Security Center and Norton 2008

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

gabe

Security Center and Norton 2008
I just updated Norton 2007 and installed Norton 2008, now Security Center
notifies me that I don't have anti-virus protection, but norton appears to be
operating correctly?

Norton also recommends turning off windows firewall? is this appropriate

VicTek

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008
> I just updated Norton 2007 and installed Norton 2008, now Security Center
> notifies me that I don't have anti-virus protection, but norton appears to
> be
> operating correctly?
>
> Norton also recommends turning off windows firewall? is this appropriate

If you're talking about Norton Internet Security 2008 then yes, it's
appropriate to turn off the windows firewall since NIS has it's own
firewall. When the data in the Security Center is incorrect the fix is to
rebuild the repository. If you do a google search of Microsoft NG's you
will find simple instructions. Basically, you turn off a service and rename
the repository folder so the OS will recreate it.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 07:28:02 -0800, gabe
<gabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I just updated Norton 2007 and installed Norton 2008, now Security Center
> notifies me that I don't have anti-virus protection, but norton appears to be
> operating correctly?
>
> Norton also recommends turning off windows firewall? is this appropriate

Don't run two firewalls. You achieve no extra protection, you incur
the extra overhead of running two firewalls, and you run the risk
(probably small, but not zero) of conflicts between them.

See http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../firewall.mspx
which includes the following:

"Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall
from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

"A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
home computers, home networking, and small-business networking
scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause
issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.
One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection
Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial
protection for your computer."

So choose one or the other, not both. Personally, I recommend keeping
the Windows firewall, and uninstalling the Norton one, as well as
everything else Norton. In my view, Norton is the worst security
software on the market.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Charlie42

"VicTek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Basically, you turn off a service and rename
> the repository folder so the OS will recreate it.

Here's the details: In a command prompt window, type:

net stop winmgmt /y

ren %windir%\system32\wbem\repository %windir%\system32\wbem\repository.old
(make sure there is a space between the two paths)

Then restart.

Charlie42
Mejannes

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008
Hi Charlie,

I did what you specified down/up here.
Security center does shut down, but the next line:

ren %windir%\system32\wbem\repository %windir%\system32\wbem\repository.old

doesnt work for me windows says that the syntax is incorrect, and yes I did
make sure that there are spaces between the two paths

Hope you can help me.
I have windows vista home premium, and Norton Internet Security 2008.

Greets,
Mejannes

"Charlie42" wrote:

> "VicTek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Basically, you turn off a service and rename
> > the repository folder so the OS will recreate it.

> Here's the details: In a command prompt window, type:
>
> net stop winmgmt /y
>
> ren %windir%\system32\wbem\repository %windir%\system32\wbem\repository.old
> (make sure there is a space between the two paths)
>
> Then restart.
>
> Charlie42

Charlie42

"Mejannes" <Mejannes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I did what you specified down/up here.
> Security center does shut down, but the next line:
>
> ren %windir%\system32\wbem\repository
> %windir%\system32\wbem\repository.old
>
> doesnt work for me windows says that the syntax is incorrect, and yes I
> did
> make sure that there are spaces between the two paths

Try this instead, run as administrator, remember to stop the winmgmt service
first:

cd\windows\system32\wbem

ren repository repository.old

Charlie42

Mejannes

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008
Tried this but when i enter:

ren repository repository.old

it says acces denied, do you have any idea how this is possible, and whta to
do about it?

I was also wondering if reinstalling could do the trick?

Thanks for you help so far!

Greetz,
Mejannes

"Charlie42" wrote:

> "Mejannes" <Mejannes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I did what you specified down/up here.
> > Security center does shut down, but the next line:
> >
> > ren %windir%\system32\wbem\repository
> > %windir%\system32\wbem\repository.old
> >
> > doesnt work for me windows says that the syntax is incorrect, and yes I
> > did
> > make sure that there are spaces between the two paths

> Try this instead, run as administrator, remember to stop the winmgmt service
> first:
>
> cd\windows\system32\wbem
>
> ren repository repository.old
>
> Charlie42

Charlie42

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008
"Mejannes" <Mejannes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Tried this but when i enter:
>
> ren repository repository.old
>
> it says acces denied, do you have any idea how this is possible, and
> what to do about it?

Are you sure you are running the command prompt as administrator? Go to
Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories, then right-click Command Prompt and
select Run as Administrator. It does not matter what type of user account
you have, you still have to do this.

> I was also wondering if reinstalling could do the trick?

Could be, but the basic problem here is the WMI repository - the same error
may reoccur after reinstalling. Also, removing Norton is a pretty tedious
affair, you will have to run Symantec's uninstallation tool 2 - 3 times with
reboots in between in order to rid your computer completely of the software,
then reinstall.

Charlie42

Mejannes

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008
Well i did run as administrator but it didnt take,
so tried it again and managed to get it running under administrator.

I shut down security center
net stop winmgmt /y

Typed
cd\windows\system32\wbem

and
ren repository repository.old

which worked, but think i made a mistake after that, cause i turned on the
security center instead of restarting the pc.

Now NIS is still not being accepted by windows security center, and i cant
do the procedure again cause now it says that 'a duplicate file already
exists, or the file cannot be found.'

"Charlie42" wrote:

> "Mejannes" <Mejannes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Tried this but when i enter:
> >
> > ren repository repository.old
> >
> > it says acces denied, do you have any idea how this is possible, and
> > what to do about it?

> Are you sure you are running the command prompt as administrator? Go to
> Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories, then right-click Command Prompt and
> select Run as Administrator. It does not matter what type of user account
> you have, you still have to do this.
>
> > I was also wondering if reinstalling could do the trick?

> Could be, but the basic problem here is the WMI repository - the same error
> may reoccur after reinstalling. Also, removing Norton is a pretty tedious
> affair, you will have to run Symantec's uninstallation tool 2 - 3 times with
> reboots in between in order to rid your computer completely of the software,
> then reinstall.
>
> Charlie42

Mejannes

Re: Security Center and Norton 2008