Vista logon with smart card

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

TRossi

Vista logon with smart card
How do I configure Vista to allow me logon to my home computer using a DoD
issued smart card. It is currently used to access my DoD e-mail and for
e-signature authorization, and has the ability to logon to DoD owned systems
& networks. The card reader and 3rd party software (Activeclient) are both
cuurently installed and working properly
--
R.L.T.W.
Paul Adare

Re: Vista logon with smart card
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:28:01 -0800, TRossi wrote:

> How do I configure Vista to allow me logon to my home computer using a DoD
> issued smart card. It is currently used to access my DoD e-mail and for
> e-signature authorization, and has the ability to logon to DoD owned systems
> & networks. The card reader and 3rd party software (Activeclient) are both
> cuurently installed and working properly

Unless your computer is joined to the domain/forest from which the card was
issued, you can't use the card for logon. Smart card logon to a Windows
system requires Kerberos authentication and in a work group environment you
don't have Kerberos.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
Allan

"TRossi" <TRossi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I configure Vista to allow me logon to my home computer using a DoD
> issued smart card. It is currently used to access my DoD e-mail and for
> e-signature authorization, and has the ability to logon to DoD owned
> systems
> & networks. The card reader and 3rd party software (Activeclient) are
> both
> cuurently installed and working properly
> --
> R.L.T.W.

Why do you even want to be able to use a government-owned smart card on your
personal computer? You need to set up a smart card for your own personal
usage and keep the two applications separate for security reasons. I don't
think you have thought this through properly.

--
Allan

TRossi

Re: Vista logon with smart card
Paul,

Is this a Vista OS issue? DoD owned laptops running XP which are issued by
my HQ are configured to allow smart card login without network / domain
connection. The initial smart card login requires netwrok / domain
connection, but all usage after does not. And to be honest I have no idea
what a Kerberos is. I am not an IT person just an end user with a bit more
knowledge than the average joe.
--
R.L.T.W.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:54:01 -0800, TRossi wrote:

> Is this a Vista OS issue? DoD owned laptops running XP which are issued by
> my HQ are configured to allow smart card login without network / domain
> connection. The initial smart card login requires netwrok / domain
> connection, but all usage after does not.

No, this is not a Vista issue. The DoD owned laptops are joined to one of
the DoD domains which is why you can logon with the CAC. They need to be
connected to the domain for the initial logon at which time logon
credentials are cached. Once the credentials are cached, they can logon
with no connection.
Your home computer is not joined to one of the DoD domains so you'll never
be able to use your CAC for logon.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
TRossi

Re: Vista logon with smart card
Paul,

Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but now I know.
--
R.L.T.W.

"Paul Adare" wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:54:01 -0800, TRossi wrote:
>
> > Is this a Vista OS issue? DoD owned laptops running XP which are issued by
> > my HQ are configured to allow smart card login without network / domain
> > connection. The initial smart card login requires netwrok / domain
> > connection, but all usage after does not.

> No, this is not a Vista issue. The DoD owned laptops are joined to one of
> the DoD domains which is why you can logon with the CAC. They need to be
> connected to the domain for the initial logon at which time logon
> credentials are cached. Once the credentials are cached, they can logon
> with no connection.
> Your home computer is not joined to one of the DoD domains so you'll never
> be able to use your CAC for logon.
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> MVP - Virtual Machines
> http://www.identit.ca
> Overflow on /dev/null; please empty the bit bucket.

Chief

RE: Vista logon with smart card
TRossi,
Disregard the gentlemens answers below, they obviously do not know your
needs for CAC login (AKO Guest Acct Management, LOGSA, HRC, etc.

Here is what you need to do:
1. Login to AKO, go to "Quick Links" "CAC Resource Center"
2. Follow the instructions and download Active Client 6.0 or 6.1 (32 bit file)
3. Open the middleware (Active Client), go to the "Tools" tab, "Advanced",
"Make Certificates Available to Windows"
4. Register your CAC with AKO (unless you have already done so from a
military domain).

This will get you going...........
Chief Out

"TRossi" wrote:

> How do I configure Vista to allow me logon to my home computer using a DoD
> issued smart card. It is currently used to access my DoD e-mail and for
> e-signature authorization, and has the ability to logon to DoD owned systems
> & networks. The card reader and 3rd party software (Activeclient) are both
> cuurently installed and working properly
> --
> R.L.T.W.

Chief

RE: Vista logon with smart card
I forgot to mention if you need a driver for that older model reader for XP
or Vista, go to
http://www.scbsolutions.com/support.htm

"TRossi" wrote:

> How do I configure Vista to allow me logon to my home computer using a DoD
> issued smart card. It is currently used to access my DoD e-mail and for
> e-signature authorization, and has the ability to logon to DoD owned systems
> & networks. The card reader and 3rd party software (Activeclient) are both
> cuurently installed and working properly
> --
> R.L.T.W.

Gretchen

Citibank virtual numbers
Anyone know how to resolve the incompatibility issues with Vista and
Citibank credit cards virtual card numbers?
Thanks

Bob

Re: Citibank virtual numbers
Use the online version instead of the downloaded version.