Windows Vista Firewall Problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ReneeA65

Windows Vista Firewall Problems
I'm running Vista on my new laptop and have had a couple problems with my
firewall turning off by itself. I do have McAfee on it that also keeps
saying that there is an error with security and that it has stopped running.
It does this everytime I turn it on and go online. I do have an additional
anti-virus program called Threatfire which is another free downloadable
program that was suggested by a couple of local computer techs. Whenever I
run a virus scan everything comes up clean with the exception of Threatfire
alerting me several times of potential malware that I've quarantined. I
noticed on a previous question that a anti-virus program called "AVG" is
mentioned and another download through Kaspersky.com. Has anyone else even
heard of ThreatFire and is it comparable to these other free antivirus
programs??? Any suggestions would be great. I need all the help I can get.
Thanks.
Brink

Re: Windows Vista Firewall Problems

ReneeA65;601928 Wrote:
> I'm running Vista on my new laptop and have had a couple problems with
> my
> firewall turning off by itself. I do have McAfee on it that also keeps
> saying that there is an error with security and that it has stopped
> running.
> It does this everytime I turn it on and go online. I do have an
> additional
> anti-virus program called Threatfire which is another free downloadable
> program that was suggested by a couple of local computer techs.
> Whenever I
> run a virus scan everything comes up clean with the exception of
> Threatfire
> alerting me several times of potential malware that I've quarantined. I
> noticed on a previous question that a anti-virus program called "AVG"
> is
> mentioned and another download through Kaspersky.com. Has anyone else
> even
> heard of ThreatFire and is it comparable to these other free antivirus
> programs??? Any suggestions would be great. I need all the help I can
> get.
> Thanks.

Hi Renee,

You can only have one Firewall program installed and running at one
time in Vista to avoid having them conflict with each other and cause
problems like the one you are having. Windows Firewall will usually turn
itself off when it detects another firewall program running. To solve
this you will need to pick the Firewall program that you like and
uninstall the others and turn Windows Firewall On or Off based on your
decision.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mick Murphy

RE: Windows Vista Firewall Problems
As Shaun told you:2 Firewalls don't mix!

And neither do 2 runnng anti-viruses!
You are asking for trouble!

Avast is a low resources using anti-virus(also free), and is vista 32bit and
64bit compatible

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & destroy is a very good anti-spyware program to install, and
update and scan your system with once a month.

If I was you, I would uninstall McAfee and threatfire???????.

Use Vista's firewall,and the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs that i
have left you links for.

"ReneeA65" wrote:

> I'm running Vista on my new laptop and have had a couple problems with my
> firewall turning off by itself. I do have McAfee on it that also keeps
> saying that there is an error with security and that it has stopped running.
> It does this everytime I turn it on and go online. I do have an additional
> anti-virus program called Threatfire which is another free downloadable
> program that was suggested by a couple of local computer techs. Whenever I
> run a virus scan everything comes up clean with the exception of Threatfire
> alerting me several times of potential malware that I've quarantined. I
> noticed on a previous question that a anti-virus program called "AVG" is
> mentioned and another download through Kaspersky.com. Has anyone else even
> heard of ThreatFire and is it comparable to these other free antivirus
> programs??? Any suggestions would be great. I need all the help I can get.
> Thanks.

Robinb

Re: Windows Vista Firewall Problems
I do not like threatfire- it messed up one of my computers real bad
I use AVG free for antivirus
and yes you cannot run more than one antivirus program and you cannot run
more than one firewall program. Mega conflicts if you do so

robin
> As Shaun told you:2 Firewalls don't mix!
>
> And neither do 2 runnng anti-viruses!
> You are asking for trouble!

> Avast is a low resources using anti-virus(also free), and is vista 32bit
> and
> 64bit compatible
>
> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>
> Spybot Search & destroy is a very good anti-spyware program to install,
> and
> update and scan your system with once a month.
>
> If I was you, I would uninstall McAfee and threatfire???????.
>
> Use Vista's firewall,and the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs that i
> have left you links for.
>
> "ReneeA65" wrote:
>
>> I'm running Vista on my new laptop and have had a couple problems with my
>> firewall turning off by itself. I do have McAfee on it that also keeps
>> saying that there is an error with security and that it has stopped
>> running.
>> It does this everytime I turn it on and go online. I do have an
>> additional
>> anti-virus program called Threatfire which is another free downloadable
>> program that was suggested by a couple of local computer techs. Whenever
>> run a virus scan everything comes up clean with the exception of
>> Threatfire
>> alerting me several times of potential malware that I've quarantined. I
>> noticed on a previous question that a anti-virus program called "AVG" is
>> mentioned and another download through Kaspersky.com. Has anyone else
>> even
>> heard of ThreatFire and is it comparable to these other free antivirus
>> programs??? Any suggestions would be great. I need all the help I can
>> get.
>> Thanks.

Firehorse

Re: Windows Vista Firewall Problems
I've just looked at this thread, as I have been having the same problems too.
Every time that I start up my computer my Windows Firewall keeps saying that
I have turned it off though my Norton Protection Centre keeps telling me that
it's Firewall is secure and that my Spyware (Spysweeper) has been switched
off, though it hasn't been. When I go to my Windows Security Centre to
switch the Windows Firewall back on, it is saying under the Malware section
that it can't detect any Virus protection program, which scares me, though
when I check back with the Norton Security Centre, it says that the Virus
protection is 'secure'. It's making me go around in circles with all these
alerts that keep coming up upon start up and worrying if my computer is
properly protected.

