not enough permission to write to a folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

rtdavide@yahoo.com

not enough permission to write to a folder
My logitech webcam went wierd on me today ....meaning it got stuck in
a loop trying to update the drivers....
and I needed to remove it and reinstall.

But i ran into the same type of errors reinstalling it.

error1317. An error occured while attempting to create the directory C:
\ProgramData\logitech\QuickCam

I was on the logitech support line and basically it seems like a
windows issue of not being granted enough permission to write these
folders. they could not advise me further and suggested i contact MS
about how to resolve this.

I had installed this camera before on Home Premium but over the
weekend upgraded to Ultimate.
The camera had initially installed fine, but today on bootup it seemed
to hang trying to update.

I have UAC turned off, and am the sole user on the computer. I have
administrative rights.

I have set the permissions on the folders logitech tries to create to
ownership under my name, but it seems to make no difference. the
ProgramData folder seems to have no restrictions on it when checking
the permissions on the security tab under it's properties.

I had temporarily disabled the Panda Firewall and AV software as per
request, but have not been able to get past this.

any suggestions?

thanks
AlexB

Re: not enough permission to write to a folder
Turn the UAC back on. It is dangerous to have it off. Boot to safe mode and
install/uninstall waht you want. ill be much easier.

Also, you don't wuite understand what the adm rights are.

I think one crucial element in your protocol is missing.

You are not the administrator and will never be. Administrator is an object.

You can temporarily give yourselves rights to perform some operations as if
you were Administrator, yes. Your power still will be limited. Actually you
do not need more than that.

In order to do what you want you will have to open "Local Users And Groups"
GUI (either typing lusrmgr.msc in Windows\system32\ -- do not forget to open
Command Prompt as "run as Administrator" - take a notice!!!) or if you have
Home or Home Premium you should go thru Control panel> System and
Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Local Users and Groups.

Open up thumbnail Groups, open up Group "Administrators" (nb: it is plural)
and you will see the object "administrator" in there. Add yourselves to this
group. Close the GUI.

You may have a somewhat easier life from now on but it may not be enough.
You may also need to establish yourselves as a person who has the right to
write into certain folders if you want.

Go to that folder, left click>>Properties>>Security tab>>Edit>>Add>>type in
your name>>Close that window, Check checkbox "Full Control">>Apply>>OK.
Now you will have the right to do what you want in this folder and ALL its
subfolders. You will never be denied any access. You should exercise this
power judiciously and on a limited basis.

<rtdavide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My logitech webcam went wierd on me today ....meaning it got stuck in
> a loop trying to update the drivers....
> and I needed to remove it and reinstall.
>
> But i ran into the same type of errors reinstalling it.
>
> error1317. An error occured while attempting to create the directory C:
> \ProgramData\logitech\QuickCam
>
> I was on the logitech support line and basically it seems like a
> windows issue of not being granted enough permission to write these
> folders. they could not advise me further and suggested i contact MS
> about how to resolve this.
>
> I had installed this camera before on Home Premium but over the
> weekend upgraded to Ultimate.
> The camera had initially installed fine, but today on bootup it seemed
> to hang trying to update.
>
> I have UAC turned off, and am the sole user on the computer. I have
> administrative rights.
>
> I have set the permissions on the folders logitech tries to create to
> ownership under my name, but it seems to make no difference. the
> ProgramData folder seems to have no restrictions on it when checking
> the permissions on the security tab under it's properties.
>

> I had temporarily disabled the Panda Firewall and AV software as per
> request, but have not been able to get past this.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> thanks

Mr. Arnold

Re: not enough permission to write to a folder

<rtdavide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My logitech webcam went wierd on me today ....meaning it got stuck in
> a loop trying to update the drivers....
> and I needed to remove it and reinstall.
>
> But i ran into the same type of errors reinstalling it.
>
> error1317. An error occured while attempting to create the directory C:
> \ProgramData\logitech\QuickCam
>
> I was on the logitech support line and basically it seems like a
> windows issue of not being granted enough permission to write these
> folders. they could not advise me further and suggested i contact MS
> about how to resolve this.
>
> I had installed this camera before on Home Premium but over the
> weekend upgraded to Ultimate.
> The camera had initially installed fine, but today on bootup it seemed
> to hang trying to update.
>
> I have UAC turned off, and am the sole user on the computer. I have
> administrative rights.
>
> I have set the permissions on the folders logitech tries to create to
> ownership under my name, but it seems to make no difference. the
> ProgramData folder seems to have no restrictions on it when checking
> the permissions on the security tab under it's properties.
>

> I had temporarily disabled the Panda Firewall and AV software as per
> request, but have not been able to get past this.
>
> any suggestions?

What are the permissions by other accounts on that folder have? I found in
my case where permissions on a folder by another account like the Everyone
superseded my my Admin account permissions and was blocking my rights.

Les

"AlexB" <alexb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> In order to do what you want you will have to open "Local Users And
> Groups" GUI (either typing lusrmgr.msc in Windows\system32\ -- do not
> forget to open Command Prompt as "run as Administrator" - take a
> notice!!!) or if you have Home or Home Premium you should go thru Control
> panel> System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer
> Management>Local Users and Groups.
>
> Open up thumbnail Groups, open up Group "Administrators" (nb: it is
> plural) and you will see the object "administrator" in there. Add
> yourselves to this group. Close the GUI.
>
> You may have a somewhat easier life from now on but it may not be enough.
> You may also need to establish yourselves as a person who has the right to
> write into certain folders if you want.
>
> Go to that folder, left click>>Properties>>Security tab>>Edit>>Add>>type
> in your name>>Close that window, Check checkbox "Full Control">>Apply>>OK.
> Now you will have the right to do what you want in this folder and ALL its
> subfolders. You will never be denied any access. You should exercise this
> power judiciously and on a limited basis.

Hi

I have followed your instructions above, and the first part, adding myself
to the
Administrator group helped me very much.

However, when I try the second part, I get as far as :
Go to that folder, left click>>Properties>>Security tab>>

but no further - I then get an error dialog box when I click on "Edit" -
the error box says:

"Can't open access control editor. Invalid syntax" and has an OK button.

Any ideas how to fix that, or how to get around it?

--
regards,
Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland