Unable to access files on external hard drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

The Stoat

Unable to access files on external hard drive
I have just recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista 32 Bit Home
Premium. I have fitted my old computer's hard drive into an external case
and I'm accessing it via USB2 to get my old files off. Certain files I
cannot access - it says I do not have the privileges to access these files
although I am an administrator. I have been through the process of Right
click, properties, security and then attempt to add my username to the list
and/or give full access but it still won't let me in.

Can anyone advise where to go from here? Thanks for any help.

Matt.
Bob

Re: Unable to access files on external hard drive
Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista

http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm

"The Stoat" <TheStoat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista 32 Bit Home
> Premium. I have fitted my old computer's hard drive into an external case
> and I'm accessing it via USB2 to get my old files off. Certain files I
> cannot access - it says I do not have the privileges to access these files
> although I am an administrator. I have been through the process of Right
> click, properties, security and then attempt to add my username to the
> list
> and/or give full access but it still won't let me in.
>
> Can anyone advise where to go from here? Thanks for any help.
>
> Matt.

The Stoat

Re: Unable to access files on external hard drive
Thanks Bob.

"Bob" wrote:

> Add "Take Ownership" to right-click menu in Vista
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-owne...menu-vista.htm
>

> "The Stoat" <TheStoat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista 32 Bit Home
> > Premium. I have fitted my old computer's hard drive into an external case
> > and I'm accessing it via USB2 to get my old files off. Certain files I
> > cannot access - it says I do not have the privileges to access these files
> > although I am an administrator. I have been through the process of Right
> > click, properties, security and then attempt to add my username to the
> > list
> > and/or give full access but it still won't let me in.
> >
> > Can anyone advise where to go from here? Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Matt.

Bob

Re: Unable to access files on external hard drive
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.