I've been in touch with HP help technicians, but they say that I should
switch off my Norton Firewall by uninstalling it and seeing if the problem
persists with the Windows Firewall alerts. The Norton techs, keep repeating
the problem back to me and haven't been much help at all - though they have
said it is a conflict with the two firewalls and I shouldn't be worried about
it. Yet I still have this annoying problem with the alerts coming up all the
time.

What is annoying is that I have just got all these alerts come up in the
past two weeks. Before they were all working fine. Should I get rid of one
of my firewalls ....Norton or Windows Vista's??? Is one better than the
other?

Why is the problem suddenly arising now when it was working fine before?

"Robinb" wrote:

> I do not like threatfire- it messed up one of my computers real bad
> I use AVG free for antivirus
> and yes you cannot run more than one antivirus program and you cannot run
> more than one firewall program. Mega conflicts if you do so
>
> robin
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As Shaun told you:2 Firewalls don't mix!
> >
> > And neither do 2 runnng anti-viruses!
> > You are asking for trouble!

> > Avast is a low resources using anti-virus(also free), and is vista 32bit
> > and
> > 64bit compatible
> >
> > http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
> >
> > Spybot Search & destroy is a very good anti-spyware program to install,
> > and
> > update and scan your system with once a month.
> >
> > If I was you, I would uninstall McAfee and threatfire???????.
> >
> > Use Vista's firewall,and the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs that i
> > have left you links for.
> >
> > "ReneeA65" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running Vista on my new laptop and have had a couple problems with my
> >> firewall turning off by itself. I do have McAfee on it that also keeps
> >> saying that there is an error with security and that it has stopped
> >> running.
> >> It does this everytime I turn it on and go online. I do have an
> >> additional
> >> anti-virus program called Threatfire which is another free downloadable
> >> program that was suggested by a couple of local computer techs. Whenever
> >> run a virus scan everything comes up clean with the exception of
> >> Threatfire
> >> alerting me several times of potential malware that I've quarantined. I
> >> noticed on a previous question that a anti-virus program called "AVG" is
> >> mentioned and another download through Kaspersky.com. Has anyone else
> >> even
> >> heard of ThreatFire and is it comparable to these other free antivirus
> >> programs??? Any suggestions would be great. I need all the help I can
> >> get.
> >> Thanks.

Firehorse

Re: Windows Vista Firewall Problems
PS. I am running Windows Vista 64bit on my computer.

"Firehorse" wrote:

> I've just looked at this thread, as I have been having the same problems too.
> Every time that I start up my computer my Windows Firewall keeps saying that
> I have turned it off though my Norton Protection Centre keeps telling me that
> it's Firewall is secure and that my Spyware (Spysweeper) has been switched
> off, though it hasn't been. When I go to my Windows Security Centre to
> switch the Windows Firewall back on, it is saying under the Malware section
> that it can't detect any Virus protection program, which scares me, though
> when I check back with the Norton Security Centre, it says that the Virus
> protection is 'secure'. It's making me go around in circles with all these
> alerts that keep coming up upon start up and worrying if my computer is
> properly protected.
>
> I've been in touch with HP help technicians, but they say that I should
> switch off my Norton Firewall by uninstalling it and seeing if the problem
> persists with the Windows Firewall alerts. The Norton techs, keep repeating
> the problem back to me and haven't been much help at all - though they have
> said it is a conflict with the two firewalls and I shouldn't be worried about
> it. Yet I still have this annoying problem with the alerts coming up all the
> time.
>
> What is annoying is that I have just got all these alerts come up in the
> past two weeks. Before they were all working fine. Should I get rid of one
> of my firewalls ....Norton or Windows Vista's??? Is one better than the
> other?
>
> Why is the problem suddenly arising now when it was working fine before?
>

> "Robinb" wrote:
>
> > I do not like threatfire- it messed up one of my computers real bad
> > I use AVG free for antivirus
> > and yes you cannot run more than one antivirus program and you cannot run
> > more than one firewall program. Mega conflicts if you do so
> >
> > robin
> > "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > As Shaun told you:2 Firewalls don't mix!
> > >
> > > And neither do 2 runnng anti-viruses!
> > > You are asking for trouble!

> > > Avast is a low resources using anti-virus(also free), and is vista 32bit
> > > and
> > > 64bit compatible
> > >
> > > http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
> > >
> > > Spybot Search & destroy is a very good anti-spyware program to install,
> > > and
> > > update and scan your system with once a month.
> > >
> > > If I was you, I would uninstall McAfee and threatfire???????.
> > >
> > > Use Vista's firewall,and the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs that i
> > > have left you links for.

DL

Re: Windows Vista Firewall Problems
If you install a Internet Security application, it should switch off the Win
Firewall, and if that IS solution is recognised by the Win Security Centre
you should see no problems
Depending what version of Norton is involved, and assuming your Spysweeper
is a running process (ie you dont have to run Spysweeper manually) the two
of these may be causing conflicts.
If spysweeper is a running process I would suggest uninstalling this,
rebooting & retesting

news3C15347-39F3-403A-99FA-C3F6144557B5@microsoft.com...