Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

artzoop

Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service
Hi,
Running Vista and am logged on as a member of the Administrators group
and "owner" of C: drive, but cannot start the Diagnostic Policy
Service. Error 5: Access is denied.

Any suggestions how to solve this much appreciated!

Thank you,

Greg B.
AlexB

Re: Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service
You may try to add a group to Local Users and Groups: "Diagnostic Policy
Service" and add yourself to the group as a user.

"artzoop" <artzoop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Running Vista and am logged on as a member of the Administrators group
> and "owner" of C: drive, but cannot start the Diagnostic Policy
> Service. Error 5: Access is denied.
>
> Any suggestions how to solve this much appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Greg B.

artzoop

Re: Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service

Thanks, Alex, for your response. I don't see how adding a new group
and me as a user would have any bearing on permissions to start/stop a
service?

Greg
Malke

artzoop wrote:

> Thanks, Alex, for your response. I don't see how adding a new group
> and me as a user would have any bearing on permissions to start/stop a
> service?
>
> Greg

It wouldn't. AlexB gives advice that is, at best, peculiar and wrong. You
need to run services.msc elevated. This isn't the same as being an
administrator in XP.

Start Orb>Search box>type: services.msc

When it appears above, right-click on it and choose "run as Administrator".
Now you'll have the permissions necessary to start the service. I'm
assuming this box is not a domain member.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
artzoop

Re: Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service
Thank you, Malke. I ran services.msc as Administrator and tried to
start the DPS service, but I still get the same "Error 5: Access is
denied" messsage.

This computer is on a domain. Does that mean I have to be a domain
administrator? How about when I take this computer home (off the
domain) and login locally? Maybe your suggestion would work then.

I appreciate your help.

Greg

Malke

artzoop wrote:

> Thank you, Malke. I ran services.msc as Administrator and tried to
> start the DPS service, but I still get the same "Error 5: Access is
> denied" messsage.
>
> This computer is on a domain. Does that mean I have to be a domain
> administrator? How about when I take this computer home (off the
> domain) and login locally? Maybe your suggestion would work then.

Yes, you must be a domain administrator to make changes to your services.
You don't need to take the machine home to log in locally. I absolutely am
not saying this to hurt your feelings, but based on this post I strongly
suggest you speak to your IT Dept. I get the distinct feeling that you were
thinking about taking the machine home and removing it from the domain
entirely (making it part of a Workgroup) and that will cause you a lot more
problems.

If I'm wrong about your skill level then I apologize.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
artzoop

Re: Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service
Thank you, Malke, for your response.

I reread my last response and see how it sounds naive. Of course, I
don't need to take my laptop home to login locally. I said that as it
indirectly refers to the root of my issue -- when I take my laptop
home, I cannot connect to the internet. I cannot run Diagnostic
Policy Service to investigate why. (I don't take it off the domain at
home, by the way).

I logged in locally as a member of the Administrators group and ran
services.msc "as administrator", but still receive the same access
error. If the resolution requires a Domain Administrator intervention,
what exactly do I ask him to configure so that I have appropriate
permissions to troubleshoot why I cannot connect to the internet from
home? (No problem with my XP laptop, incidently). Is there a setting
in the local security policy that can enable local administrators to
have access to starting and stopping any service -- as well as access
to change any security policy?

Thank you,

Greg
Malke

artzoop wrote:

> Thank you, Malke, for your response.
>
> I reread my last response and see how it sounds naive. Of course, I
> don't need to take my laptop home to login locally. I said that as it
> indirectly refers to the root of my issue -- when I take my laptop
> home, I cannot connect to the internet. I cannot run Diagnostic
> Policy Service to investigate why. (I don't take it off the domain at
> home, by the way).
>
> I logged in locally as a member of the Administrators group and ran
> services.msc "as administrator", but still receive the same access
> error. If the resolution requires a Domain Administrator intervention,
> what exactly do I ask him to configure so that I have appropriate
> permissions to troubleshoot why I cannot connect to the internet from
> home? (No problem with my XP laptop, incidently). Is there a setting
> in the local security policy that can enable local administrators to
> have access to starting and stopping any service -- as well as access
> to change any security policy?

Thanks for the very good explanation, Greg and also thanks for understanding
that I wasn't trying to insult you.

I think that rather than chase after that Group Policy error at this point,
I'd take a look at your network setup at home such as:

1. How do you connect to the Internet?
2. With what hardware?
3. Wired or wireless?

Some modems and routers aren't really compatible with Vista; some need to
have firmware updated and some can only be replaced.

Perhaps your IT Dept. has your wireless set up so you can't connect to your
home wireless network (I'm just guessing at this point, throwing out
ideas).

Perhaps the problem is that the domain-member laptop is only looking to get
its IP/DNS from the domain server and needs to either have the Alternate
Configuration set up or third-party multi-network management software
installed.

See where I'm going with this?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
artzoop

Re: Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service
Thanks, Malke,

I was able to connect from home by changing the tcp/ip properties to
automatic ip detection. I was not able to do an ipconfig /release
from a cmd window, however, as I got a "must be elevated" or similar
message. Is that elevatable via one of the local security policies?

For future reference, I'd still like to know how to enable
Administrators on my machine be able to start/stop any service and
change any local security policy.

Thanks for your help!

Greg
Malke

artzoop wrote:

> Thanks, Malke,
>
> I was able to connect from home by changing the tcp/ip properties to
> automatic ip detection. I was not able to do an ipconfig /release
> from a cmd window, however, as I got a "must be elevated" or similar
> message. Is that elevatable via one of the local security policies?
>
> For future reference, I'd still like to know how to enable
> Administrators on my machine be able to start/stop any service and
> change any local security policy.

Glad you figured it out. As for the cmd, you can elevate it yourself.

Start Orb>Search box>type: cmd
When it appears above, right-click on it and choose "Run as administrator".

You'll need to be a local administrator to change services on the local
machine and a domain administrator to change services on a domain
workstation, although what you do locally won't matter once the machine is
joined to the Mothership. It will get its Group Policy settings from the
domain server then.

Malke