How do I update a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain to include GP's for Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

webJose is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I update a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain to include GP's for Vista?
Pretty much my title says it all. I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 forest (1 domain), and I have this workstation that is Vista Ultimate. I would like to administer this new Vista computer via Group Policy, but I would like to have the COMPLETE set of policies.

What I found @ Microsoft is the download of the .admx files, but it clearly states that those cannot be read by any OS other than Vista and Windows Server 2008. So I'm pretty much clueless about how to update my GPO's to include Vista's.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.
__________________
Jose Ramirez
San Jose, Costa Rica
Paul Shapiro

Re: How do I update a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain to include GP's for Vista?
Login to a Vista workstation as a Domain Admin, or some other account with
permission to edit Group Policy. From the Run menu type gpmc.msc, which will
bring up Vista's Group Policy Console. That should bring up the domain's
group policy for editing, with the Vista editing capabilities.

"webJose" <webJose.34mr4d@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Pretty much my title says it all. I have a Windows Server 2003 R2
> forest (1 domain), and I have this workstation that is Vista Ultimate.
> I would like to administer this new Vista computer via Group Policy, but
> I would like to have the COMPLETE set of policies.
>
> What I found @ Microsoft is the download of the .admx files, but it
> clearly states that those cannot be read by any OS other than Vista and
> Windows Server 2008. So I'm pretty much clueless about how to update my
> GPO's to include Vista's.
>
> Any ideas? Much appreciated.

webJose is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Seems to be working. Will test it in the afternoon.

Does this mean that there is no way to have this functionality set up in a Windows Server 2003 domain controller?
__________________
Jose Ramirez
San Jose, Costa Rica
Susan Bradley

webJose wrote:
> Thanks! Seems to be working. Will test it in the afternoon.
>
> Does this mean that there is no way to have this functionality set up
> in a Windows Server 2003 domain controller?

Yup.
Susan Bradley

webJose wrote:
> Thanks! Seems to be working. Will test it in the afternoon.
>
> Does this mean that there is no way to have this functionality set up
> in a Windows Server 2003 domain controller?

And if you deploy Vista sp1 you lose the GPMC on the Vista.

jodo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change domain settings of all vista workstations in 2003 server
When you log on to your vista machine that is a member of the domain, when you run the gpmc.msc command which will bring up Vista's Group Policy Console, it brings up the domain's group policy for editing. Does this change the security policy for the entire domain or just that vista workstation?

Also if this does change the domain security policy for the entire domain, does this mean that each vista member can change the policy from their machine? Is there not a way to make one computer have the domain security settings only and push it to all of the other workstations in the domain?

Also when you upgrade the vista workstation to service pack 1, and the gpmc.msc is removed and you want to change the domain security policy for all computers, how would you do this?
Paul Shapiro

Re: How do I update a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain to include GP's for Vista?
For administering domain group policy from Vista SP1, download the Remote
Server Administration Tools (RSAT) from Microsoft. It includes the updated
group policy management console to replace the one removed by Vista's SP1.