: if someone asked you what the best way is to sharpen a
>> knife, would you tell them how illegal it is to cut someone's throat?
>>

> No, but we would need to know what kind of knife it was, what it's
> intended use is, and what tools you have on hand before being able to give
> a truly useful and pertinent answer.
>

>> I did mean: how to copy an entire CD, a safety copy of my Vista backup
>> CD.
>>

> This is a start. Now we know that you don't want to copy a CD, after all,
> because the Vista installation medium is a DVD. I'm sure that you'll need
> to use a 3rd party application to make a usable backup copy. There are
> free solutions available, such as CDBurnerXP (which works just fine on
> Vista, despite the name), from http://cdburnerxp.se/download.
>
> And, unless you've at least one DVD-ROM and one DVD/RW drive, you can't
> make a direct copy, anyway. You'll need to first create an ISO file on
> your hard drive, and then burn a new DVD from that ISO file.

Now I'm confused. I did a Vista backup through Vista's own procedure, and
the system asked me to insert a CD (not a DVD). I did so. Something was
burned to it. And this was the thing I wanted to back up. (Just as I used to
do with floppies back when God was a boy.)

Regards.

Richard G. Harper

Re: How do I copy a CD with Vista?
To repeat - there is no tool in Vista that can copy an entire disc - not a
CD, not a DVD, not one that you have burned, not a backup disc, not one that
you have bought. There is no way to make a copy of an entire disc in Vista.
You need a third party program to do that.